Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 4th, 2016, 12:39 PM   1
smileyfaces
Mum (Mom)
BnB Elite
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: North West, UK
Posts: 18,349

refusing induction?


Any positive stories of ladies who have refused an induction and gone past 42 weeks?

I'm only 28 weeks but am sure I will go overdue and be offered induction again for a third time. Both my previous inductions weren't necessarily bad or anything I just would like to think that this time I will be able to give my body a chance to do its own thing.

Still got ages to go until then but would like to hear any stories of ladies who refused an induction when they were approaching 42 weeks.

Thanks in advance



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Aug 4th, 2016, 13:52 PM   2
gemmagibs
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 24
i dont think its wise to refuse they dont like you to go past 42 week for me i would be to worried about the increased risk of still birth! XXxx



Status: Offline
 
Old Aug 4th, 2016, 15:17 PM   3
jtr2803
Pregnant (Expecting)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: South East UK
Posts: 1,848
I am afraid I can't help in that I have done it, but I will be refusing if I get there myself. I am a member of the home birth UK group and there are quite a few ladies who have gone past 42 weeks, a couple have even gone past 43 weeks and been absolutely fine.

I think people are too trusting, your midwife might say oh the still birth risk goes up after 42 weeks but did you know that the actual relative risk increase is around 0.3%?! There is no significant increase until week 43, and even then it's still well under 1% (all stats available on evidence based birth) as per the Weiss study from 2014. Just to show, I've copied the paragraph:

The stillbirth rates in this study were:
37.0-37.6 days = 2.77 per 1,000
38.0-38.6 days = 1.09 per 1,000
39.0-39.6 days = 0.90 per 1,000
40.0-40.6 days = 0.72 per 1,000
41.0-41.6 days = 0.44 per 1,000
42.0-42.6 days = 0.70 per 1,000>42.6 days = 8.85 per 1,000

There is no evidence that the Placenta ages excessively, as per the article by Harold Fox for the British Medical Journal.

Induction on the other hand inherently increases the risk of C-Section as also evidence in the Evidence Based Birth article.

Unfortunately, there aren't many of us who 'question' the status quo, as you can probably tell, I am one of them! I come across stories and situations time and time again of ladies being cajoled in to unnecessary procedures because no one has actually given them enough information to make an informed choice.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Aug 10th, 2016, 09:06 AM   4
awnmyown
Waiting To Try (WTT)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 763
I also plan on refusing induction until I go over 42weeks. Ftm here as well, so I can't say I've done it, and I know already it'll come with pushback, but I'll fight it if I need to. The country's recommendations say daily monitoring after 41 weeks, so I think if that's showing clean, I wouldn't stress it. Plus, due dates are based on lmp, and I know for myself, I ovulated 5 days late the month we conceived. Which means the Aug 24 they gave me is actually 40w2d. Due dates are so not guaranteed accurate that I don't think we can trust an arbitrary number over our own bodies.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Aug 10th, 2016, 14:58 PM   5
tulip2002
Waiting To Try (WTT)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: cheshire, england
Posts: 126
I was going to refuse any type of induction with my last baby as i was wanting a vbac my agreed plan with the hospital was allowed to be left alone till 42weeks. But agreed to sweeps at 40 and 41 weeks. If i was to go past 42 weeks i would go to the hospital for daily monitoring which i was happy with or course you do have to agree there comes a time when something would need to be done but luckily i went into labour at 41+2 so none of that happened and i continued to refuse any interventions and ler my labour progress on its own. I think personally i would have gone to 43 weeks then probably decided they induce me. Im pregnant again nearly 15 weeks and will be planning the same



Status: Offline
 
Old Aug 10th, 2016, 15:15 PM   6
LoveCakes
Trying to conceive (TTC)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 3,566
My friend refused until she went into spontaneous labour at 18 days over but they moved her dates by 2 weeks at her scan and she knew it was impossible so was confident that she was actually only a few days over. She went for monitoring every 2 days at the end



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Aug 10th, 2016, 15:44 PM   7
smileyfaces
Mum (Mom)
BnB Elite
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: North West, UK
Posts: 18,349
Thank you all for the responses. I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only one looking at refusing. I'd like to think I'm getting a bit ahead of myself since I'm only 29 weeks but I just know I'm gonna be going overdue. I will probably give myself till just short of 43 weeks before I agree to it.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Aug 11th, 2016, 06:53 AM   8
Amygdala
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,556
I refused with both my previous births. Baby one was 8 days "late" so although I had some fighting to do over not wanting to book an induction (which they ask you to do at 40 weeks here and book it for 40+12), I didn't actually make it to the point where they get worried. Baby two was 12 days "late". As I refused an induction date, they insisted I see a consultant at 40+11, who called me "ridiculous" for not not agreeing to induction and didn't offer any additional monitoring. I'm glad I stood my ground. I went into labour that night and ended up just barely escaping a section because baby had their very short cord around their neck, stalling labour. I was on the operating table when I went through transition and baby was born within 25 minutes of me being told I wasn't in active labour. There's no doubt in my mind that an even quicker, stronger labour as you get with induction would have ended in a section, or worse.

Saying all that, this time around with baby three, I'm considering agreeing to induction. We're now 35 minutes from the hospital with no traffic and given my lightening labour last time, I see the advantage of knowing when it's going to happen. Anecdotally, inducing a third labour also seems a lot less likely to lead to other interventions than inducing a first labour, although I haven't look at any actual research on this. I've not really started thinking about this properly yet, just initial thoughts really.



Status: Offline
 
Old Aug 13th, 2016, 11:36 AM   9
Jessicahide
Pregnant (Expecting)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,230
You have lots of people offering you their own experience and how it worked out for them and that is fantastic, but can i just add last year when i was in neo with my son, i got talking to a nurse who had been left after failed induction to go until 43 weeks and she nearly lost her baby, she expressed to me that they leave far too many women to go past 40 weeks and it increased risks so much and she was witness to it... I am induced at 37 weeks, always and wouldn't dream of refusing... Sorry to go aginst the flow, but they induce for good reason, its not a hobby for them.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Aug 14th, 2016, 04:27 AM   10
smileyfaces
Mum (Mom)
BnB Elite
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: North West, UK
Posts: 18,349
Going past 40 weeks isn't a risk? 40 weeks is just a guide. In a lot of European countries your due date is actually considered as being 41 weeks. Close to 50% of babies are born after their due date, its really not unusual at all.

I assume you are induced at 37 weeks for medical reasons? That is a different situation entirely. I wouldn't refuse an induction if it was medically necessary either. I will be refusing induction this time round though if it is purely for being "overdue".



 
Status: Offline
 
Reply



Bookmarks

Tags
induction , refusing

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



SEO by vBSEO