Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 12th, 2017, 06:22 AM   11
Mrs. MB
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,822
I completely feel your pain and I was you a few months ago. My daughter hated absolutely everything. She cried so hard in the car - she would throw up. I kept going places with her and it just kept getting worse. She also hated the stroller and would cry in it unless it was a rare moment when she was asleep. She also hated every carrier/wrap/sling.

Here's what helped us: bought a big convertible seat that she can see out of and isn't in the "turtle" position. She adapted to the car within a few car rides. We took her to the store and sat her in every car seat until she sprawled in one and was kind of enjoying herself. They let us take the car seat for a test drive before we bought it too. We also have a Sophie the Giraffe that she has in the car as it's much larger than a pacifier. When she looses paci she gnaws on the giraffe.

We bought a new stroller (the old one was fitted to the car seat). It allows multiple sit up variations and goes fully bassinet flat. We would raise her a little in the stroller if she was awake and that helped a great deal because she wants to look around.

The only carrier she will deal with is forward. I'm not sure if you tried that yet. She's been in a forward carrier since she could barely hold her head up and peak from over the top of it.

Honestly, things got better when she could hold toys and shove them in the mouth and interact more.

Bottom line - I'm so sorry you're going through this. It's a terrible phase and I hope it passes soon.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Feb 12th, 2017, 08:05 AM   12
DeuceMom
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. MB View Post
I completely feel your pain and I was you a few months ago. My daughter hated absolutely everything. She cried so hard in the car - she would throw up. I kept going places with her and it just kept getting worse. She also hated the stroller and would cry in it unless it was a rare moment when she was asleep. She also hated every carrier/wrap/sling.

Here's what helped us: bought a big convertible seat that she can see out of and isn't in the "turtle" position. She adapted to the car within a few car rides. We took her to the store and sat her in every car seat until she sprawled in one and was kind of enjoying herself. They let us take the car seat for a test drive before we bought it too. We also have a Sophie the Giraffe that she has in the car as it's much larger than a pacifier. When she looses paci she gnaws on the giraffe.

We bought a new stroller (the old one was fitted to the car seat). It allows multiple sit up variations and goes fully bassinet flat. We would raise her a little in the stroller if she was awake and that helped a great deal because she wants to look around.

The only carrier she will deal with is forward. I'm not sure if you tried that yet. She's been in a forward carrier since she could barely hold her head up and peak from over the top of it.

Honestly, things got better when she could hold toys and shove them in the mouth and interact more.

Bottom line - I'm so sorry you're going through this. It's a terrible phase and I hope it passes soon.

OOoo, I didn't think to mention that mine are also in convertible car seats. I'm anti-carrier-carseats cause I think babies spend far too much time in them. My babies are only in their car seats while IN THE CAR. They are moved into a stroller (also with adjustable sitting/laying positions) after the car ride, or carried in a baby-carrier (the strap-on-body kind; daughter loves forward-facing), or held.

Also, just realized son was having such a conniption in his car seat cause the infant insert needed to come out! He was like baby-transformed. He was awake for the whole trip, didn't even want his pacifier, and played with his car toys (an arch mobil that grips to the cupholder lips with a selection of hanging toy/teethers) the whole trip! I've included a pic of the toys. Daughter really likes the butterfly and son likes the dog. Daughter also has a musical caterpillar (like an accordion that plays music when pulled straight), but couldn't find a pic. Of course, you can get most toys in girl-pink if you so desire.



Attached Images
File Type: jpg toys.jpg (26.7 KB, 1 views)
 
Status: Offline
 
Old Feb 12th, 2017, 09:20 AM   13
cskme_
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 445
Thanks guys, unfortunately right now I can't afford a new stroller or car seat, she may get better when she's able to go in the stroller on her own without the car seat, I haven't tried her facing forward in the carrier, she's just started holding her head steady so maybe I will give it a try in a week or so, she's still only 10lbs so she may not be able to see over it. She has Sophie too but Sophie is too awkwardly shaped for her mouth at the moment lol, she tries to chew her head and legs but can't seem to get them in her mouth as she would like to and she gets angry lol!
I've only taken her out a few times in the stroller just because I'm in western Canada, it's super cold here! This week is supposed to be milder (around +5 Celsius) so I'm going to try to take grumpy out once a day and see how it goes. Wish me luck!



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Feb 12th, 2017, 09:44 AM   14
DeuceMom
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by cskme_ View Post
Thanks guys, unfortunately right now I can't afford a new stroller or car seat, she may get better when she's able to go in the stroller on her own without the car seat, I haven't tried her facing forward in the carrier, she's just started holding her head steady so maybe I will give it a try in a week or so, she's still only 10lbs so she may not be able to see over it. She has Sophie too but Sophie is too awkwardly shaped for her mouth at the moment lol, she tries to chew her head and legs but can't seem to get them in her mouth as she would like to and she gets angry lol!
I've only taken her out a few times in the stroller just because I'm in western Canada, it's super cold here! This week is supposed to be milder (around +5 Celsius) so I'm going to try to take grumpy out once a day and see how it goes. Wish me luck!
Totally understandable about the expense! That was one of the factors that went into why I got the convertible straight off (I shouldn't need to ever buy another carseat again!) especially with two. I never really wanted a carrier infant seat, but with twins I was scared I might have to if they didn't make the weight cuts at birth.

As for the carrier, my daughter is only a bit over 11 lbs and she barely makes the cut. In fact, her arms can't go over the back, they are still tucked under the buckle (like they are in facing me, iykwim), but she doesn't like having her view restricted. LOL.

I'm not located all that far from you either (neighbors really). Yesterday was the first nice day we were able to go for a walk in a great while. Temps were the same as yours. I just wish it wasn't so windy as they don't like the wind blowing at them from where their feet stick out of the stroller (I use the shade to block most of the direct wind from their faces).

Good luck!



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Feb 12th, 2017, 21:08 PM   15
Mrs. MB
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,822
I completely understand the expense issue. She should get better once she has the ability to play with toys. I hate that nobody tells you so many babies hate infant car seats... then again, don't get me started on how many things nobody tells you... Baby V was maybe 11 pounds and she could barely poke her head above the carrier with the infant insert in it but I had to have some mode of transportation... I honestly had anxiety and panic every time I had to go somewhere for four months.

DeuceMom - where were you when I was buying all the useless crap!!!! Lol, you're definitely a mom after my own heart.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Feb 13th, 2017, 02:11 AM   16
tommyg
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Scotland
Posts: 8,405
Been through that and I also feel your pain. Things that helped taking the newborn insert out the seat, mirror so you can see them and they have something to look at, toys and dummy.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Feb 13th, 2017, 07:36 AM   17
Twag
Mum (Mom)
BnB Spammer Elite
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 20,173
My DD hated the car seat & car when she was that little also the buggy but the more I took her out in both the more used to it she got and the screaming stopped

Good luck



 
Status: Online
 
Old Feb 13th, 2017, 08:58 AM   18
DeuceMom
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. MB View Post
I hate that nobody tells you so many babies hate infant car seats... then again, don't get me started on how many things nobody tells you... Baby V was maybe 11 pounds and she could barely poke her head above the carrier with the infant insert in it but I had to have some mode of transportation... I honestly had anxiety and panic every time I had to go somewhere for four months.

DeuceMom - where were you when I was buying all the useless crap!!!! Lol, you're definitely a mom after my own heart.
I was ttc! LOL. Really, it was incidental I got stuff that works for us. I did daycare for a while and I observe what I see. While it is sometimes a pain to move kids from carseat to stroller (especially in winter conditions!) I've grown to really dislike seeing babies carted from car to store to car to house without ever leaving a carseat. I know it's convenient for keeping them warm and not waking them from sleep, but I also feel like they miss out on an opportunity to look around and interact with you.

Also, in my case, I've got 2 so carting the weight of babes and carseats is just ugh!



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Feb 14th, 2017, 16:24 PM   19
minties
Other
BnB Elite
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 15,398
Does LO's carseat have lots of padding and wot-not in it? An infant insert, or a head-hugging head rest? Have you checked to see if any of it is forcing her chin to rest on her chest?

Is the sun/glare in LO's eyes while in the car?

For facing out in a carrier, ideally baby should be 6 months and their chin should clear the panel.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Feb 17th, 2017, 07:16 AM   20
MindUtopia
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dorset, UK
Posts: 8,846
I'm sure someone has said it already, but she probably loves being out of the house, just not stuck in a car seat or stroller. Take her somewhere and take her out and hold her or put her in a wrap or carrier (if she doesn't seem comfortable, you might need some help adjusting it or getting her positioned, find a babywearing supporter or sling meet). At that age, no they tend not to just like to be laid down somewhere without you and I never could have done an exercise class with mine at that age. But we got out nearly every day, went to the library, went to the store, went out for coffee, met friends, when to a baby group, went for a walk, etc. I just didn't leave her in the car seat unless we were actually travelling in the car (and we would go out no matter what, I just planned car journeys for nap times which was easier). They really shouldn't be in it more than that anyway. But we got out all the time. You just can't do the things you used to yet so easily because you'll need to have a baby close to you for now. That's fine. Eventually it will get easier. Just figure out activities you can do together that are easier. Classes for her are easier - baby massage, baby yoga, story time or singing, or baby sensory, then she is engaged and you are playing together rather than just lying in a car seat. She will get used to the car if you just persist.



 
Status: Offline
 
Reply



Bookmarks

Tags
month

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



SEO by vBSEO