Baby Fever and Illness Advice (need more advice last post)
My LO is boiling hot, grumpy, clingy and tired but has no other symptoms although she does have a bit of a cold leftover from last week (cough and runny nose). I'm sure she's not teething.
I can't really get an accurate temperature. She won't stay still long enough to get an underarm reading so I tried rectally which came up at 38.4C but I don't know if it was right as I was nervous and only had it in about 1cm or less.
I heard fever is good to fight off illness but she's so miserable, I have Calpol and Nurofen in the house, should I hold off until after her morning nap and give it then if it hasn't come down (although I don't know if she'll let me put her down to sleep anyway) or should I just give her some now to make her more comfortable?
Not sure what to do now. The Calpol brought her temperature down to normal this morning but it has gone back it to 38.4 again. She's awfully grumpy, clingy and very tired but she is alert and has no stiff neck, rash or anything. She slept 3hours this morning (normally 1hour15mins) and fell asleep on me for half an hour in the afternoon, she's falling asleep on Daddy just now. We gave Calpol again 30mins ago and it seems to be coming down again.
Do I need to phone NHS since it's been around 24hours now (started yesterday before bedtime) or cos it's quite a low fever should I just keep an eye on her? x
If she's drinking nough fluids and is hydrated and as you say is alert, no rash etc, I would see how her fever is after calpol and keep monitoring, if she has no other symptoms other than cold sniffles, she should recover soon.
Calling nhs24 would also put your mind at rest, i would call to get some advice and reassurance.
I know it's hard to deal with lo being sick. I'm not sure about the fever temp bc we use farehheit here and I'm not sure if the conversion. My ped always tells me if the fever is below 100.5 to wait it out without meds. If it goes above 100.5 but below 102 to give Tylenol and if it goes above 102 to give ibuprofen. I personally choose to bring my kids in if the fever is 100.5 or above for over a day. Most of the time we never figure out what's causing the temp but I always want to rule out ear infections so I bring them in. Try to make sure she stays hydrated. If it makes you feel better to call the doc and check do that. I hate it when we never find out the cause of the fever but most of the time my sons seem to have fever with no other symptoms. Good luck and hope your sweet girl feels better soon.
Any opinions, advice, statements or other information expressed or made available on BabyandBump.Momtastic.com by users or third parties, including but not limited to bloggers, are solely those of the respective user or other third party. They do not reflect the opinions of BabyandBump.Momtastic.com and they have not been reviewed by a physician, psychologist or parenting expert or any member of the BabyandBump.Momtastic.com staff for accuracy, balance or objectivity. Content and other information presented on BabyandBump.Momtastic.com are not a substitute for professional medical or mental health advice, counseling, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical or mental health advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on BabyandBump.Momtastic.com. BabyandBump.Momtastic.com does not endorse any opinion, advice, statement, product, service or treatment made available on the website. If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or emergency services immediately.