Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 18th, 2013, 13:43 PM   1
_Lexi_
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 3,901

Induction after c section?


Hey. My last pregnancy I had to have a c section at 34 weeks after Joshua stopped growing, severe iugr, severely low fluid, a failing placenta and he was transverse breech. There went my idea of a natural water birth this time, I had my heart set on a water birth vbac. Consultant agreed I could labour in water, but due to needing monitoring during pushing, I'd have to give birth 'on dry land'. Now a few problems have come up. My labour and delivery ward have decided to close from June - mid September for a refurbishment. I only found out on the news! Women will be giving birth on the ward behind a curtain, or, if available, a tiny private room off the ward. Only one birthing partner allowed instead of two, and no option of birth pools. Some women can transfer and deliver at other hospitals (both an hour away in opposite directions) but that isn't a choice for me. With the problems Joshua had, I need to be where my consultant is, Joshua's neonatal specialist, and the high level nicu, which the other two hospitals don't have. My hospital has a policy where if you have list a baby, they sometimes offer induction at 37 weeks as long as everything is looking ok. This baby has been growing perfectly and is looking to be a healthy weight and size. I meet with my consultant in Thursday for a final growth scan and I'm going to ask about early induction for a few days later. What I wanted to know us, has anyone been induced after a c section? Did it go smoothly or end up with a repeat c section? My last section was only 15 months ago, so not that long, is that likely to cause problems? How long did induction take? How long were you in hospital for? Did you need pain relief?

I had quite a horrendous recovery with my c section, and will do anything to avoid another. I had my heart set on an almost perfect birth, with both my partner and my mum with me. Me and my mum are very close, she was with us when Joshua was born, and when he grew his wings, I couldn't imagine not having her with me. I hate the fact that whatever I do, I won't be getting the birth I want again. I was so looking forward to the waiting of labour to start at home, labouring in a pool, before giving birth with my partner and my mum present, then a speedy 6 hour discharge home, I'm devastated that whichever option I go for, I'll be missing out. I know the important thing is she gets here safely, but just feel a bit disappointed essay over, if you made it to the end, well done!! x



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 19th, 2013, 06:31 AM   2
Wriggley
Mum (Mom)
BnB Elite
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 10,999
i know how you feel regarding not getting the birth you want - i have been told i wont be able to have the birth i was hoping for with my first and this one due to being under the high risk clinic for multiple reasons

hmm its a tricky one my initial feeling would be if its not a medical reason then i wouldnt induce but i totally get why your concidering it and id be on the fence to i think...

tricky one... id go with your instinct...



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 19th, 2013, 06:43 AM   3
tristansmum
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: southampton, england
Posts: 2,828
I'm vbac. One day overdue. Really hoping I will go into labour myself as I want to avoid induction. I'd say don't get induced unless you actually need to as you are more likely to end up with another section. Fingers crossed for us both x



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 20th, 2013, 19:09 PM   4
Blondie007
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kent
Posts: 900
I had to have an EMCS after a failed induction. I certainly wouldn't want an induction again after going through full labour and pushing and still needing a c section!
However, after seeing my midwife, she has told me that my hospital doesn't actually allow an induction after a c section. I think it would be worth you while checking if your hospital allows it.
I missed out on a water birth first time round due to pregnancy complications, and now that I've had a c section, I am going to miss out on it again I know how you feel, I really hope that you find some positives from how your labour gets planned xx



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 21st, 2013, 01:54 AM   5
_Lexi_
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 3,901
It's already been discussed with my consultant that they prefer induction after c section, instead of just operating again. The increased chance of rupture is so minimal, its not a huge risk. At least at my hospital. More after stories of induction after c section than just c section after induction. I'm not just hoping for something, it was my consultant that raised it with me. My hospital also have a policy where if you have lost a baby through stillbirth or neonatal death, they will induce from 37 weeks providing baby is measuring well and looking healthy.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 22nd, 2013, 18:41 PM   6
Blondie007
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kent
Posts: 900
I also read that the chances of rupture is minimal, which was why I was surprised that my hospital won't allow it. What your consultant says, makes perfect sense.
Good luck with it all, hope it goes well for you tomorrow xx



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 23rd, 2013, 04:47 AM   7
chuck
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kent
Posts: 7,700
Take a look at the VBAC section at the top of this section hun.

Some hospitals will perform a soft induction after a CS but only if the situation requires it...i.e. complications or going over your EDD by what ever they deem too far.

Remember that any induction will increase the risk of complications in labour.

There are very few real reasons to induce, so avoid where possible.

Think about hiring a doula to protect you and your birth space - -perhaps plan a homebirth rather than a hospital birth as it reduces the risk of needing a CS.

YES you are allowed to HBAC!

Why do you need to be with the consultant apart from having previous CS? You said that this pregnancy was going smoothly and there were no problems with baby? If that is the case you are not high risk and you do not NEED to be in the hospital with the consultant.

If you WANT to be there then you can decline the constant monitoring it is your right to do so and have intermittent sonicaid monitoring, this will leave you free to move and feel what is happening to you - the best indicator of complications like rupture is YOU!



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 24th, 2013, 07:04 AM   8
_Lexi_
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 3,901
My son died shortly after birth last year to an unknown genetic disorder. We have a 50% chance that this baby may have the same condition, so we have to be at the hospital so we have the nicu if needed. With labour and delivery closing, the rooms they're using for delivery are much smaller, and you're only allowed one birthing partner, so even if I could afford one, I wouldn't be able to have a doula with me. Because of our problems with losing Joshua, my hospital are happy to induce from next week at 37 weeks IF that's what I want after making an informed decision. I asked my consultant about the monitoring, he said they don't have wireless monitoring. Again, if I choose intermittent monitoring, its my choice but I have to accept the risks. However much I'd love a natural home birth, with the potential fatal complications, I can't risk not being where the nicu is. I know we only got 13 hours with Joshua, but its 13 hours more than we could of had x



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 24th, 2013, 11:04 AM   9
Jaycrew
Pregnant (Expecting)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Lexi_ View Post
My son died shortly after birth last year to an unknown genetic disorder. We have a 50% chance that this baby may have the same condition, so we have to be at the hospital so we have the nicu if needed. With labour and delivery closing, the rooms they're using for delivery are much smaller, and you're only allowed one birthing partner, so even if I could afford one, I wouldn't be able to have a doula with me. Because of our problems with losing Joshua, my hospital are happy to induce from next week at 37 weeks IF that's what I want after making an informed decision. I asked my consultant about the monitoring, he said they don't have wireless monitoring. Again, if I choose intermittent monitoring, its my choice but I have to accept the risks. However much I'd love a natural home birth, with the potential fatal complications, I can't risk not being where the nicu is. I know we only got 13 hours with Joshua, but its 13 hours more than we could of had x
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your baby - I hope everything turns out happy and healthy XOXO



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 25th, 2013, 16:31 PM   10
Banshee
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: England
Posts: 1,935
I had an induction after a c section as I was over due with ds2. I had two pessaries and then they broke my waters. I wasn't progressing so they put me on a syntocinon drip but then ds2's heart rate started dropping due to the syntocinon so I ended up with a second emergency c section. Sorry, not a successful induction after c section story unfortunately.

Are you at the n&n coz that's where I had both my boys.



 
Status: Offline
 
Reply



Bookmarks

Tags
induction , section

featured articles


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search






SEO by vBSEO