Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 04:32 AM   1
Lilly123
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,926

baby having screaming sessions like she is in pain...


what could this be - went to doc yesterday and he said she is fine... she has been screaming like in pain and crying hysterically for about 4 hours of the day everyday for last 3 days... i am sure she is in pain somewhere but we cant tell where.. her appetite has decreased... i just dont know.. gave her paracetomol and seems to help a bit but how do i know there is not something seriously wrong like a broken bone or something.. in the night she always hits her arm against the cot bars as we dont have bumpers as i understand you cant have bumpers cause of increased risk of SIDS... so i am worried she hurt her arm.. feel so helpless when she is inconsolable and those tears are streaming down her cheeks.. usually gets worse from late morning to early evening.. cant be colic only starting now can it? she is also waking more at night again..


advice would be welcome.


thanks



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 04:41 AM   2
Ju_bubbs
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 5,180
Its been a whle since I've had a baby, but I'm pretty sure colic does tend to cause probs at the same time each day? IIRC, my youngest was 3 months before colic hit him, he used to pull his legs up into his tummy when he was crying with it, due to the tummy pain, which was how we diagnosed colic!
Hope you figure out whats up with her



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 04:46 AM   3
AimeeM
Other
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,089
Look up 'acid reflux baby', just a thought xx



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 05:01 AM   4
pinklightbulb
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,218
^^
Yes, my LO had acid reflux and used to scream for hours. He wouldn't sleep because if I laid him down it burned his windpipe and his throat. It could be colic too, but reflux isn't just in the evening like I believe colic is mostly? He would wake up in the night when it was really bad, other nights if he hadn't been fed to sleep it wasn't as much of a problem as he had digested some of his food before bed.
For him throwing his arms out in the cot it was his very active startle reflex and in the end, I swaddled him and it worked a charm-- he never woke himself up after I began that and have only just started sleeping him unwrapped now the reflex isn't as bad at 4 months. If you haven't tried it just a thought Hope it sorts itself out soon for you.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 05:04 AM   5
MUMOF5
Waiting To Try (WTT)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 4,998
It could be colic, it does sometimes occur later in some babies, or it could be that her milk is not agreeing with her . Is she pulling her legs up? Are her poo's same as usual in regularity, colour, texture?.

If shes waking more at night too then i would guess it could be tummy/milk related. Id give infacol a try for a week, if it has no effect then try a different milk. Maddie has started waking at night again because she is ready to start being weaned. Im going to start introducing baby rice just before her last bottle, but obviously your little one is a bit younger than Maddie. xx



 
Status: Online
 
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 05:14 AM   6
Lilly123
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUMOF5 View Post
It could be colic, it does sometimes occur later in some babies, or it could be that her milk is not agreeing with her . Is she pulling her legs up? Are her poo's same as usual in regularity, colour, texture?.

If shes waking more at night too then i would guess it could be tummy/milk related. Id give infacol a try for a week, if it has no effect then try a different milk. Maddie has started waking at night again because she is ready to start being weaned. Im going to start introducing baby rice just before her last bottle, but obviously your little one is a bit younger than Maddie. xx
thanks hun. she is on breast milk as she wont take formula.. i have tried to give her formula as well but she hates the stuff lol

she does not pull her legs up but wants to change position all the time.. she does not vomit or spit up her food so i really dont think its reflux... i am so worried she has hurt her arm or a bone or something.. how would i know??



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 05:22 AM   7
MUMOF5
Waiting To Try (WTT)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 4,998
How is your diet if you are breastfeeding? Caffeine, spices, fruit etc can all affect the milk.

Have you tried to just lay her down (when shes calm) and touch/manipulate different parts of her body to see if she winces/screams in pain?? If you are seriously worried then take her to the hospital and ask that a paediatrician give her the once over.

It could just be that she is a grumpy girl , my cousin used to scream constantly when she was tired and had real problems getting herself to sleep, my aunt used to think there was something wrong with her until she worked out it was the getting to sleep issue. Have you tried different ways to try to calm her when shes like this? A pram ride, baby sling, car ride?? xx



 
Status: Online
 
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 05:58 AM   8
WW1
Other
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly123 View Post
she does not pull her legs up but wants to change position all the time.. she does not vomit or spit up her food so i really dont think its reflux... i am so worried she has hurt her arm or a bone or something.. how would i know??
Does she scream when you touch a specific part of her body (ie her arm?) If she does then she may have hurt that particular bit and it'll need checking out. If not, then it's unlikely.

My LO had silent reflux which meant she didn't often vomit or spit up but the acid was coming up into her throat and causing her pain. She would scream at every feed and fight the bottle.

If it's happening at the same time each day could it be tiredness? Has she just got to the stage of the day where she has had enough? Could putting her to bed possibly help? As others have said, it could be colic. Rebecca had colic and would scream for hours. We checked all the obvious things and they were fine so all we could do was cuddle her and let her know we were there. She's much better now so it does get easier.


It's so difficult isn't it - if only they came with an instruction manual




 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 06:36 AM   9
Lilly123
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUMOF5 View Post
How is your diet if you are breastfeeding? Caffeine, spices, fruit etc can all affect the milk.

Have you tried to just lay her down (when shes calm) and touch/manipulate different parts of her body to see if she winces/screams in pain?? If you are seriously worried then take her to the hospital and ask that a paediatrician give her the once over.

It could just be that she is a grumpy girl , my cousin used to scream constantly when she was tired and had real problems getting herself to sleep, my aunt used to think there was something wrong with her until she worked out it was the getting to sleep issue. Have you tried different ways to try to calm her when shes like this? A pram ride, baby sling, car ride?? xx
she does not seem to wince if i touch her to see where pain is... i did have a curry the other day so maybe that started it... i took her to paedetrician yesterday and he said he could not find anything wrong... she cried for an hour this am but has been ok so far.. maybe she has colic or is tired...

tx for the ideas ladies.. its so hard to see your baby scream and cry...

lets hope it gets better.. whatever it is...



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 06:44 AM   10
AimeeM
Other
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,089
Was going to say they don't have to vomit it can be 'silent reflux' where they scream in pain although nothing seems to be obviously wrong.



 
Status: Offline
 
Reply



Bookmarks

Tags
baby , pain , screaming , sessions

featured articles


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search






SEO by vBSEO