Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 3rd, 2018, 00:25 AM   1
Uzmatron
Pregnant (Expecting)
New BnB member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 2

1:95 High Risk of down syndrome


Hi, I am 38 years old with preexisting diabetes type 2. Yesterday I had my 12 weeks scan and the doc said that the measurements are fine but my age plus measurements combined give a risk of 1:95 for down syndrome. They did see the nasal bone plus the heart beat is also fine i dont know about other things. Will get the detail report on 16th May. But I am freaking out. I haven't gone for any bloods.

Please pray for me.



Status: Offline
 
Old May 3rd, 2018, 00:32 AM   2
Uzmatron
Pregnant (Expecting)
New BnB member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 2
When I was trying for 8 years, no doc told me the risks associated with pregnancy, and now when I am pregnant , all they have to do is to scare me everyday.

I am devastated, angry and tense!



Status: Offline
 
Old May 3rd, 2018, 12:01 PM   3
Brieanna
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 2,064
I'm sorry that you are going through this. I am older as well and I haven't decided if I'm going to do the tests yet because it won't make a difference to me, but I might do it for the rest of my family do they know and it's not as much of a surprise. I knew all the risks going in though.

There is a section on here for high risk pregnancies I think where you might get more people who know more. I know there is a pregnant over 35 group and there are a lot more people in the trimester boards. I don't know if you want to be in first or second.

If you don't know how to find it, go to "home" and then scroll down until you see which forum you want to visit.

Hopefully all turns out well for you.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 3rd, 2018, 14:29 PM   4
mrscletus
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 772
They are simply basing that "statistic" off of text books. I was at the 1:150 range when I got pregnant at 35. I went ahead and had the genetic testing done at 11 weeks, and the results came back as <1:10,000. I was like Brienna and really only wanted to do the testing to prepare the family just in case.

I hope that all works out for you and you have an amazingly healthy and happy 9 months. Congrats on your miracle momma!!



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 3rd, 2018, 15:45 PM   5
BunnyN
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Portugal
Posts: 2,773
At my 1st scan with our second I was 13 weeks and we were told the NT measurement was large. The doctor doing the sonograph said he thought our risk of downs syndrome was about 1:3. After research on the Internet I believe it was more like 1:10 but still high. The nasal bone and other markers all looked normal which he did say was a good sign and ruled some of the more severe issues. He also said the heart and organs looked normal. He thought a mayor heart defect (which can be associated with DS) would likely be visible already. We decided to skip the blood testing and went straight for the harmony blood test as I knew I didn't want an amnio. It came back low risk. DS was born healthy and is 3 now.

I know it is stressful but try and remember your chances of everything being fine is still very high. I found looking at the numbers in percentages helped. 1:95 is basically a 1% chance which means you have close to 99% chance everything is fine.



 
Status: Offline
 

SEO by vBSEO