Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 26th, 2017, 11:15 AM   11
PhoenixCT
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 94
I had an emergency c-section (pre-eclampsia induction and baby's HR plummeted during pushing). I recovered super quick. Up and walking around that day, by the next day I felt 50%, and when I was discharged I felt at about 80%. Felt about 100% better 5 days out. Everyone's different obviously. I've had friends who were still in pain from their vaginal birth weeks after delivery. My incision healed fast, went off the pain meds other than motrin after day 3, and had no complications.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 26th, 2017, 14:57 PM   12
ClairAye
Mum (Mom)
BnB Elite
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 10,012
Hi, I don't know if this is really helpful or not but my first labour was similar to yours and I was offered an elective section which I turned down, mainly because I was due Christmas Eve and would have had to travel over 250 miles away two weeks or so before I was due and live in hospital with my ex and our then 18 month old until I either went into labour or had a section but at my booking appointment we went over my first labour and the midwife had a consultant in on my 13 week appointment to discuss all of my options, if this isn't offered I would definitely ask for it, it was very helpful hearing the ins and outs of my options.

Oh, I will also add that my second labour was an absolute breeze but of course you know what you feel is best. Good luck!



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 27th, 2017, 06:05 AM   13
Fire_fly
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by xZoeyx View Post
Fire fly - all of us with babies due in January have a secret Facebook group - would you like to join?

Elective c - section is the route I'm taking and I WILL NOT take no for an answer and my mis wife will get that at the first appointment. I had a 50+ hour labour, it was awful, I tore, lost a lot of blood that's I shouldn't have, and was smacked in the face with severe postnatal depression as a result of the whole thing and I absolutely will not go through that again. So I'm not going to give anyone an option. It's your right as a UK citizen to request an elective c section and although they will try and push you not too, they can't force you!
Hi Zoey, I would love to, thank you. Do you have a link for it?
That sounds awful, I don't blame you on bit! Hopefully she won't try and give you grief over it x



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 27th, 2017, 06:08 AM   14
Fire_fly
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixCT View Post
I had an emergency c-section (pre-eclampsia induction and baby's HR plummeted during pushing). I recovered super quick. Up and walking around that day, by the next day I felt 50%, and when I was discharged I felt at about 80%. Felt about 100% better 5 days out. Everyone's different obviously. I've had friends who were still in pain from their vaginal birth weeks after delivery. My incision healed fast, went off the pain meds other than motrin after day 3, and had no complications.
Hi, thanks for sharing with me. It's reassuring to hear as I think most people tend to just put their negatve experience's up a lot of the time



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 27th, 2017, 06:12 AM   15
Fire_fly
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClairAye View Post
Hi, I don't know if this is really helpful or not but my first labour was similar to yours and I was offered an elective section which I turned down, mainly because I was due Christmas Eve and would have had to travel over 250 miles away two weeks or so before I was due and live in hospital with my ex and our then 18 month old until I either went into labour or had a section but at my booking appointment we went over my first labour and the midwife had a consultant in on my 13 week appointment to discuss all of my options, if this isn't offered I would definitely ask for it, it was very helpful hearing the ins and outs of my options.

Oh, I will also add that my second labour was an absolute breeze but of course you know what you feel is best. Good luck!
Hi Claire, that's fantastic your midwife was so open to discussing your options with you, must have made the world of difference. In that situation, I don't blame you at all for not choosing a section and it's great that your second labour went so well! I just hope my midwife is as understanding, they were lovely last time so I might just get lucky



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Jun 5th, 2017, 09:26 AM   16
WackyMumof2
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Napier, New Zealand
Posts: 542
I had a traumatic labour with DS1 as the result of my waters breaking 12 hours before active labour or pushing even commenced. 2 hours of pushing and he just wasn't coming out. Turned out he'd lifted his chin off his chest at the point of when I was able to push which resulted in fetal distress and an emergency section. I did not know that his heart rate jumped to 220bpm and didn't drop below 180bpm until I was in the Maternity ward. His heart rate was pretty stable during labour but the minute his heart rate hit those figures, my midwife was not going to risk vaginal delivery - and just as well because we almost lost him.

Given, I had a traumatic labour which resulted in an emergency section. But prior to that I was dead against anyone taking to me with a scalpel. Was dead against it with DS2 and DS3 too which was just as well because I was able to VBAC successfully. For me personally, no matter how traumatic my labour and delivery was with my first, I knew I wasn't going to have to go though surgery again. Especially when my midwife removed the dressings from my wound only to find that they'd use butterfly stitches to hold the wound closed and 4 layers of tape to hold those together. How it didn't rupture we don't know. I guess I was very lucky.

However that said, it sounds like you had further issues due to a small pelvis and hips. I do, for your safety and that of your baby, believe that an elective section is your's and baby's safest option. Voice your opinions, make sure you are heard and as to why you want the section. If you are ignored, try another OB/GYN. Best of luck. Woman NEED to be heard about what we want and not about what medicine thinks what is best for us.



Status: Offline
 
Old Aug 1st, 2017, 02:30 AM   17
Fire_fly
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 217

Update


Hi everyone, haven't been on this thread in a while, haven't had much to update. I've finally got an appointment with the consultant this afternoon so I'm going to have a proper discussion about it all and go from there. I tried talking to the midwife but she just said talk to your consultant when you see him so I'll see how it's goes.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Aug 1st, 2017, 02:37 AM   18
Fire_fly
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyMumof2 View Post
I had a traumatic labour with DS1 as the result of my waters breaking 12 hours before active labour or pushing even commenced. 2 hours of pushing and he just wasn't coming out. Turned out he'd lifted his chin off his chest at the point of when I was able to push which resulted in fetal distress and an emergency section. I did not know that his heart rate jumped to 220bpm and didn't drop below 180bpm until I was in the Maternity ward. His heart rate was pretty stable during labour but the minute his heart rate hit those figures, my midwife was not going to risk vaginal delivery - and just as well because we almost lost him.

Given, I had a traumatic labour which resulted in an emergency section. But prior to that I was dead against anyone taking to me with a scalpel. Was dead against it with DS2 and DS3 too which was just as well because I was able to VBAC successfully. For me personally, no matter how traumatic my labour and delivery was with my first, I knew I wasn't going to have to go though surgery again. Especially when my midwife removed the dressings from my wound only to find that they'd use butterfly stitches to hold the wound closed and 4 layers of tape to hold those together. How it didn't rupture we don't know. I guess I was very lucky.

However that said, it sounds like you had further issues due to a small pelvis and hips. I do, for your safety and that of your baby, believe that an elective section is your's and baby's safest option. Voice your opinions, make sure you are heard and as to why you want the section. If you are ignored, try another OB/GYN. Best of luck. Woman NEED to be heard about what we want and not about what medicine thinks what is best for us.
Sorry to hear about your first labour, that must have been extremely frightening, I'm glad he was okay. Thank you, I just hope the consultant will see it that way.



 
Status: Offline
 
Reply



Bookmarks

Tags
csection , elective

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



SEO by vBSEO