Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 01:38 AM   1
xarlenex
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bonny Scotland :)
Posts: 4,173

Setting your limitations (previous strep b infection)


I had a planned homebirth with our little girl and when she was 4 days old I found that I'd had group b strep, thankfully she was born in her waters which would have helped protect her from the infection too. I'd like a home birth this time around but if I have a positive strep b test at 36/37 weeks I will go to hospital instead and have the antibiotics, I'm happy to do so.

My query comes from my last appointment where my consultant asked me about my limits with a homebirth and a negative result , at which point would I be happy to transfer to hospital. I agreed if my waters had gone for 18 hours or more I'd go to hospital. She asked me about a raised temperature of 38c , I feel like a slight temp raise alone wouldn't be enough for me to transfer, anyone have any information on this? I can't help but feel like a slight temp raise in active labour in a birthing pool would be perfectly normal, I cant imagine someone in the later stages of labour who would maintain a perfect 37.5c temp! So I'm just looking for some information relating to a slight temp raise to see if my thinking is correct or if I'm being naive?

Thanks in advance!



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 08:22 AM   2
ReadynWaiting
Trying to conceive (TTC)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,504
Our MW in Canada will administer the antibiotics at home after you give birth, is this not an option for you?



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 08:31 AM   3
xarlenex
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bonny Scotland :)
Posts: 4,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadynWaiting View Post
Our MW in Canada will administer the antibiotics at home after you give birth, is this not an option for you?
Sadly it's not, my NHS trust won't agree to it. I've completely accepted a hospital birth if my gb test is positive. It's just my limitations to set in the event that I have a negative test and have my homebirth, because obviously things like waters being broken for a long period of time increases the risk again. But I don't think I agree with a transfer on the basis of a slightly raised temp alone.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 09:00 AM   4
ReadynWaiting
Trying to conceive (TTC)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,504
I think you need to do what is best for you. I declined the GBS test because it is protocol for them to administer antibiotics right after birth which means IV port during labour and delivery which I don’t want. I’m planning a water birth and no intervention if I can manage it. In my reading the % of babies that actually contract it during birth are minimal.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 12:42 PM   5
xarlenex
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bonny Scotland :)
Posts: 4,173
IV antibiotics are given during labour yeah, we aren't routinely screened here. I just happened to end up in hospital with a urine infection at, 8 days overdue with my little girl and they found it in my urine then, meaning I also had a high colonization of the infection.

I know and fully understand that it's highly unlikely the baby would actually contract anything, I know I can refuse the test and birth how I want, I know it's all in my favour, but I'm not risking it. I've been that one in so many thousand that their baby become extremely ill and almost died after I contracted parvo virus and passed it on to him in utero despite every odd being in my favour so I'm happy to take the antibiotics. I also know personally a mother who lost their baby when gbs hadn't been detected.

My dilemma comes from the understanding I have a negative test and do birth at home, on what grounds would I decide to transfer, if any. As I said previously I've agreed with my waters gone 18 hours or more I would transfer to hospital, but she asked about a raised temp alone, with no other risk factors. I don't think this would be enough to concern me though.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 13:59 PM   6
loves_cookies
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 615
I've had infections with both my labours (Dr's aren't sure whether infection caused labour or labour triggered infection) but both times the only symptom from me was a raised temperature, I didn't feel unwell with either. My eldest was also in distress, but my son was too premature to get distressed. I'm also group b strep positive.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 14:53 PM   7
xarlenex
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bonny Scotland :)
Posts: 4,173
Thank you for sharing your experience. I think the middle ground would be to say if my temp was high I'd come out the pool and see if my body temp comes down itself, if not then perhaps transfer then.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 11th, 2018, 11:10 AM   8
kittylady
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 2,181
I'll be testing for GBS this time as I was positive with #2 and negative (tested); they would class me as positive if I refuse the test. I wont be having the antibiotics anyway, I birth too fast for them to be effective, I'm allergic to penicillin and GBS is becoming resistant to the antibiotic they use as an alternative, and I want a home waterbirth. I did agree to transfer for observations for 24 hours with my second. I did a ton of research and wrote a paper, the senior consultant agreed with my reasoning, and all was fine. As someone said, the risk is small and antibiotics increase the risk of antibiotic resistant infection.

Unfortunately all of that was on my old computer and the guidelines have changed since then (though not in regards to my previous reasoning), I've printed off a stack of papers including guidance and research and I will be writing a letter to explain my reasoning.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 12th, 2018, 06:06 AM   9
xarlenex
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bonny Scotland :)
Posts: 4,173
Would love to have the excuse I birth too fast my first was back to back, contractions never regulated 48 hours and 20 mins later. With my daughter I halved my time at 24 hours. Fingers cross I half it again and it's only 12 hours



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 13th, 2018, 11:30 AM   10
kittylady
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 2,181
All of mine have been back to back. They thought it would take me a while but it didn't. They had to catch the baby twice. Only with the middle child did the midwife believe me when I said baby is coming.



 
Status: Offline
 

SEO by vBSEO