Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 13:16 PM   41
MandaAnda
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: West London
Posts: 2,276
Just thought I'd share what I've bought for my home birth so far (I don't actually need much). I've put in the box (or need to get):

A t-shirt type nightie for me (free back when I bought my DreamGenii pillow)
Bed socks for me
Knickers for me (well, I'll either put in some old ones or just buy cheap Primark ones)
Maternity pads for me
Vest for baby
Babygrow for baby
Hat for baby
Blanket for baby
Nappy, wipes and small sample tube of Bepanthan for baby (we used Bepanthan at my old hospital, and I really liked it [I've also bought a full-sized tube])
Dust sheets (heard these were really good, so I opted for them instead of shower curtains)
My TENS machine with a battery in it and an extra one in the pack
(Need to add old/cheap towels and old/cheap sheets - going to have a look around this weekend)
(I need some aromatherapy oils for the bath and oil burner - do Holland & Barrett have these?)
(I'd like a tennis ball or similar, as I heard it'll make it easier for DH to massage my back for long periods without getting a sore hand. @ a sports shop?)
(I want to get one of those microwavable heat pack thingies - where?)
(And I need to add snacks and make sure the cupboard has snacks/drinks)

Any other suggestions?



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 14:12 PM   42
Mervs Mum
Pregnant (Expecting)
BnB Spammer Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: somewhere over the rainbow.....
Posts: 21,585
Thank you DeeJ for the post and the PM. I think in order to compromise, I need to some how give OH some kind of way of feeling like if he wants to call time then he can. The only thing my MW has really said to me about home birth is that I am an ideal candidate and just because you plan a HB doesnt then mean they wont let you in the birth centre or hospital if you change your mind at any point. I think I need to make more of this with him ie to say if at any point he's getting worried then he can also say that he would like us to transfer. I have already copied all the links Marley gave me to a draft email which I'll send to him to look at.....not sure if to just bite the bullet and thrash it out or to wait a while and let the dust settle as it were......



 
Supporting birthing women in Yorkshire, Humberside, Manchester, Merseyside & the surrounding areas.
Status: Offline
 
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 14:30 PM   43
Joyzerelly
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Glorious England
Posts: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervs Mum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyzerelly View Post
I'm planning a home water birth. Hypnobirthing sounds like something I'd like to go for too, does it cost a fortune? Having the lights off and nice music on sounds like a good idea RosieandAlan. I must admit, I haven't put much thought into the actual birth yet. But my OH being abroad at the moment makes it a bit tricky to discuss with him...

I suppose it depends on what you think is a fortune! We have paid 180 for 12 hours of sessions. I think that's good and my HIP grant covered it with a tenner to spare
Sounds like a bargain, I paid 40 an hour when I had hypnotherapy (not hypnobirthing) more than 10 years ago. So for 12 hours that would be 480.
Which area of the country are you in? Not Norfolk per chance?



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 14:30 PM   44
HayleyJA
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hants, UK
Posts: 4,168
Hi All.... and thanks MM for giving me the heads up on this thread. Think I'll have to go back and read more thoroughly from the beginning though as there already seems to be loads of useful information here!

I'm planning a homebirth because I hate hospitals! I have always been the sort of person that, whenever I'm near a doctor, or visit a hospital, my blood pressure rises slightly, I become a bit shaky, feel sick etc....

I've been unlucky in a sense, that I've encountered some negative attitudes from both MW and Consultant. My MW doesn't like HB's for 1st time Mum's because "you don't know how you're going to react". True, but the same can be said for 2nd and subsequent labours too. I don't feel it's a valid arguement.
The consultant gave me a lecture about how I "may be a low risk pregnancy at the moment, but it can very quickly turn to high risk". She even wrote this in my notes.

My frustrations are, a) that I've not entered into this thought process lightly, and if there was ANY risk, of course I'd be straight into the hospital and b) we haven't had any real support or words of confidence. In fact their words have knocked our confidence a little.

I admit that this week, when we had our HB assessment, the MW was slightly more 'accepting' (I won't go so far as to say she was completely positive!) of our wishes and I came away feeling very excited that it might actually happen the way we hope!

We've invited my sister to come up for the birth; she is a second year trainee MW and quite pro HB through her limited experience to date. We hope she will be my 'voice' and keep me positive if MW tries to persuade us to transfer unnecessarily. We think OH would be likely to be easily swayed if it was just left to him!

Anyway, Baby is currently head down and 3/5 engaged. I'm feeling great and can't wait for her to arrive. Our Birth Pool in a Box arrived yesterday, and we'll do a dry run in our thoroughly cleaned dining room tomorrow. It's all becoming very real now...!

I look forward to chatting with some of you ladies a bit more once I've had a chance to catch up on the conversations so far. x



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 14:41 PM   45
Mervs Mum
Pregnant (Expecting)
BnB Spammer Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: somewhere over the rainbow.....
Posts: 21,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyzerelly View Post

Sounds like a bargain, I paid 40 an hour when I had hypnotherapy (not hypnobirthing) more than 10 years ago. So for 12 hours that would be 480.
Which area of the country are you in? Not Norfolk per chance?
I'm not unfortunately but this is the list of practitioners.

http://www.hypnobirthing.co.uk/hypno..._classes.shtml

The lady doing ours is a hypnotherapist and a colleague was trying hypnobirthing and that's how she got involved



 
Supporting birthing women in Yorkshire, Humberside, Manchester, Merseyside & the surrounding areas.
Status: Offline
 
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 14:42 PM   46
gina8177
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervs Mum View Post
Thank you DeeJ for the post and the PM. I think in order to compromise, I need to some how give OH some kind of way of feeling like if he wants to call time then he can. The only thing my MW has really said to me about home birth is that I am an ideal candidate and just because you plan a HB doesnt then mean they wont let you in the birth centre or hospital if you change your mind at any point. I think I need to make more of this with him ie to say if at any point he's getting worried then he can also say that he would like us to transfer. I have already copied all the links Marley gave me to a draft email which I'll send to him to look at.....not sure if to just bite the bullet and thrash it out or to wait a while and let the dust settle as it were......
It took my DH a while to come around to the idea. I think he would still prefer a hospital birth but he is starting to realize that it is important to me to have a home birth. Plus you will have your MW there, they will know if you get to a point where you need to transfer.

I found Ina May's Guide to Childbirth informative and empowering and it helped me make my decsision. Maybe if your DH can see some of the stats from their Farm birthing center he will realize that homebirths are a safe alternative to hospital births.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 14:44 PM   47
Mervs Mum
Pregnant (Expecting)
BnB Spammer Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: somewhere over the rainbow.....
Posts: 21,585
HaleyJA - well after the initial resistance it does look like you're going to be getting your homebirth! Do remember, when you ring for a MW if they start fobbing you off saying they dont have the staff to send one that they HAVE to send one. They may try talking you in to going to the hospital so unless you particularly want to, if you refuse they are obliged to send someone to you



 
Supporting birthing women in Yorkshire, Humberside, Manchester, Merseyside & the surrounding areas.
Status: Offline
 
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 14:47 PM   48
Mervs Mum
Pregnant (Expecting)
BnB Spammer Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: somewhere over the rainbow.....
Posts: 21,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by gina8177 View Post
It took my DH a while to come around to the idea. I think he would still prefer a hospital birth but he is starting to realize that it is important to me to have a home birth. Plus you will have your MW there, they will know if you get to a point where you need to transfer.

I found Ina May's Guide to Childbirth informative and empowering and it helped me make my decsision. Maybe if your DH can see some of the stats from their Farm birthing center he will realize that homebirths are a safe alternative to hospital births.
I think he will in time. The statistics just dont do a thing to help. You can quote them all day long. He says that the 1 from the '1 in a million' still could be me.....



 
Supporting birthing women in Yorkshire, Humberside, Manchester, Merseyside & the surrounding areas.
Status: Offline
 
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 14:50 PM   49
HayleyJA
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hants, UK
Posts: 4,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervs Mum View Post
HaleyJA - well after the initial resistance it does look like you're going to be getting your homebirth! Do remember, when you ring for a MW if they start fobbing you off saying they dont have the staff to send one that they HAVE to send one. They may try talking you in to going to the hospital so unless you particularly want to, if you refuse they are obliged to send someone to you
Yep... OH and I have already discussed our 'assertive response' to them if they try this as I didn't want to be 'bamboozled' into it at the time! I'm also hoping this is where my sister will come in handy in knowing what they can and can't do...

The other thing I have to contend with of course, is the snow. In no uncertain terms I've been told that "if it's weather like this, we won't be doing HB's".... hhhmmm. Think I'll have something to say about that too. The roads are clear now so I can't see how they can use that as a legitimate argument.

But, I'm not going to dwell on that for now - they may suprise me and be great when it comes down to it, so for now I'm just going to keep myself in a nice positive mindset and let everything else fall into place!



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 14:53 PM   50
Mervs Mum
Pregnant (Expecting)
BnB Spammer Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: somewhere over the rainbow.....
Posts: 21,585
I think that's exactly the way to think - keep positive and my little motto: ask, believe, receive



 
Supporting birthing women in Yorkshire, Humberside, Manchester, Merseyside & the surrounding areas.
Status: Offline
 

SEO by vBSEO