Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 15:56 PM   11
Sealgirl
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Scotland
Posts: 877
Filipenko, I was looking for you! So sorry to hear you are going through this again, I was wishing things would be different for you!

Anyway, yes I am taking asprin 75mg, I started taking it at 11 weeks. My midwife got the consultant in to see me at my booking appointment after she saw that I had, had 3 miscarriages. She was shocked that no-one had told me before to get on asprin, but I had asked another midwife, when I was being tested for various problems if I should take it next time and she said no, it would not change the outcome of anything.

So I guess there is lots of professional difference!

However, this consultant said to me that it would make the blood around the baby and the placenta work harder and was proven to reduce miscarriages in people with blood disorders. Apparently, your blood changes when you are pregnant, so even although you may have been tested and everything was fine, whilst you were not pregnant, that is perhaps not the case when you get your BFP.

There are so many differing opinions, I just don't know what to think, but all I know is this time, baby has made it to 24 weeks and counting. Whether that has anything to do with asprin, I have no idea!

I did have raised alkaline content in my urine at last appointment which could be due to asprin and that's made me worry slightly, but I know I am being looked after so for the moment, I'm trusting the professionals who are looking after me. xxx



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 16:13 PM   12
bananaz
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 6,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by KahluaCupcake View Post
I'm not going to take it unless my doctor suggests it for any reason.

Personally, I believe, as sad as it is, that whatever is going to happen, is going to happen. I don't want to be depressing, but I don't think anyone can stop a miscarriage from happening.
After my last loss, though it was upsetting to hear, my doctor was right. He said the reason why 99% of live births are with healthy children is that nature takes care of the unhealthy ones.
As much as I would love to have had the chance to hold my daughter, she had a problem from the moment of conception, and had only a 1-2% chance of survival. If life for her was going to be a struggle, then I would prefer to have never seen her than to see her survive, but be in pain...on life support or worse. I know it's really awful, but I've tried to take a positive standpoint.
My heart goes out to everyone. And maybe I'm lucky that I know why my baby left.
But no. I don't believe that aspirin will cure a miscarriage.
And I wish you all the absolute best of luck.
It depends on what's causing the miscarriage. If someone has miscarriages because of a blood clotting disorder (thrombophilia) that's preventing adequate blood flow to the uterus, then a low dose of aspirin can have significant therapeutic benefits and improve pregnancy outcomes. This fact has been demonstrated in a number of studies.

On the other hand, if someone is miscarrying due to genetic abnormalities with the fetus or a hormonal imbalance or something else, then aspirin probably won't do much, as you said.

In response to OP:

Ever taken aspirin before? / outcome of pregnancy?: No / miscarriage

Pregnant now? / Weeks? Yes / 8w 4d

Taking aspirin for present pregnancy? Yes

If taking aspirin now what dose, when did you start taking it, when do you stop taking it on a BFN cycle? 81mg, I started when I got my BFP, wasn't taking it before

Any successful pregnancies where you took aspirin? N/A

Any bad things you know of about taking aspirin in pregnancy? I've been bruising more easily and of course there are bleeding risks when you get close to term.

Any more treatments during pregnancy? High dose of folic acid

Any diagnosed reason for taking aspirin? Both of my parents have MTHFR mutations



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 17:05 PM   13
filipenko32
Other
BnB Elite
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canterbury UK
Posts: 10,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealgirl View Post
Filipenko, I was looking for you! So sorry to hear you are going through this again, I was wishing things would be different for you!

Anyway, yes I am taking asprin 75mg, I started taking it at 11 weeks. My midwife got the consultant in to see me at my booking appointment after she saw that I had, had 3 miscarriages. She was shocked that no-one had told me before to get on asprin, but I had asked another midwife, when I was being tested for various problems if I should take it next time and she said no, it would not change the outcome of anything.

So I guess there is lots of professional difference!

However, this consultant said to me that it would make the blood around the baby and the placenta work harder and was proven to reduce miscarriages in people with blood disorders. Apparently, your blood changes when you are pregnant, so even although you may have been tested and everything was fine, whilst you were not pregnant, that is perhaps not the case when you get your BFP.

There are so many differing opinions, I just don't know what to think, but all I know is this time, baby has made it to 24 weeks and counting. Whether that has anything to do with asprin, I have no idea!

I did have raised alkaline content in my urine at last appointment which could be due to asprin and that's made me worry slightly, but I know I am being looked after so for the moment, I'm trusting the professionals who are looking after me. xxx
Hi! Yeah it wasn't meant to be this time! I'm so happy you're now 24 weeks I'm now thinking I should take the aspirin from bfp inistead of all the time! I think it's really really rare for anything bad to happen at 24 weeks so I think you can really relax now but i know it's hard x



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 17:10 PM   14
filipenko32
Other
BnB Elite
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canterbury UK
Posts: 10,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KahluaCupcake View Post
I'm not going to take it unless my doctor suggests it for any reason.

Personally, I believe, as sad as it is, that whatever is going to happen, is going to happen. I don't want to be depressing, but I don't think anyone can stop a miscarriage from happening.
After my last loss, though it was upsetting to hear, my doctor was right. He said the reason why 99% of live births are with healthy children is that nature takes care of the unhealthy ones.
As much as I would love to have had the chance to hold my daughter, she had a problem from the moment of conception, and had only a 1-2% chance of survival. If life for her was going to be a struggle, then I would prefer to have never seen her than to see her survive, but be in pain...on life support or worse. I know it's really awful, but I've tried to take a positive standpoint.
My heart goes out to everyone. And maybe I'm lucky that I know why my baby left.
But no. I don't believe that aspirin will cure a miscarriage.
And I wish you all the absolute best of luck.
It depends on what's causing the miscarriage. If someone has miscarriages because of a blood clotting disorder (thrombophilia) that's preventing adequate blood flow to the uterus, then a low dose of aspirin can have significant therapeutic benefits and improve pregnancy outcomes. This fact has been demonstrated in a number of studies.

On the other hand, if someone is miscarrying due to genetic abnormalities with the fetus or a hormonal imbalance or something else, then aspirin probably won't do much, as you said.

In response to OP:

Ever taken aspirin before? / outcome of pregnancy?: No / miscarriage

Pregnant now? / Weeks? Yes / 8w 4d

Taking aspirin for present pregnancy? Yes

If taking aspirin now what dose, when did you start taking it, when do you stop taking it on a BFN cycle? 81mg, I started when I got my BFP, wasn't taking it before

Any successful pregnancies where you took aspirin? N/A

Any bad things you know of about taking aspirin in pregnancy? I've been bruising more easily and of course there are bleeding risks when you get close to term.

Any more treatments during pregnancy? High dose of folic acid

Any diagnosed reason for taking aspirin? Both parents have MTHFR mutations
Hi thanks for posting! which kind of mthfr mutation do you have? I have the one that's the least harmful and no one ever mentioned anything about testing DH for this. Wishing you a h&h 7 months left! x



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 17:23 PM   15
bananaz
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 6,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by filipenko32 View Post

Hi thanks for posting! which kind of mthfr mutation do you have? I have the one that's the least harmful and no one ever mentioned anything about testing DH for this. Wishing you a h&h 7 months left! x
Sorry, I should've been more specific - both of MY parents have been diagnosed with MTHFR mutations, which is how I know that I must have the mutations as well. My mom is heterozygous with C677T and A1298T mutations and my dad is homozygous for the C677T mutation, so I know that I must also be a compound heterozygote or a homozygote. I haven't bothered getting tested myself because the treatment is really the same either way.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 19:41 PM   16
Tisiphonie
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 75
Aspirin isn't to stop a miscarriage from happening in the event of a chromosomal issue, or low progesterone, but it can stop a needless miscarriage from happening because of a clotting disorder (which I have). I get so upset when people say that baby aspirin causes stillbirth. This is not true. What is true is that a baby aspirin may have saved my son from BEING a stillbirth since he had a stricture in the umbilical cord which means that his cord formed a bit too small on the inside (a fluke), and a single blood clot would have stopped him from getting nutrients. That small of a dose of aspirin is a preventative. It's far different from taking a regular aspirin.

Ever taken aspirin before? / outcome of pregnancy?: Yes / unknown

Pregnant now? / Weeks? Yes / 7 weeks

Taking aspirin for present pregnancy? Yes

If taking aspirin now what dose, when did you start taking it, when do you stop taking it on a BFN cycle? Taking a 81mg a day baby aspirin and was told to take it the entire cycle I was trying to conceive and to continue if I got pregnant. I did, and so I'm still taking it.

Any successful pregnancies where you took aspirin? Hoping this one is!

Any bad things you know of about taking aspirin in pregnancy? I have heard a few bad things, but I have heard more GOOD things, especially for people who need their blood thinned because of clotting. As for implantation, well this little one implanted just fine!

Any more treatments during pregnancy? Lovenox once a day 40mg

Any diagnosed reason for taking aspirin? Mildly elevated protein C resistance, positive ANA, and suspected thrombophilia. Stillbirth and two MMCs.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 01:14 AM   17
filipenko32
Other
BnB Elite
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canterbury UK
Posts: 10,926
Hi Tisiphonie, so so sorry for your losses
Thanks so much for posting, that's really useful. Wishing you all the very best for a h & h 7 months &1 week left to go!



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 02:57 AM   18
midori1999
Other
BnB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,460
As has been said, Asprin is proven to be helpful to successful pregnancy outcomes where there is known thrombophilia.

I have Hughes Syndrome and although I had 3 successful pregnancies, (didn't know about the Hughes then) since then I have had 2 early (8 weeks ish) miscarriages and lost twin girls at 24 weeks. With the second early miscarriage I was on clexane 80mg twice daily as I had had blood clots in my lungs during my pregnancy with the twins, so was still on a theraputic dose of clexane then.

I now have a 4 month old daughter. I took 75mg of asprin whilst TTC and then clexane 60mg once daily from the moment of my BFP. (just under 4 weeks) I stopped the asprin at 37 weeks, went into labour at 37+6 and stopped the clexane at the onset of labour. Despite also having gestational diabetes, my placenta stayed in better than expected condition for a pregnancy without Huges or GD throughout pregnancy and I put that down to the asprin. I don't believe I would have my daughter without it.

According to my haematologist, there are no potential dangers to taking low dose asprin in pregnancy. Even the risk of bleeding is absolutely minimal, and you can have a full c-section whilst on Asprin.



Status: Offline
 
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 17:43 PM   19
lizbif
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 35
Ever taken aspirin before? / outcome of pregnancy?: No never taken it

Pregnant now? / Weeks? 7 weeks 1 day

Taking aspirin for present pregnancy? yes

If taking aspirin now what dose, when did you start taking it, when do you stop taking it on a BFN cycle? 81 mg (baby asprin). Started taking it when blood tests showed that i may have a blood clotting problem

Any successful pregnancies where you took aspirin? not yet

Any bad things you know of about taking aspirin in pregnancy? Only you have to stop taking it a few weeks before delivery??

Any more treatments during pregnancy? metformin (PCOS and insulin resistance) and synthroid

Any diagnosed reason for taking aspirin?not yet

I have an appointment tomorrow with a MFM and I am super nervous!! My first blood test said that I did have a clotting issue. Second blood test came back normal???



Status: Offline
 
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 17:00 PM   20
fides
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,692
Ever taken aspirin before? / outcome of pregnancy?: not before this pregnancy

Pregnant now? / Weeks? Yes / 38 weeks

Taking aspirin for present pregnancy? Yes

If taking aspirin now what dose, when did you start taking it, when do you stop taking it on a BFN cycle? about 70mg; didn't take it while ttc; began taking it at 4 weeks (after BFP)

Any successful pregnancies where you took aspirin? hoping this one will be!

Any bad things you know of about taking aspirin in pregnancy? not for baby aspirin doses

Any more treatments during pregnancy? no

Any diagnosed reason for taking aspirin? suspected clotting issue with way regular cycles go



 
Status: Offline
 

SEO by vBSEO