Forum Rules

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 14:33 PM   1
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kendal, Cumbria
Posts: 249

Would you choose a C-section again?

I had an emergency C-section with my little girl due to failure to progress after 23hours of established Labour (hell on earth) Now with my next baby My doctor says I have a choice wether to try for a natural birth or I can opt for a C-section again. Would you choose a C-section again if given the option? xxxx

Status: Offline
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 14:43 PM   2
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 514
I personally would go for the vbac, after having an emergency c section followed by two successful v bacs, but you really need to way up the pros and cons for yourself maybe discussing it with your midwife may help

Status: Offline
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 14:50 PM   3
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,945
I dont know i dont like the idea of another c sec as recovery for me was awful and next time i will have 2 chldren to look after most probably newborn and toddler so vbac would be better in that respect but then im terrified of uterine rupture so that puts me off vbac.

I think i will probably talk to the consultant in my next pregnancy and go with whatever they think is best then it is out of my hands so to speak and i dont have to keep going between the two and driving myself crazy!

Status: Offline
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 15:08 PM   4
Pregnant (Expecting)
Chat Happy BnB Member
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Derbyshire, UK
Posts: 1,319
I'm so torn. I was a bit traumatised by the emcs but got through it. I'm scared something will go wrong with a VBAC. I have an irrational fear that baby will get stuck! I also have ulcerative colitis so not sure if a vaginal birth would make this worse? Eek it's such a difficult thing to decide. I'd have to discuss it with a midwife/doctor I think.

Status: Offline
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 00:50 AM   5
Starry Night
BnB Addict
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,672
I'm such a scaredy squirrel that a VBAC terrifies me and I recovered decently from my C-section but I don't know. I will wait until I"m actually pregnant again and see what my doctor says.

Status: Offline
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 00:54 AM   6
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 761
After much discussion and research I want an elective csection after my previous emergency section because my experience last time was awful and in my opinion they let me labour too long before deciding on the surgery. Trouble is that my dr wants me to have a vbac so I have a fight on my hands to get my elective!

Status: Offline
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 04:02 AM   7
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Midlands
Posts: 105
I had an emergency c section with my first after a failed induction at 42 weeks, and this time was given the choice. It took me literally 30 weeks to make my mind up, but have gone for the elective section option as I am more scared of having to undergo another emergency section after possibly hours of labour.
This way I feel like I have *some* small element of control over the birth experience. Yes, recovery is a bit rubbish, but I don't know any different having never gone through natural labour and delivery and I can plan things and I know what I'm letting myself in for!
I am being sectioned at 39 weeks, however I have the option to change my mind at ANY time, and if I was to go into labour before then, I have the option of seeing how it goes. Personally the idea of being continually monitored during labour puts me off. I know you can refuse it, but they do it for a reason and I would rather my little one arrived safe and sound. It doesn't really matter how they get here in the end.
Also, knowing that it would be a section anyway if I went overdue, made my mind up for me. Induction isn't allowed after previous c sects at my hospital, so instead of waiting until possibly 42 weeks again, I know what date she's going to be here and can plan accordingly!
Go with your gut feeling, I did, and as soon as I made my mind up I felt SO much better! I was driving myself mad looking up the pros and cons of vbac vs elective, and reading horror stories on google didn't help! Know that you can always change your mind at any time. Sorry that was a bit of an essay, but I hope it helped! :-)

Status: Offline
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 08:19 AM   8
Pregnant (Expecting)
BnB Addict
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,703
In all honesty, I'd only have a section again if I "had to"... If I knew my baby was under 8lbs and everything was going smoothly I'd much rather a VBAC!

Reason being that the section recovery is so bloody painful!

If I suspected a large baby I'd have a section again in a flash as I won't put my baby at risk of a shoulder dystocia delivery which happened with my second baby who for some reason was quite large.

Status: Offline
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 09:15 AM   9
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 729
Not sure my section was an elective for breech so a totally different experience and a great one. Id say for ease id have another section as Ive recovered V well but part of me wants to experience a natural birth so id be tempted to go for that, but Id have no issues having another section x

Status: Offline
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 11:58 AM   10
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Posts: 892
Well after 48hrs of back to back labour then an emergency c section where he got stuck and had to be pulled out with forceps by the registrar i'm not sure. I think I'll book an elective then ask for a late scan to see how big the baby was and what position it was in. There's no way I could do that labour again.

Status: Offline


choose , csection

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search