Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 03:11 AM   1
kiwi
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 86

shooting/stabbing pain in nipples after feeding


hi, i was wondering if any of you have experiencecd this and have suggestions how to ease the pain.
I have been breastfeeding for 4 months (with the occasional bottle of EBM) and in the past couple of days I get very sharp shooting pains in one side after feeding and it is very painful. It feels like it starts in the nipple, but is also quite deep in the breast. It doesnt really hurt during feeding, but a couple of minutes afterwards the pain starts and lasts about 2 hours. I have noticed that the end of my nipple is also white (looks like no blood in it, rather than dried milk).
Other than the first couple of weeks I have not had much pain during feeidng before

this morning after feeding my areola is all swollen and tender also.

i tried warm flannels last night which didnt really help, and am at a loss what to do next?

thanks for any suggestions



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 03:23 AM   2
WaitingForYou
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South-East London
Posts: 489
Hey.

This could be a number of things. There is a possibility that your baby is not latching correctly (as the baby grow he needs to develop news ways to feed as he gets bigger - so it is possible for him to lose grip on his latch). You are saying your nipple is white after feeding and your getting deep pain? This could be 'pinched nipple' this is where the baby is not correctly attaching and the blood supply to your nipple is being cut off making the nipple white. This will cause pain after the baby comes off the breast in the sense of a sudden shotting pain towards the nipple as the blood starts to flow back around the nipple. Does your nipple look pointed or creased when you finish feeding?

I would definitely see if you can attach him better, try attaching him like his is a newborn baby and doesn't know what he is doing. You need apply something warm after feeds too, this will help the blood flow quicker.

I hope this helps. It will get better



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 06:32 AM   3
lynnikins
Mum (Mom)
BnB Elite
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: East Midlands
Posts: 15,851
i would get in touch with your HV and get the number of a BF counsellor or Lactation consultant as they will be able to help if its a latch problem,


what part of surrey are you in?



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 07:01 AM   4
jess_smurf
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bury, Lancashire
Posts: 3,829
when my milks comes back in and when i get my let down i get pricking feeling in my breast tissue and then towards nipple doesnt last forever, it is just my ley down tho x



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 07:15 AM   5
kiwi
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnikins View Post
i would get in touch with your HV and get the number of a BF counsellor or Lactation consultant as they will be able to help if its a latch problem,


what part of surrey are you in?
Thanks - I am in Richmond. I plan on going to the local baby cafe, but it is not until next monday morning (I had another appointment this week so couldnt go, and yesterday morning was not so bad, but by last night it was very painful and again this morning).



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 07:22 AM   6
kiwi
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess_smurf View Post
when my milks comes back in and when i get my let down i get pricking feeling in my breast tissue and then towards nipple doesnt last forever, it is just my ley down tho x
thanks for your suggestion - I occasionally get this prickly feeling during let down also. However the pain I have now is after feeding - starts a couple of minutes after we stop feeding and lasts for a couple of hours after.
I think it may be to do with latch as suggested above which I hope can be fixed, although at our last feed I tried to make LO take a bigger mouthful which he was not too keen on and kept pulling back after a few seconds....I guess I will keep trying as would like to make it 6 months if poss.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 07:27 AM   7
kiwi
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingForYou View Post
Hey.

This could be a number of things. There is a possibility that your baby is not latching correctly (as the baby grow he needs to develop news ways to feed as he gets bigger - so it is possible for him to lose grip on his latch). You are saying your nipple is white after feeding and your getting deep pain? This could be 'pinched nipple' this is where the baby is not correctly attaching and the blood supply to your nipple is being cut off making the nipple white. This will cause pain after the baby comes off the breast in the sense of a sudden shotting pain towards the nipple as the blood starts to flow back around the nipple. Does your nipple look pointed or creased when you finish feeding?

I would definitely see if you can attach him better, try attaching him like his is a newborn baby and doesn't know what he is doing. You need apply something warm after feeds too, this will help the blood flow quicker.

I hope this helps. It will get better
thanks for the suggestion and encouragement. I tried to get LO to take a bigger mouthful at last feed as I think this could be part of the problem but I think it may take a while as he kept pulling back a little. I dont think my nipple was pointed or creased after feeding - it all looked quite "normal".
Will preservere for a few days and hope it gets better.....



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Dec 15th, 2011, 17:01 PM   8
ShabbyMom
Mum (Mom)
New BnB member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
I know you posted this a couple years ago but I am experiencing it and dont know what it is, what did you end up doing?



Status: Offline
 
Reply



Bookmarks

Tags
feeding , nipples , pain , shooting , shooting stabbing , stabbing

featured articles


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search






SEO by vBSEO