When my iron levels were low I told them I would do everything I could to bring them up but would still be having a home birth and refused to be tested again (they wanted to test me again at 38 weeks to see if they had gone up) low iron doesn't mean you're at any increased risk of excess bleeding just that if you did it would be a harder recovery, for me the risk of a hospital birth outweighed the risk of my possibly low iron levels. I had my perfect home birth in my Christmassy house 2 years ago
Midwife refused to retest my iron levels.
She also wrote in my notes without my consent that I will be having active management of 3rd stage (which I have now crossed out).
She also said she wants to do a sweep on boxing day (6 days over due by scan, only 1 day overdue my ovulation) and she wants to induce me on 30th. Unless baby is at risk I am refusing both.
I think its shocking that they wont retest your iron if thats all that is holding you back from having a HB. Have you decided if you will go ahead with a HB anyway or are you planning on hospital? If your MW wont retest I wonder if your GP would if you just go and ask to be checked because you are worried that it was a bit low?
It seems a bit to me like she is one of those MWs who doesnt really support HB and will always find a reason why you 'can't' have a HB. As far as sweeps and being induced stick it out and do what you feel comfortable with. She clearly doesnt really care much about more than paperwork. Are they basing your dates on your dating scan? I knew for sure my dates with DS and when I got my dating scan it put me a week ahead. I was stressed out by it because my first was 10 days late and I had a bit of a fight with them about induction (she came naturally, on the day I would have accepted a sweep). I got a private scan and it agreed with my dates so just goes to show they are not always as acurate as they say.
geez she sounds very disrespectful! she cares more about pushing her will than listening to your wishes. but it is YOUR birth not hers and if i were you i'd look into getting another midwife, even if it is just a few weeks to the birth, or hiring a doula that will then deal with her, if she can't be taken out of the equation.
google up a private lab and get those iron level checked, it is not one of those expensive lab tests.
don't let this person rip you off the birth you want. because what she did now wouldn't deprive you only of your home birth, it would also destroy a natural/water birth in the hospital.
I think she is dead against me having a home birth because I am due 20th and she lives just round the corner from me so if she's on call Xmas day and I go into labour then it would be her that would have to come.
I'm not very good at sticking up for myself and neither is my OH, my mum on the other hand had a home birth with my brother in 1994 and is on the same page as me so I have spoken to her, told her mh wishes and asked for her to come with me to my next appointment and she agreed so she will kick arse and hopefully the midwife will listen
Any opinions, advice, statements or other information expressed or made available on BabyandBump.Momtastic.com by users or third parties, including but not limited to bloggers, are solely those of the respective user or other third party. They do not reflect the opinions of BabyandBump.Momtastic.com and they have not been reviewed by a physician, psychologist or parenting expert or any member of the BabyandBump.Momtastic.com staff for accuracy, balance or objectivity. Content and other information presented on BabyandBump.Momtastic.com are not a substitute for professional medical or mental health advice, counseling, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical or mental health advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on BabyandBump.Momtastic.com. BabyandBump.Momtastic.com does not endorse any opinion, advice, statement, product, service or treatment made available on the website. If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or emergency services immediately.