Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 5th, 2017, 02:26 AM   1
WackyMumof2
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Napier, New Zealand
Posts: 93

Should I Worry??


Bit of history I think might help.

My mother had GD in '91 with my youngest sibling and was treated with Insulin. I found out when she was pregnant with me in '84 that she had high sugar levels during her pregnancy with me but in '84 it wasn't something that they were able to test for at the time - if I remember correctly. Sister was the GD baby and was 5lb 6oz at birth. Me, 8lb 7oz (the heaviest of 4) but GD wasn't screened for then so can't be ruled out. The sister my mother didn't have GD with had a GD pregnancy in '14 and was medically induced due to 'concerns for Maddie'. Due to a family history, this is always something that is recorded in my pregnancy notes and I routinely have yearly bloods run for my own peace of mind.

My eldest was born 40+1 weeks, 8lb 15oz and delivered via an emergency section due to a long, stressful labour as my water broke at the beginning of labour. Sugar levels at a safe range right through however.

Second son again, safe levels in pregnancy. 38+1, 8lb 10oz and a successful, un-medicated VBAC after a shockingly fast 4 hour labour and narrowly making into L&D before he was born. Again, safe sugar levels right though.

DS3. At 31 weeks things took a turn. That pregnancy I was 'diagnosed' with GD. And I say that loosely because the sugar levels I had in pregnancy are normal for me outside. So I was treated as a pre-caution. Slightly higher than midwife expected but ordered the bigger test just to see what was going on. As it happened, I was sitting at 3.5 at the lowest and 7.8 at the highest. Here I think the safe range is between 3.2 and 7.7 so I was JUST out. No cause for concern as there was nothing my midwife was too concerned over due to sugar level histories but we opted for Insulin just to play it safe as sugar levels weren't stablizing as quickly she would have liked for a 'normal' pregnancy. And she was never worried about the size of my baby either.

Anyhow, ultrasounds and Specialist appointments became a fortnightly thing. Every visit they tried again to talk me into a medical induction or a section and every visit I told them to 'go to Hell'. At 33 weeks baby was weighing about 5.5lb and was told I should seriously consider one of the 2 options presented as I was looking at a 9.5lb baby, sugar level issues at birth, complications or even worse, still birth. My feelings were never taken into consideration and neither was my birth history. I vented my feelings to my midwife and she was LIVID to say the least. She was happy to let me progress (my partner was very supportive to what I wanted) because there were no immediate concerns. If I hadn't delivered by 40 weeks we would talk about options then. But she was of the same opinion as me - I was barely going to go past the 40 week mark if I even got there. Anyhow, 38+1 day I went into labour - just as I told the Specialist I would. I even stated on my Birth Plan I only wanted my midwife and partner in the delivery suite unless there was a need for concern, which my midwife honored. I had a few twinges in the early morning hours of Oct 2nd and headed over to hospital just to be safe. Back home 2 hours later to be told nothing was going to happen that day only to be going back 3 hours later in active labour. 12 hours, un-medicated and another successful VBAC all of which my midwife expected. 8lb 11oz. I think the only issue we really had was a fear his sugar levels might drop (the midwife did his bloods at birth & 24 hours) so he had a little formula to prevent that and was back in hospital 3 days later because he was looking like one of Willy Wonka's Oompa Loompa's due to the overcast we'd been having not his sugar levels.

My question is, will I have to be listed under a specialist this time for the whole pregnancy? I really don't want to be treated as another 'statistic' and forced to deliver on a scheduled that works for them. I don't buy this 'we are only putting the safety of you and your baby first' bulls**t. I trust my judgement, I trust in my body's ability to give birth and most of all, I trust my midwife. I've been tracking my sugar levels to play it safe and I have, should my midwife and I decide I need it again, my Epi-pen and insulin are in the fridge ready to go. They never took my history into consideration at all, never took mine or my partner's birth weights into consideration and tried to use scare tactics to deliver me on a plan that worked for them. I was (and still am) rather angry about the level of 'care' they gave me and don't want to go through that again.

Sorry for the rant but I thought it might be easier than trying to answer questions though out the post.



Status: Offline
 
Old Jun 5th, 2017, 02:35 AM   2
6lilpigs
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,982
I'm not familiar with the care system in NZ, but you would be well within your rights in the UK to refuse any extras they are offering and stick to your guns for just normal monitoring. We have the NHS which is a free health care sytem, it may be a case that in some places such as the US some hospitals may refuse you if you haven't followed theyre plan but again I am not sure on this. I think as you say yourself, you will have a safe vbac of a healthy 8lb+ baby, no probs



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jun 5th, 2017, 08:44 AM   3
WackyMumof2
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Napier, New Zealand
Posts: 93
Thank you. Our Health Care System is very similar to that in the UK so I'm hoping.

I personally agree with my midwife that I didn't have GD but given the levels, was treated as a precaution. He wasn't huge in comparison to his brothers (him and DS2 probably would have been close to 10lb had I gone full term). I can say quite safely though I never felt so bullied by those who call them Health Care Professionals. I've always been of the understanding that the final call is ours and that they should support that rather than do scare tactics.



Status: Offline
 

SEO by vBSEO