I started my maternity end of February and so my statutory maternity leave (26 weeks) is up the end of this month. By the end of this month if I want to leave I have to give one months notice, however after the end of August when I am on additional maternity leave, I have to give 3 months notice if I want to leave.
If you were me would you therefore hand your notice in next week?
Or wait until 3 months before the end of the additional maternity leave?
I know I am not going back (a combination of the shite part time they offer plus the distance), but as I am currently NTNPing there might be a small chance I could be pregnant by the end of the year and therefore able to get maternity pay again.
But I don't want to let them carry on thinking there might be a possibility I might go back (even though all my colleagues think I would be crazy to go back and pretty much have decided for me that I should not come back)
But then again, if there's a chance I could get additional maternity pay....................
I would tell them as soon as poss, like you say you don't want them to think you're going back when you have no intention to do so. I did this. My extended ML would have only started in July but I handed in my notice at the end of June. It's given them a chance to find someone else.
if you only got smp and not an enhanced mat package from your employer you have nothing financial to lose by not going back so why not tell them now? i never understand why people dont tell as soon as possible tbh, it is better for you as it is all 'done and dusted' iykwim and it is good for your employers who will have to make permenant replacement arrangements
Well I've worked it so I get all my holiday pay. My holiday year runs feb to feb (when Ijoined). My SMP stops in Nov, but I can take 3 months extra which takes me upto Feb. I have to give 8 weeks notice (4 more than usual) so will hand in my notice start of Dec and then will get paid my full year's holiday entitlement from Feb 10-Feb 11 as I have not yet received it (well I've had 3 shifts worth).
I think you should work it so you can at least get maternity allowance. I decided if I were to get pregnant again now, I'd have the baby next June, could take maternity from March, so by leaving in Feb, I'd be entitled to MA instead of SMP which would be better.
Any opinions, advice, statements or other information expressed or made available on BabyandBump.Momtastic.com by users or third parties, including but not limited to bloggers, are solely those of the respective user or other third party. They do not reflect the opinions of BabyandBump.Momtastic.com and they have not been reviewed by a physician, psychologist or parenting expert or any member of the BabyandBump.Momtastic.com staff for accuracy, balance or objectivity. Content and other information presented on BabyandBump.Momtastic.com are not a substitute for professional medical or mental health advice, counseling, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical or mental health advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on BabyandBump.Momtastic.com. BabyandBump.Momtastic.com does not endorse any opinion, advice, statement, product, service or treatment made available on the website. If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or emergency services immediately.