Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 02:47 AM   1
crazydiamond
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 275

Waters breaking but no contractions


My waters broke last night just when I was going to bed and have continued to drip ever since. They have a pinkish tinge but I have read this is nothing to be concerned about - just the mucus plug.

I have however had no sign of any contractions although it may be hard to tell as my bump is always continuously hard - I think due to lots of raspberry leaf tea.

After a reasonable night's sleep I am now trying to be active and bouncing on my ball to get labour started but nothing yet.

I am wondering if I should let my midwife know. My concern is that in this area they have quite a strict policy where they try to get you into hospital within 24 hours of waters breaking if nothing has happened and then induce you. I have read elsewhere that as long as I don't do anything to introduce infection (e.g. sex, inspections etc) it should be fine to wait longer but I don't want to do anything that might put my baby at risk. What do you think I should do?



Status: Offline
 
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 04:28 AM   2
lozzy21
Mum (Mom)
BnB Spammer Elite
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Teesside,
Posts: 25,273
I personaly would ring your MW and make her aware. No one can force you to go into hospital but thse guidlines are there for a reason. If your contractions dont start and you leave it too long to go into hospital they may want to give your LO antibiotics which they give intravenously through a canular, making your stay longer.

Some people say to not sit on your ball and just carry on as normal as your more likly to go into labour when your relaxed and not thinking about it. Thinking about it will get you excited which realises adrenalin (sp?) which stops or slows down labour.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 04:34 AM   3
flubdub
Pregnant (Expecting)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lancashire, UK
Posts: 7,648
I would definately ring your mw, and agree 100% with the above ^
Good luck!



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 05:30 AM   4
crazydiamond
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 275
I rang the midwife and she immediately came out. She did an internal examination and a sweep and thought that just the hind waters had gone and that I was 2cm dilated.

Despite this she still considered that it was necessary to book me in for an induction tomorrow in case things had not started by then.

Is it possible however that things have already started to get me dilated to 2cm but that I am just not feeling them? Also can I refuse the induction? - presumably I could just ask the hospital to monitor me and give me a scan to check the forewaters are still intact and to monitor my temperature etc.



Status: Offline
 
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 05:47 AM   5
lozzy21
Mum (Mom)
BnB Spammer Elite
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Teesside,
Posts: 25,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiamond View Post
I rang the midwife and she immediately came out. She did an internal examination and a sweep and thought that just the hind waters had gone and that I was 2cm dilated.

Despite this she still considered that it was necessary to book me in for an induction tomorrow in case things had not started by then.

Is it possible however that things have already started to get me dilated to 2cm but that I am just not feeling them? Also can I refuse the induction? - presumably I could just ask the hospital to monitor me and give me a scan to check the forewaters are still intact and to monitor my temperature etc.
Yep it is possible thats somethings happining but you cant feel it, i just had back ache up to 8cm. You can refuse induction but your temp is only an indication of if you get an infection, your LO can still get one and you be fine.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 13:16 PM   6
Janidog
Waiting To Try (WTT)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: West Midlands
Posts: 2,481
My waters broke on a Wednesday night and at the time i was 4cm, my midwife knew i wanted a home birth and said that i can be at home for up to 48hrs, but unfortunately i got to the Friday morning and contractions were not regular and i was in lots of pain (baby was back to back) I was still only 4cm with a deadline of 23.00, i knew this baby wasn't going to be out by then, so i opted to go in to hospital, they sped up my contractions when it turned out that i had meconium on my panty liner, after being in the hospital for 5hrs my heart rate drop quite quickly and my temperature shoot up, and eventually LO was well and truly stuck and eventually i had to have an emergency c-section under GA - during all this time LO was quite happy and chilled, it was me that wasn't coping

We both had to stay in hospital for 5 lllllloooooonnnnnngggggg days on antibiotics



Status: Offline
 
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 00:04 AM   7
Rmar
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,483
I like this blog as it is very evidence based plus with anecdotal evidence

http://midwifethinking.com/2010/09/1...ence-and-risk/

Here is the summary:

Quote:
Summary

There is no increased risk of infection for the baby following pre-labour rupture of membranes. There is a slight increased risk of uterine infection for the mother. Uterine infection can be diagnosed and treated if it occurs. Giving antibiotics in labour ‘just in case’ is not supported by current evidence and may cause problems for baby and mother. Women need adequate information on which to base their decisions regarding the management, or not, of this situation. Women who choose to wait for labour should be supported and encouraged to do so. Babies should not be removed from their mothers on a ‘just in case’ basis.
Do remember that the time for waiting for waters to break has been reduced from 72 hours with no strong evidence of better outcomes. I would refuse the induction for today/tomorrow depending on what time it is where you are and leave it a day. That doesn't mean you can't be monitored to check that you and the baby are going fine in the process but labour will more than likely begin on it's own.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 07:22 AM   8
Jenniflower
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Yankee in Scotland
Posts: 1,709
That's an interesting read Rmar, thanks for that.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 13:27 PM   9
Freya
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 2,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmar View Post
I like this blog as it is very evidence based plus with anecdotal evidence

http://midwifethinking.com/2010/09/1...ence-and-risk/

Here is the summary:

Quote:
Summary

There is no increased risk of infection for the baby following pre-labour rupture of membranes. There is a slight increased risk of uterine infection for the mother. Uterine infection can be diagnosed and treated if it occurs. Giving antibiotics in labour ‘just in case’ is not supported by current evidence and may cause problems for baby and mother. Women need adequate information on which to base their decisions regarding the management, or not, of this situation. Women who choose to wait for labour should be supported and encouraged to do so. Babies should not be removed from their mothers on a ‘just in case’ basis.
Do remember that the time for waiting for waters to break has been reduced from 72 hours with no strong evidence of better outcomes. I would refuse the induction for today/tomorrow depending on what time it is where you are and leave it a day. That doesn't mean you can't be monitored to check that you and the baby are going fine in the process but labour will more than likely begin on it's own.
Brilliant post! Also read the NICE guidelines for yourself and go armed to the midwife to say that actually you nned to have your baby in your arms after 72 hours of waters breaking. This happened to me, waters broke but contractions didn't follow until 24 hours later. COuld not have my birth centre birth and when I arrived at hospital I was told I needed to be induced. Stuff that! I quted the NICE guidelines and they backed off and let me labour. I permitted external monitoring of bubs to ensure no distress, and she was fine. I also permitted IV antibiotics as I had a slight temp. I laboured normally and naturally and baby was born healthy and well.

You'll be fine too, I have no doubt xxx



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 13:28 PM   10
billy2mm
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Aberdeenshire
Posts: 3,860
my waters broke about 20 hours before my eldest was born and he was a crash section under GA and he spent 4 days in NICU on a drip and getting anribiotics as did i. i would be better safe than sorry coz things with me went down hill very rapidly - less than 5 mins from them realising there was a problem to baby being born with an APGAR for 4!!!

having said that my sil waters broke nearly 48 hours before my neice was born and they were both fine!

and to add i was given antibiotics as a precaution from 12 hours after my waters broke and then every 4 hours there after.



 
Status: Offline
 
Reply



Bookmarks

Tags
breaking, contractions, waters

featured articles


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search






SEO by vBSEO