Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 21st, 2013, 00:28 AM   1
MrsGax
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 769

Hcg levels and vanishing twin


Hi ladies... So I had my hcg levels tested and they came back at 6396. 2 days later they were only 7128. Basically I knew right away it was another mmc. Well, went in for an US today and Dr saw 2 different gestational sacs, one with nothing inside and the other had an embryo and a little heart beat measuring between 90-100 bpm. Also measuring about 5 days behind at 6 weeks exactly when I should be 6 weeks 5 days, which I do not like. Anyone ever have this happen? My dr said no more hcg levels cause she does not like them. It is so crazy to go from thinking it was over to this. I just do not know what to think.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 21st, 2013, 01:04 AM   2
Nelle84
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 164
Fingers crossed for you! Do they plan another U/S?

I had something similar- I had some bleeding so they did an emergency u/s and thought they saw 2 gestational sacs, but one of them doesn't look like it ever developed and is most likely the cause of the bleed. We went for a follow-up scan yesterday, a week later, and there is a happy little blob in there with a good heart beat.
I know its hard, especially after your previous loss, but just have to focus on the little heart beat and hope for the best. Thats what I'm doing!



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 21st, 2013, 07:49 AM   3
steph.
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,390
After 6000 hcg doesn't rise as quickly. It's only if it's lower than 6000 that it's expected to double every 48-72 hours. Are you sure of your dates? This bean was measuring 4 days behind at 6w scan eventhough I knew when I ovulated. At 13 week scan it was measuring 5 days ahead being pretty much bang on my dates. I think at 6 week's they are so tiny it's easy for the measurement to be a bit off!



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 21st, 2013, 11:49 AM   4
jammers77
Other
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGax View Post
Hi ladies... So I had my hcg levels tested and they came back at 6396. 2 days later they were only 7128. Basically I knew right away it was another mmc. Well, went in for an US today and Dr saw 2 different gestational sacs, one with nothing inside and the other had an embryo and a little heart beat measuring between 90-100 bpm. Also measuring about 5 days behind at 6 weeks exactly when I should be 6 weeks 5 days, which I do not like. Anyone ever have this happen? My dr said no more hcg levels cause she does not like them. It is so crazy to go from thinking it was over to this. I just do not know what to think.
I can't speak for hcg levels, but I can tell you that a baby measuring at 5+6 with a heartbeat between 90-100 is completely normal. When I was 6+2 and baby was measuring 5+6 and had a heartbeat of 95. I was freaked out and thought it was too low. Now baby is fine with a great heartbeat.

It does sound like maybe you had vanishing twin. A lady who was a therapist at my chiropractor's office had a vanishing twin. She had hcg go wonky like that, too after the twin passed.

FXd for you, hon. Keep us updated.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 21st, 2013, 12:02 PM   5
MrsGax
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelle84 View Post
Fingers crossed for you! Do they plan another U/S?

I had something similar- I had some bleeding so they did an emergency u/s and thought they saw 2 gestational sacs, but one of them doesn't look like it ever developed and is most likely the cause of the bleed. We went for a follow-up scan yesterday, a week later, and there is a happy little blob in there with a good heart beat.
I know its hard, especially after your previous loss, but just have to focus on the little heart beat and hope for the best. Thats what I'm doing!
Thank you! Yea, it is hard from my first loss. I never saw a HB with the first one, just a really large yolk and I was still so sad. This time, I just knew for sure that the hcg meant it had passed already so imagine my surprise when I saw the flicker. I am still cautious. You had bleeding? She said I might as well or it just might absorb.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 21st, 2013, 12:06 PM   6
MrsGax
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph. View Post
After 6000 hcg doesn't rise as quickly. It's only if it's lower than 6000 that it's expected to double every 48-72 hours. Are you sure of your dates? This bean was measuring 4 days behind at 6w scan eventhough I knew when I ovulated. At 13 week scan it was measuring 5 days ahead being pretty much bang on my dates. I think at 6 week's they are so tiny it's easy for the measurement to be a bit off!
Well, not positive on when I O'ed... I didn't even think I did cause I had NO ewcm. Like at all. I just got my first squinting barely there bfp SOOO early... April 24th. 6 days before my expected period! So I thought that I had to be at least 8 dpo. How early can you get a bfp if you have twins? My dr thinks that they might have implanted separately. But then the one either never developed or did and just stop developing. Who knows. i hope it is okay for the 5 days off! Me and DH are pretty small people so maybe the bun is just short lol.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 21st, 2013, 12:09 PM   7
MrsGax
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammers77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGax View Post
Hi ladies... So I had my hcg levels tested and they came back at 6396. 2 days later they were only 7128. Basically I knew right away it was another mmc. Well, went in for an US today and Dr saw 2 different gestational sacs, one with nothing inside and the other had an embryo and a little heart beat measuring between 90-100 bpm. Also measuring about 5 days behind at 6 weeks exactly when I should be 6 weeks 5 days, which I do not like. Anyone ever have this happen? My dr said no more hcg levels cause she does not like them. It is so crazy to go from thinking it was over to this. I just do not know what to think.
I can't speak for hcg levels, but I can tell you that a baby measuring at 5+6 with a heartbeat between 90-100 is completely normal. When I was 6+2 and baby was measuring 5+6 and had a heartbeat of 95. I was freaked out and thought it was too low. Now baby is fine with a great heartbeat.

It does sound like maybe you had vanishing twin. A lady who was a therapist at my chiropractor's office had a vanishing twin. She had hcg go wonky like that, too after the twin passed.

FXd for you, hon. Keep us updated.
Yea, I sort of freaked out just cause I was supposed to be 6+5 and measuring 5 days behind. Dr said it is normal and they will not change due date. But the little heart beat was hard to measure cause it is so tiny so they said 90-100 and then I read online some places that below 100 is bad I just have to go back on friday to see if the little bun is still there with a heartbeat. Thank you, I will def keep updated once I know more.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 21st, 2013, 12:25 PM   8
jammers77
Other
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGax View Post
Yea, I sort of freaked out just cause I was supposed to be 6+5 and measuring 5 days behind. Dr said it is normal and they will not change due date. But the little heart beat was hard to measure cause it is so tiny so they said 90-100 and then I read online some places that below 100 is bad I just have to go back on friday to see if the little bun is still there with a heartbeat. Thank you, I will def keep updated once I know more.
YES! I did this, too, and it set me up for heartbreak. I sat around here for a month worried to death that I'd lose my baby. Some people online absolutely insisted that a baby close to the 6 week mark should have a HB of at least 110, some even mentioned 120. Then others insisted that anything above 80-85 was good. What gave me a little comfort was the fact that at some point DURING the fifth week (no one knows exactly when it takes place that week), the heart starts beating and slowly (3 points per day) increases.

It sounds like your baby is measuring exactly what mine was. And for us, it was hard to get our baby's HB too. It was easily visible, but it was a bit challenging to get a measurement. Hope to hear some good news from you soon! You deserve it.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 21st, 2013, 13:30 PM   9
Dingo1985
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Grove Park, London
Posts: 394
I think vanishing twins are surprisingly common in the first few weeks - I've had a few friends/family who thought they were miscarrying only to find that one healthy baby was left. I pray that you have a happy and healthy pregnancy. I wouldn't worry too much about the 5 days difference as it's so early for them to be able to tell and working out conception is such a dark art.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 21st, 2013, 16:51 PM   10
melfy77
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,402
A heartrate of 90-100bpm at the BEGINNING of 6 weeks is perfectly normal 120bpm is typically seen towards the end of the 6th week. I've read that it starts beating around 85bpm and increases 3.3bpm /day.

I also got my BFP at 8dpo, so thinking maybe it's twins As long as we have at least one healthy little bean in there we're happy! I have an U/S on Monday and I can't wait!!!



 
Status: Offline
 
Reply



Bookmarks

Tags
hcg , levels , twin , vanishing

featured articles


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search






SEO by vBSEO