Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 08:48 AM   21
Shrimpy
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,467
with dd2 my waters didn't break until my first push, dd was born 2 pushes later. I never even thought to ask for them to break them, I was happy to wait for them to break on their own?



Status: Offline
 
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 08:56 AM   22
Blah11
Mum (Mom)
BnB Spammer Elite
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 39,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaniceT View Post
My OBGYN suggests that every pregnant woman has a Pregnancy Plan (Google this, you'll find lots of samples) so that he knows what I want during pregnancy. One of them is, if I want an epidural, or if I prefer my water broken.

Doc said it's not harmful at all. In fact, really good for doctors to check if the baby is in stress (water is green or black) and needs to be delivered immediately. Also, by breaking the water, most women will deliver within an hour from that.
I disagree with your OBGYN. I think you should decide on whether you want an epidural or not during labour.. how are you supposed to know what you want when you have no idea how your body will react to the pain of labour.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 08:58 AM   23
BostonMommy
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 373
I have heard of them not breaking them until the head is well applied to the cervix for fear of the cord getting caught in between but once it's safe, most doctors here will break it to get things going.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 09:25 AM   24
cupcake23
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: London
Posts: 1,034
I found this for you which will explain why they will not routinely break your waters.....

Artificial rupture of membranes
Controversial subject with debate between those wary of potential complications and unnecessary intervention, against those with equal concerns for the benefits, when indicated, of closer monitoring of the baby and avoidance of excessively long labour.

Indications
Induction of labour.
Augmentation (speed up) labour.
Fetal monitoring in labour: monitoring liquor, fetal scalp electrode, fetal blood sample.

Complications
Increased pain to the mother.
Fetal distress.
Maternal or fetal sepsis.
Cord prolapse.
Wrong dates - prematurity.
Rupture of vasa previa with likely resultant fetal exsanguination (fetal mortality 33-100%)

At my hospital if waters are broken the women has only 2 hours to progress or deliver, if this is not done then we intervene with drips etc when it may have not been needed, plus monitoring alone will tell you if baby is distressed, breaking of waters will only tell you why, it is common for post date babies to have opened the bowels and this is not a sign of being distressed therefore you complicate a labour which would have been other wise 'normal'.

In terms of shortening labour, read this (health professional database)
http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab006167.html

I personally believe that if you are close to delivering (head just there) then breaking the waters should be done after the midwife discusses any risks... with both my births my waters were broken right at the end and with my hb I screamed for her to do it because lo was just sitting there.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 05:08 AM   25
MummyToAmberx
Pregnant (Expecting)
BnB Elite
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wolverhampton
Posts: 14,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcake23 View Post
I found this for you which will explain why they will not routinely break your waters.....

Artificial rupture of membranes
Controversial subject with debate between those wary of potential complications and unnecessary intervention, against those with equal concerns for the benefits, when indicated, of closer monitoring of the baby and avoidance of excessively long labour.

Indications
Induction of labour.
Augmentation (speed up) labour.
Fetal monitoring in labour: monitoring liquor, fetal scalp electrode, fetal blood sample.

Complications
Increased pain to the mother.
Fetal distress.
Maternal or fetal sepsis.
Cord prolapse.
Wrong dates - prematurity.
Rupture of vasa previa with likely resultant fetal exsanguination (fetal mortality 33-100%)

At my hospital if waters are broken the women has only 2 hours to progress or deliver, if this is not done then we intervene with drips etc when it may have not been needed, plus monitoring alone will tell you if baby is distressed, breaking of waters will only tell you why, it is common for post date babies to have opened the bowels and this is not a sign of being distressed therefore you complicate a labour which would have been other wise 'normal'.

In terms of shortening labour, read this (health professional database)
http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab006167.html

I personally believe that if you are close to delivering (head just there) then breaking the waters should be done after the midwife discusses any risks... with both my births my waters were broken right at the end and with my hb I screamed for her to do it because lo was just sitting there.

My first was broken when i was 10cm, 10mins later she was out & had poo'd

My second my last check had shown 8cm but they refused anymore.
I was having the urge to push & she could see my waters but refussed to break them, beacause it wasnt good on the babies head, nothing else was discussed.
I asked her god knows how many times to break them i just wanted to push, personally for me it was 100x more painful trying to push with waters there than not there but still refused.

All im asking is what the policy is in hospital you attended



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 10:17 AM   26
Chantibug
Pregnant (Expecting)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by MummyToAmberx View Post
ive asked this before awhile ago now no-one replied so thought if try again.

hospital i had my youngest in told me there policy on 'your waters' was now they no longer pop them as it isnt good on the 'drop' your babies head has to do, at the time this really annoyed me i was ready to push but waters were still there it was hurting alot more than first labour they refused.

as my youngest head was crowning my waters finally went & what a relief, i was wondering if this new policy is happening anywhere else?
wow! never heard of that, but I am in the US.. I had my water broken with both my DS when I got to like 8cm..



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 10:52 AM   27
LulaBug
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London
Posts: 2,451
I had my waters broken when I was at 7cm I think, I'd been in labour for almost 48 hours and they broke my waters before giving me my epidural in the hope things would speed up. I eventually had my son by assisted delivery (Ventouse) 12 hours later. I felt an urge to push though before they were broken, which was apparently the waters wanting/trying to break.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 11:00 AM   28
Chantibug
Pregnant (Expecting)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaniceT View Post
My OBGYN suggests that every pregnant woman has a Pregnancy Plan (Google this, you'll find lots of samples) so that he knows what I want during pregnancy. One of them is, if I want an epidural, or if I prefer my water broken.

Doc said it's not harmful at all. In fact, really good for doctors to check if the baby is in stress (water is green or black) and needs to be delivered immediately. Also, by breaking the water, most women will deliver within an hour from that.
I disagree with your OBGYN. I think you should decide on whether you want an epidural or not during labour.. how are you supposed to know what you want when you have no idea how your body will react to the pain of labour.

The birth plan is a 'guideline' to be accomodated if it can..obviously things can change. Mine includes that I prefer to be offered medication like demoral or stadol , and if i want an epidural after that then I will request one. That leaves it open.. and you can put that you want one (esp if you've done this before ) and if you dont need it you dont have to have it, and if you leave it out thiking you will do it naturally with no medication and you might want one so you can ask for one... so, just a guideline.

I personal like the birth plan because i can let the nursery know my preferences for the baby since i wont be there.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 01:22 AM   29
Rmar
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,483
I like this article to describe the uses of the amniotic sac well into labour and not just for pregnancy (sorry if that came out jumbled, I'm a little scatter brained):

http://midwifethinking.com/2010/08/2...-amniotic-sac/

I like that some places are now choosing more evidence based policies because I feel it is much safe than the majority of places that go with policies that were once thought to be of benefit but have been since been proven otherwise. There usually isn't any reason to break the waters at all because any benefit that has been shown has further been shown to not outweigh the risks in the majority of cases.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 22:47 PM   30
Dukechick
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,770
I'm in Canada, and that's how they induced me with Cameron last year. They broke my water.



 
Status: Offline
 
Reply



Bookmarks

Tags
breaking , policy , waters

featured articles


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search






SEO by vBSEO