Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 07:29 AM   11
3011busyyear
Waiting To Try (WTT)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North England
Posts: 2,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflakes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by My_First View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercyme View Post
Not sure if it's that beneficial to babies under 18mo.
Absolutly agree, I actually dont think there are baby nurseries for it anyway? I am looking at when LO is 2.5 - 3...

We have the montessori schools here in the US for nursery age.. In fact there is one not to far from my home. But you guys don't have them for nursery age in the UK? xxx


Attachment 343570
there are some, there is a specific montessori nursery in our town.



Status: Offline
 
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 07:29 AM   12
My_First
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Reading
Posts: 3,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflakes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by My_First View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercyme View Post
Not sure if it's that beneficial to babies under 18mo.
Absolutly agree, I actually dont think there are baby nurseries for it anyway? I am looking at when LO is 2.5 - 3...

We have the montessori schools here in the US for nursery age.. In fact there is one not to far from my home. But you guys don't have them for nursery age in the UK? xxx


Attachment 343570
Not that I could find, especially locally. The earliest I could find was 2.5 years...



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 09:03 AM   13
Cattia
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 7,371
The ones around here take children from 1. I have decided not to send mine there as I believe in encouraging imaginative play which the Montessori method does not agree with.I can understand the reasoning but having done my research, for that reason and a few others, I have decided it is not for us. My friends who send their children there are very positive about it though.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 09:12 AM   14
TriChick
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Evans, GA
Posts: 804
You should PM my sister (MommyMoore503). Both of her daughters are in Montessori child care right now, she loves it! She would be happy to answer any of your questions



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 10:45 AM   15
Ozzieshunni
Mum (Mom)
BnB Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 19,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattia View Post
The ones around here take children from 1. I have decided not to send mine there as I believe in encouraging imaginative play which the Montessori method does not agree with.I can understand the reasoning but having done my research, for that reason and a few others, I have decided it is not for us. My friends who send their children there are very positive about it though.
I agree with the above. We learned about the Montessori method in my early childhood development classes and I didn't like it at all. I would try it for a bit though and see how your child does. As you say, all kids are different.



Status: Offline
 
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 10:51 AM   16
3011busyyear
Waiting To Try (WTT)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North England
Posts: 2,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattia View Post
The ones around here take children from 1. I have decided not to send mine there as I believe in encouraging imaginative play which the Montessori method does not agree with.I can understand the reasoning but having done my research, for that reason and a few others, I have decided it is not for us. My friends who send their children there are very positive about it though.
That's interesting, I didn't know that. It dies explain quite a lot. She's always been discouraged from saying things like ' look it's a hippo' instead of 'that looks like a hippo' might seem small but I see her little face drop when she's corrected all the time.
Not sure if it's just her but her creative skills like drawing are very poor for her age and I wonder if this links to imagination skills being controlled as above.



Status: Offline
 
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 10:56 AM   17
Ozzieshunni
Mum (Mom)
BnB Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 19,288
Montessori is just too constructive for me. A good preschool should be a combination of a variety of educational theories, not just one.



Status: Offline
 
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 15:21 PM   18
rwhite
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 5,263
I am looking in to a montessori preschool for Lachlan, as he is quite a sensitive wee soul and he really enjoys time outdoors which I know there is a lot of at the montessori down the road. I can see him really enjoying it and I think that at montessori they really maximise learning - everything's a learning opportunity at that age so why not embrace it

edit: Interestingly enough, the Montessori down the road does encourage imaginative play so maybe they're a little different from the others. How horrid if they didn't That's one of the best things about being a kid.



 
Status: Offline
 
Reply



Bookmarks

Tags
method , montessori

featured articles


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search






SEO by vBSEO