Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 23rd, 2017, 02:41 AM   1
Fire_fly
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 199

Elective c-section after traumatic first labour?


Hi ladies, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with elective sections? I had a traumatic labour with my first. I had to be induced due to medical reasons which ended up with a episiotomy and ventouse due to narrow hips, my mum was the same and had to have sections with all of her children as a result. I almost had to have an emergency section aswell because of this and my child's heart rate going down due to the inducment drugs. But as I as 9cm, laboured very fast they did the epistomy instead.

As a result of this, I didn't heal properly for 18 months and have got nerve damage. My gyno has said if I need to have a further episiotomy, it could result in making it 10x worse and I've already been told with further children I'll most likely need to be induced again (gestational diabetes because of family history)

Prior to being in active labour, I had to do early labour on my own through the night in the ward as my partner wasn't allowed to stay with me after 8pm as I was in a room with other woman who already had their babies.
I had no pain relief during active labour as it went too quickly so had to push my DD out drug free.
As a result of all of this, it's just left me terrified of going through it again.

I had a look at some responses online to people asking similar questions and all I read were horror stories! I've freaked myself out with it. I'm only 5 weeks so plenty of time before any of this happens but just wanted to have a read.

I do understand it is major surgery and the thought of it is scary but I think the alternative would be worse.
I'm in the UK so our medical care is free, I need to explain my situation and the midwife's and doctor decide if I have a good enough reason.

Are sections really that bad ladies? Thank you x



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 23rd, 2017, 18:47 PM   2
DeuceMom
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 372
deleted



Status: Offline
 
Old May 24th, 2017, 00:19 AM   3
Fire_fly
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 199
Thank you, you've really helped. It's nice to know at least one person didn't go through hell with their planned section. I think I'll step away from Dr.Google in regards to that! Lol



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 24th, 2017, 05:11 AM   4
Sarahcake
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,359
Im in the same boat currently.

I'm waiting to see the midwife at my booking in appointment before I get panicky but I had a hideous labour with my son - botched induction, back to back, shoulder dystocia, heart rate dropped, episiotomy, ventous, blood transfusions, catheter for 6 weeks post birth - you name it, I got had it.

I was told by the consultant last time that I would need a csection for subsequent children as the dystocia risk is so high.

My city however are very pushy on vaginal births apparently so I don't know what to do. I think I'd like to give it another go vaginally but realistically I think I'm looking at a section. It's just weather the midwife agrees I guess.

I see her 23rd of June so we shall see.

If you are set that a section is the route you want to take, then go for it, tell them that's what you want and don't take no for an answer. Whilst I've not had one personally, I know a lot of people that have had successful sections x



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 24th, 2017, 05:42 AM   5
Fire_fly
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahcake View Post
Im in the same boat currently.

I'm waiting to see the midwife at my booking in appointment before I get panicky but I had a hideous labour with my son - botched induction, back to back, shoulder dystocia, heart rate dropped, episiotomy, ventous, blood transfusions, catheter for 6 weeks post birth - you name it, I got had it.

I was told by the consultant last time that I would need a csection for subsequent children as the dystocia risk is so high.

My city however are very pushy on vaginal births apparently so I don't know what to do. I think I'd like to give it another go vaginally but realistically I think I'm looking at a section. It's just weather the midwife agrees I guess.

I see her 23rd of June so we shall see.

If you are set that a section is the route you want to take, then go for it, tell them that's what you want and don't take no for an answer. Whilst I've not had one personally, I know a lot of people that had successful sections x

Hi, that sounds awful, sorry you had to go through that.
Good luck with your booking appointment, hopefully you'll get to have the birth you want. Mines is the day after yours, on the 24th, going to speak to the midwife and discuss my options with her.
My main fear is not healing at all after having another episiotomy which almost going to be a gaurantee unfortunately because of my circumstances. The gyno at the time was discussing re-doing my episiotomy (this was around 14 months in) but was reluctant as he said it'll either make it better or 10x worse and won't heal. If it wasn't for that, I'd definitely go for another vaginal birth with an epidural from the begninng but it's just seems a big risk



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 24th, 2017, 05:47 AM   6
Sarahcake
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,359
I would think that the episiotomy concerns would be more than enough grounds for you to get the section. If it's been well documented that your healing was not good and would be compromised by a further episiotomy then that should be all that you need.

If I were in your shoes, I'd defo be looking at the section, putting strain on an area that already has issues doesn't sound like a good thing to do imo. I'm interested to see what they say to you, could you update this thread if poss? I hope it goes your way x



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 24th, 2017, 06:05 AM   7
Fire_fly
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahcake View Post
I would think that the episiotomy concerns would be more than enough grounds for you to get the section. If it's been well documented that your healing was not good and would be compromised by a further episiotomy then that should be all that you need.

If I were in your shoes, I'd defo be looking at the section, putting strain on an area that already has issues doesn't sound like a good thing to do imo. I'm interested to see what they say to you, could you update this thread if poss? I hope it goes your way x
Thanks, i hope so. Yeah no problem hopefully we both get the result we're after xx



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 24th, 2017, 15:12 PM   8
sarah1980
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,369
I had a similar first delivery, had forceps and an episiotomy that took a long time to heal and was left quite traumatised by it all too. I've not thought too much about it in this pregnancy as yet as I've a low lying placenta so may need a section anyway so I've put it out of my mind for the time being as it may be that I don't need to make that decision! If my placenta has moved then I'll be in the same position as you in trying to decide between vaginal or section. I think both have their pros and cons and I'm sure your mw will be up for discussing both options with you. I think it just comes down to preference in this situation, you have to do what is best for you.

Sarah xxx



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 25th, 2017, 02:05 AM   9
Fire_fly
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1980 View Post
I had a similar first delivery, had forceps and an episiotomy that took a long time to heal and was left quite traumatised by it all too. I've not thought too much about it in this pregnancy as yet as I've a low lying placenta so may need a section anyway so I've put it out of my mind for the time being as it may be that I don't need to make that decision! If my placenta has moved then I'll be in the same position as you in trying to decide between vaginal or section. I think both have their pros and cons and I'm sure your mw will be up for discussing both options with you. I think it justice comes down to preference in this situation, you have to do what is best for you.

Sarah xxx
Hi Sarah, sorry to hear about your first delivery. Hopefully you're labour this time goes smoother. As you said you might not have make the decision anyway! Which will hopefully take some stress out of it. You definitely do have to do what's best for you, just depends whether the midwife's see it that way I guess



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 26th, 2017, 01:06 AM   10
xZoeyx
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,380
Fire fly - all of us with babies due in January have a secret Facebook group - would you like to join?

Elective c - section is the route I'm taking and I WILL NOT take no for an answer and my mis wife will get that at the first appointment. I had a 50+ hour labour, it was awful, I tore, lost a lot of blood that's I shouldn't have, and was smacked in the face with severe postnatal depression as a result of the whole thing and I absolutely will not go through that again. So I'm not going to give anyone an option. It's your right as a UK citizen to request an elective c section and although they will try and push you not too, they can't force you!



 
Status: Offline
 
Reply



Bookmarks

Tags
csection , elective

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



SEO by vBSEO