Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 11:12 AM   11
Jenn95
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 268
Thank you very very much for all your replies!! Yes, I think I am going to go the route of at home insemination for a while. They made me feel like I'm a whale I'm unsure if I'm ovulating because today I was OFFICIALLY diagnosed with PCOS BUT!... my past three cycles have been 27 days like CLOCKWORK! So idk! I THINK I'm ovulating! Since my cycles are now so predictable! I will be using OPK's, CP, and CM to determine Ovulation. Today is CD7 I plan on trying this cycle! Forget the clinic. They are really only worried about their success rates... and for bigger women it's harder to get pregnant! And thank you lisap2008! I will go check over at my other post now! I appreciate the reply!!



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 11:37 AM   12
lisap2008
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn95 View Post
Thank you very very much for all your replies!! Yes, I think I am going to go the route of at home insemination for a while. They made me feel like I'm a whale I'm unsure if I'm ovulating because today I was OFFICIALLY diagnosed with PCOS BUT!... my past three cycles have been 27 days like CLOCKWORK! So idk! I THINK I'm ovulating! Since my cycles are now so predictable! I will be using OPK's, CP, and CM to determine Ovulation. Today is CD7 I plan on trying this cycle! Forget the clinic. They are really only worried about their success rates... and for bigger women it's harder to get pregnant! And thank you lisap2008! I will go check over at my other post now! I appreciate the reply!!
So sorry they were so rude about it, did they do a ultrasound or blood work or are they just diagnosing PCOS based on symptoms and weight?
With your cycles becoming regular I believe your fertility has improved with the weight loss ,studies have shown an improvement in fertility with as little as 20 pound loss, sticking with a high protein nutrient rich diet can help too.



Status: Online
 
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 12:11 PM   13
Jenn95
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisap2008 View Post
So sorry they were so rude about it, did they do a ultrasound or blood work or are they just diagnosing PCOS based on symptoms and weight?
With your cycles becoming regular I believe your fertility has improved with the weight loss ,studies have shown an improvement in fertility with as little as 20 pound loss, sticking with a high protein nutrient rich diet can help too.
They didn't do blood work today (she does want to do blood work on CD21 to see if I actually ovulate on my own of not). But she did do an ultrasound and said she saw many little follicles on my ovaries that she said "looked like typical PCOS ovaries". So that ultrasound along with my other "symptoms" (Weight, irregular periods, facial hair (ew I know), deep voice, etc) lead her to diagnose me with PCOS. BUT my question is... I know women with PCOS shouldn't use OPK's....because they tend to get "false positives".... but I RARELY ever get positives at all! Am I able to use OPK's (non-digital)? I just want to try an at home IUI this cycle! And I'm scared because out of ALL the fertility problems PCOS effects OPK's. Which sucks! What would you think I should do?



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 12:44 PM   14
messica
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: US
Posts: 1,304
[QUOTE=Jenn95;38105141]Forget the clinic. They are really only worried about their success rates...QUOTE]

To be fair, their success rate equates to YOUR success rate. And isn't that what you want? To ultimately be successful?

Would you rather they accept you as a patient, take your money cycle after cycle, loss after loss, and not care if you ever carry a pregnancy to term? As someone with PCOS/elevated FSH, IR and DOR I can tell you, going with an unethical clinic is something you do NOT want to do. It's hard enough without those issues on top of dealing with the processes involved with AR. The health of your entire body matters because it's all connected.


That said, I'm sorry they were harsh instead of supportive. Either way, that's not right.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 12:47 PM   15
messica
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: US
Posts: 1,304
To answer your question, I successfully used OPK's for 15 cycles. They were accurate for me and gave me relief when they corresponded with each cycle monitored with blood work and follicle studies.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 16:45 PM   16
Cppeace
Trying to conceive (TTC)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,327
Go ahead with opks and I highly recommend also tracking your bbt if possible to see exactly when you ovulate. Bbt is generally the most common way to confirm ovulation. A combo of bbt, opk and natural cm or cp checking is the best for knowing when you ovulate.

I personally severely dislike most doctors. They will treat larger women as though we are automatically ill or diseased just because of our size. I weigh anywhere between 230 and 280 depending on my diet and exercise routine any time of year and doctors are shocked I have good BP, heart rate, no diabetes or pretty much any real medical issues or condition. I think it irritates them lol.

As for your ultrasound. Having several small follicles is a typical sign of PCOS, but PCOS does not mean you can't ovulate or aren't ovulating. BBT is really the only way you can see if you are at home.



 
Status: Online
 
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 22:04 PM   17
Jenn95
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 268
[QUOTE=messica;38105415]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn95 View Post
Forget the clinic. They are really only worried about their success rates...QUOTE]

To be fair, their success rate equates to YOUR success rate. And isn't that what you want? To ultimately be successful?

Would you rather they accept you as a patient, take your money cycle after cycle, loss after loss, and not care if you ever carry a pregnancy to term? As someone with PCOS/elevated FSH, IR and DOR I can tell you, going with an unethical clinic is something you do NOT want to do. It's hard enough without those issues on top of dealing with the processes involved with AR. The health of your entire body matters because it's all connected.


That said, I'm sorry they were harsh instead of supportive. Either way, that's not right.
I understand what you are saying! And I do want to be successful. My point way just they "rig" their success rates a bit. I mean they nitpick at who they want to help. You need to be their "ideal candidate" for them to help. So In a way they are just concerned about their success rate numbers. I have talked to others in my area (just today after my appointment) who have went to the same clinic (4 women to be exact). All of them bigger women (250lbs or higher). 3 of them went to other clinics and 2 of them have a child now! Another of them is currently pregnant. And one woman is yet to conceive. So... it's COMPLETELY possible to have a healthy pregnancy being bigger. And I feel really hurt that I'm denied just because I'm "fat". It really hurts. But I understand your point. It just sucks. It's not fair.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 22:06 PM   18
Jenn95
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cppeace View Post
Go ahead with opks and I highly recommend also tracking your bbt if possible to see exactly when you ovulate. Bbt is generally the most common way to confirm ovulation. A combo of bbt, opk and natural cm or cp checking is the best for knowing when you ovulate.

I personally severely dislike most doctors. They will treat larger women as though we are automatically ill or diseased just because of our size. I weigh anywhere between 230 and 280 depending on my diet and exercise routine any time of year and doctors are shocked I have good BP, heart rate, no diabetes or pretty much any real medical issues or condition. I think it irritates them lol.

As for your ultrasound. Having several small follicles is a typical sign of PCOS, but PCOS does not mean you can't ovulate or aren't ovulating. BBT is really the only way you can see if you are at home.

Thanks!! I actually picked up a BBT thermometer on my way home. Would it be too late to start tracking this cycle? CD 8 tomorrow. :/ I am doing an at home IUI this cycle. Soooo, I'm going to use OPK's for certain! But will I be able to tell if I O this cute le if I start BBT tomorrow morning?



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 23:03 PM   19
lisap2008
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn95 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisap2008 View Post
So sorry they were so rude about it, did they do a ultrasound or blood work or are they just diagnosing PCOS based on symptoms and weight?
With your cycles becoming regular I believe your fertility has improved with the weight loss ,studies have shown an improvement in fertility with as little as 20 pound loss, sticking with a high protein nutrient rich diet can help too.
They didn't do blood work today (she does want to do blood work on CD21 to see if I actually ovulate on my own of not). But she did do an ultrasound and said she saw many little follicles on my ovaries that she said "looked like typical PCOS ovaries". So that ultrasound along with my other "symptoms" (Weight, irregular periods, facial hair (ew I know), deep voice, etc) lead her to diagnose me with PCOS. BUT my question is... I know women with PCOS shouldn't use OPK's....because they tend to get "false positives".... but I RARELY ever get positives at all! Am I able to use OPK's (non-digital)? I just want to try an at home IUI this cycle! And I'm scared because out of ALL the fertility problems PCOS effects OPK's. Which sucks! What would you think I should do?
I have had PCOS my entire life and they also found mine via ultrasound plus I was going 6+ months without a cycle that was when I was much younger , as I got older my cycles have gotten more regular now I have 27-28 day cycles.
but I have not had any problems with false positive OPKs either so it depends on the person, I tested twice a day with the internet strip OPKs just to be sure it was my real surge ,plus I took my basal body temp every morning to confirm I had ovulated.



Status: Online
 
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 07:09 AM   20
krissie328
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 7,532
Hey hun. I'm sorry the specialist was not helpful.

For pcos one of the best ways to lose weight is mow carb. It's pretty much the only way I can lose without starving myself.

Also, cd 8 is fine to start temping. I highly recommend charting.

I do use opks with pcos. They work for me. Most cycles I ovulate I've got a positive. The ones I didn't I suspect I just missed it. I use regular non digi opks.



 
Status: Offline
 

SEO by vBSEO