I had medical management for a miscarraige about 3 or 4 weeks ago? (sorry the dates are hazy I've been in a daze for weeks... (I think it was 13th March)
Anyway... I lost a lot of tissue so assumed the pills had done their job, then on Sunday 1st I had another large bleed??? Which completely took me by surprise as I thought things were tailing off...
I went back to Eric and took a test (thursday 5th) still positive??? Asked if I could wait a little longer to see if I get a negative test ( and avoid surgery).
I have taken, another test Tuesday (10th) really faint positive which I though was looking good (hopefully the bleed on Sunday 1st April was the end of it) but I was due to come back in on Friday 13th ( tomorrow) but I have chickened out due to the day and changed appt till Monday... The docs called today and agreed I should take another test sunday. I took another tonight and still faint faint positive???
if its still faint positive Sunday and I go to my appt Monday. Will they have to perform a d&c.... So scared. Xxx.
( this is my 3rd mc and I had d&c with first..... Wanted to avoid another
I wish I could offer some help, but I have never been through it. Personally, I wanted the D&C because I feel I (the doctors) will have more control over the situation. I don't want to be scared somewhere by mysef when I start bleeding heavily. But, that is just my opinion and , as mentioned have never been through this. Sorry I cannot be of more help.
It can take time (sometime weeks) for the HCG to drop in your body after mc that is maybe why your still getting positive tests as they're getting fainter that is showing the level is dropping which is good news.
They will re-scan you first before doing any d&c or deciding on the next step to see if there are any 'products of conception left' - that is the only reason they would opt to do a d&c etc. You can always ask if there is another option rather than d&c anyway.
I had medical managment in Early Jan - they re-scanned after 3 weeks and I hadn't passed everything (still getting strong positive tests) so they gave me another course of medical managment which thankfully worked eventually. My tests started to gradually get lighter until it was negative about 10 days after. (but as I say it can take longer)
If it is the case that you haven't passed everything do you think you could ask perhaps ask to re-try medical management and therefore avoid d&c? (that is if you could face mm of course)
Sorry for quick reply but at work and not a lot of time but wanted to respond to u.
With my first miscarriage it took 2 weeks to get my levels back down to 0 but they were already going down before I miscarried. This time it was a missed miscarriage and my levels were still really high and I just had a D&C yesterday (yes friday the 13th) and my doctor said she might check the levels at my 2 week post op but because my levels are still so high it might take longer to go down. Just like others said they should do an ultrasound before doing anything else to see if there is any tissue left but just because you are still getting positives doesn't mean that you haven't passed everything.
Thank you so much for replying all... It helps so much to talk an feel like someone really does know what you are going through.
I have to take another test tomorrow and if it's still positive then I guess I go in on Monday and find out what my options are.
I just want to avoid another erpc as I had a termination 17 years ago (regrets) and had to have a d&c (erpc) last year. I just want to avoid more incase it does have an effect. Might already be the reason for my miscarriages who know
I'm so sorry for your loss. I am currently in the same position as you, I took the misoprostol 23 days ago and am still bleeding. I don't want a d & c either but am worried that there is still retained tissue. I did have a scan 2 weeks ago and they could still see retained tissue then but said as I had only started mc a week earlier that I should wait and it should all clear naturally and a week is only a short time for mc to fully complete. I haven't done a hpt myself do I don't know if my hcg levels are still above zero or not. Going to phone the hosptial tomorrow to discuss my options but I can guess that they will tell me to wait yet another week!! Don't worry yourself though, I would imagine that if something was wrong you'd feel ill or be in pain. How far along were you? I would have been 12 weeks and baby was size of 11 weeks so maybe size of baby and length of pregnancy could extend length of mc. Hope you are ok xxxxxxxx
Any opinions, advice, statements or other information expressed or made available on BabyandBump.Momtastic.com by users or third parties, including but not limited to bloggers, are solely those of the respective user or other third party. They do not reflect the opinions of BabyandBump.Momtastic.com and they have not been reviewed by a physician, psychologist or parenting expert or any member of the BabyandBump.Momtastic.com staff for accuracy, balance or objectivity. Content and other information presented on BabyandBump.Momtastic.com are not a substitute for professional medical or mental health advice, counseling, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical or mental health advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on BabyandBump.Momtastic.com. BabyandBump.Momtastic.com does not endorse any opinion, advice, statement, product, service or treatment made available on the website. If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or emergency services immediately.