Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 10th, 2015, 17:20 PM   1
bumpwishes
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 128

Stories and reassurance about vbacs


Hi ladies,

I'm currently a mummy to my 8 month old son who was born by emcs. I had the perfect pregnancy but my son decided to start his arrival late afternoon. I laboured all night and got very tired. I agreed to pethadine which was the worst decision. I stopped being upright and lay down which I think slowed my progress.

Dilation slowed around 7cm and the nurse put my syntocin drip in incorrectly so my arm tissued! My son turned the wrong way and at 9cm I was told I had to have a section.

Unfortunately my epidural wasn't enough to stop me feeling them cut me open and I was put to sleep. I missed the birth of my little boy and I feel so down about it still. I was robbed of a natural water birth delivery and then robbed of seeing his face straight away.

We are thinking about baby number two in the near future. I was told the day after my emcs that I can have
a vbac next time but I'm terrified. I'd love a vbac and several more babies but I'm scared I'll have to have another csection and that I'll be limited to 2 kids only.

I know any children are a blessing but if you have any stories that will give me some reassurance I'd be greatful. Thank you



Status: Offline
 
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 05:24 AM   2
charliekay
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 1,452
I've no success stories but I will be following this post also to hear of some ladies that have. I'm also like you I had an emergency c section due to failure to progress. I was induced at 37 weeks due to iugr, I had prostins to get me to 1cm dilated then had my waters broke and put on a syntocinon hormone drip to bring on contractions. After 18 hours of contractions I was only 4cm dilated so the doctor advised a c section, I was devastated. I had to wait an hour to go to theatre as there was another lady in there so the took me off the drip and told me my contractions would stop but they didn't they just got stronger. I had gone into natural labour after all the interventions. Once in theatre they checked me again and I had gone from 4cm to 6cm so proof I was contracting and dilating on my own but they still went ahead with the c section. I've found it really hard to get my head around the birth and keep asking myself 'what if I had refused the c section, would I have got a normal delivery?' My first born was also an induced labour with no complications and a normal delivery. Me and my oh so want more children but I'm terrified that the c section will cause problems conceiving and if I do get pregnant that I will end up with a csection again. I would really want a vbac so success stories may just give me the hope I feel I need right now xx



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 13:34 PM   3
bumpwishes
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliekay View Post
I've no success stories but I will be following this post also to hear of some ladies that have. I'm also like you I had an emergency c section due to failure to progress. I was induced at 37 weeks due to iugr, I had prostins to get me to 1cm dilated then had my waters broke and put on a syntocinon hormone drip to bring on contractions. After 18 hours of contractions I was only 4cm dilated so the doctor advised a c section, I was devastated. I had to wait an hour to go to theatre as there was another lady in there so the took me off the drip and told me my contractions would stop but they didn't they just got stronger. I had gone into natural labour after all the interventions. Once in theatre they checked me again and I had gone from 4cm to 6cm so proof I was contracting and dilating on my own but they still went ahead with the c section. I've found it really hard to get my head around the birth and keep asking myself 'what if I had refused the c section, would I have got a normal delivery?' My first born was also an induced labour with no complications and a normal delivery. Me and my oh so want more children but I'm terrified that the c section will cause problems conceiving and if I do get pregnant that I will end up with a csection again. I would really want a vbac so success stories may just give me the hope I feel I need right now xx

Hi Charliekay,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, though it is nice to find something who feels how I do.

It's so sad to hear that they did a section even though you were progressing naturally! I often think about the what its and I drive myself mad.I hope that you find the answers you want and have successful pregnancies and births in the future xx



Status: Offline
 
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 05:51 AM   4
Gem_Clem
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 780
Im in this situation at the moment, midwife said I need to take time to think about it and make a decision. My DD was an emergency, I was in labour for 30 hours then right at the end, the midwife thought it was the head she could feel it was actually her bum! She was doubled in half, and I got rushed down to surgery really quickly, I was terrified, I didn't have time to think, I didn't know if she was ok, I can remember being sat double over on the table to have the spinal block put in and I was having contractions at the same time, while having to remain completely still, it was the most horrendous pain!! He'd just got the block in and the surgeon was saying he had to start, hardly had any time to let me get numb first. Thankfully I had a healthy baby girl but I was totally traumatised by it all. It didn't really hit me until I went home I think, I felt like a total failure that I couldn't give birth.

The whole experience of labour and birth was awful, the midwives were snippy, like they didn't have time, very under staffed, there were no labour rooms availble when I was in active labour so had to labour in ward, couldn't even have gas & air, most they could offer was paracetamol! I was examined once at 5am when I first went in then left alone all day, they wouldn't listen when i said I was in active labour, wouldn't check me again.

So im not pregnant with no.2 and totally stuck on what to do, I would love to experience giving birth naturally but have a real fear of something going wrong again, the recovery is much worse from section, but think im swaying towards a more calm, planned section this time.

I find the whole thing so scary this time because its so unpredictable and no one can guarantee what's going to happen



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 06:42 AM   5
bumpwishes
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem_Clem View Post
Im in this situation at the moment, midwife said I need to take time to think about it and make a decision. My DD was an emergency, I was in labour for 30 hours then right at the end, the midwife thought it was the head she could feel it was actually her bum! She was doubled in half, and I got rushed down to surgery really quickly, I was terrified, I didn't have time to think, I didn't know if she was ok, I can remember being sat double over on the table to have the spinal block put in and I was having contractions at the same time, while having to remain completely still, it was the most horrendous pain!! He'd just got the block in and the surgeon was saying he had to start, hardly had any time to let me get numb first. Thankfully I had a healthy baby girl but I was totally traumatised by it all. It didn't really hit me until I went home I think, I felt like a total failure that I couldn't give birth.

The whole experience of labour and birth was awful, the midwives were snippy, like they didn't have time, very under staffed, there were no labour rooms availble when I was in active labour so had to labour in ward, couldn't even have gas & air, most they could offer was paracetamol! I was examined once at 5am when I first went in then left alone all day, they wouldn't listen when i said I was in active labour, wouldn't check me again.

So im not pregnant with no.2 and totally stuck on what to do, I would love to experience giving birth naturally but have a real fear of something going wrong again, the recovery is much worse from section, but think im swaying towards a more calm, planned section this time.

I find the whole thing so scary this time because its so unpredictable and no one can guarantee what's going to happen
Hi Gem,

I'm sorry to hear about your traumatic experience.

I see you still have a lot of time to decide whether to have an elective or vbac. Hopefully your midwives will be supportive and helpful in guiding you to a decision you are happy with.

You will have to let us know how things go and I wish you all the best and hope that you get the birth you wish for- or as close to it as possible.



Status: Offline
 
Old Jan 1st, 2016, 23:36 PM   6
Tasha S.
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 845
Hi ladies!!

I'm here to offer hope! DD was born via a planned c-section because she was breech. I got pregnant when she was 10 months, and was hoping for a vbac from the start! At my 20 week ultrasound, the technician said I had placenta previa. I was so sad! Thankfully, my placenta moved up. I went in to labour at 38.5 weeks and delivered a healthy baby boy! I was so happy to have a successful vbac!

It was a really hard labour (48 hours from start to finish!!), but I never regretted it. I was only at 2.5 cm after 40 hours, which was SO hard, but then I took the epidural and my labour progressed.

I hope you ladies get the birth experience that you're hoping for, and most of all a healthy baby! Xxx



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 07:15 AM   7
bumpwishes
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasha S. View Post
Hi ladies!!

I'm here to offer hope! DD was born via a planned c-section because she was breech. I got pregnant when she was 10 months, and was hoping for a vbac from the start! At my 20 week ultrasound, the technician said I had placenta previa. I was so sad! Thankfully, my placenta moved up. I went in to labour at 38.5 weeks and delivered a healthy baby boy! I was so happy to have a successful vbac!

It was a really hard labour (48 hours from start to finish!!), but I never regretted it. I was only at 2.5 cm after 40 hours, which was SO hard, but then I took the epidural and my labour progressed.

I hope you ladies get the birth experience that you're hoping for, and most of all a healthy baby! Xxx
Thank you for sharing your story. I'm so pleased for you! It's great to hear you got your vbac. Tough labour though, you did so well. They clearly didn't mind you labouring so long? Did you talk to your go before TTC number 2? I'm not sure if I should check and get their views. I'm still breast feeding and haven't got AF back yet. We want to try soon.



Status: Offline
 
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 08:57 AM   8
Tasha S.
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 845
Bumpwishes: My Doctor had advised me to space the births at least 18 months apart. That was my hospital's policy in terms of offering a vbac. Aside from that, my doctor was really into natural birthing, and she never let anyone else deliver her patients' babies. She herself had had a vbac for her second child, and she knew how much I wanted it. That's why she didn't intervene before she did, even though I was begging lol! For sure you change your mind when you're at that level of pain. During the labour, I was beginning to think that she was just mean! But after when it was successful I was so grateful! I don't think any other doctor would have let me labour so long. The nurses couldn't believe that I was having a vbac!

Ohhh, our lo's are just days apart! I just got my first AF 5 days ago! I weaned my son about a month ago, waited 28ish days, grew impatient for AF, and took black cohosh for 2 days and BAM! AF showed! I hope yours comes soon!



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 10:51 AM   9
bumpwishes
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasha S. View Post
Bumpwishes: My Doctor had advised me to space the births at least 18 months apart. That was my hospital's policy in terms of offering a vbac. Aside from that, my doctor was really into natural birthing, and she never let anyone else deliver her patients' babies. She herself had had a vbac for her second child, and she knew how much I wanted it. That's why she didn't intervene before she did, even though I was begging lol! For sure you change your mind when you're at that level of pain. During the labour, I was beginning to think that she was just mean! But after when it was successful I was so grateful! I don't think any other doctor would have let me labour so long. The nurses couldn't believe that I was having a vbac!

Ohhh, our lo's are just days apart! I just got my first AF 5 days ago! I weaned my son about a month ago, waited 28ish days, grew impatient for AF, and took black cohosh for 2 days and BAM! AF showed! I hope yours comes soon!
I think, though it's a huge blur, that the hospital told me 2 years, though I don't know if this is between giving birth again or conceiving. I think I'll go see my go soon.
Its so good about your doctor though, so many wouldn't do what's in your interest, they'd just do the option they thinks more medically safe. I know I gave in to my epi even though I didn't want one- I couldn't predict the pain aha.

Ooooh lovely. I don't want to wean yet and I don't think my lo would allow it aha. I've heard some people conceive whilst bf. I've never wished for AF before. Thanks . What's black cohosh??



Status: Offline
 
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 12:56 PM   10
Tasha S.
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 845
Good idea to check with your hospital! Yeah, I was so happy to have the doctor that I did. She stopped her practice, so I'm going to need to find another doctor next time around!

Haha! This was the first time I wished for AF too!! You can still O while breastfeeding! Black cohosh is an herb. I took it in capsule form. I only ended up taking 4 capsules of 100 mg over 4 days and AF showed! I researched it before!

I hope that you conceive when you want to! Xxx



 
Status: Offline
 
Reply



Bookmarks

Tags
reassurance , stories , vbacs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



SEO by vBSEO