LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 17:21 PM   1
binksmommy
Pregnant (Expecting)
Chat Happy BnB Member

Anyone cloth diapering?

I have invested in some cloth diapers.. I think they are really awesome.. Hope I can hang with it!

Old Apr 26th, 2013, 00:25 AM   2
Barbi
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

I plan to use reusable nappies also. Which brand did you go with? I was looking at Bambooties to start with, but now decided to go with Pea Pods instead which are a little less costly. Bambooties you can get a three day pack consisting of 24 nappies in whatever colour or design you want (they have many different colours and designs), for $450.00 Australian dollars, whereas Pea Pods are very similar but have packs at 10 nappies and Bamboo liners included at a cost of $199.00 per 10 pack.

The other difference I noted, which is my main reason for going with Pea Pods is that Pea Pods has a one size fits all babies all the way to toilet training time, so all you have to do is adjust the clip hidden inside the nappy to the newborn size for proper sealing around the legs until baby grows and then you just let out the clip to suit baby's growth. With Bambooties, you buy different sized nappies as baby grows, at a higher cost.

Good luck with your choice.

Old Apr 26th, 2013, 05:47 AM   3
Kaites
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member

We are- I saved all our cloth diapers from my first so I'm excited that they will really start to pay for themselves with our second kiddo :-)

Old Apr 26th, 2013, 09:58 AM   4
J22
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member

I definitely want to go cloth. I'm scared to buy all my stock (are around 24 - 30 enough??) in case it doesn't work out. But is there really any reason it wouldn't work out??
I thought maybe I'd need to use disposables for newborn and buy one size cloth for when bubs is a few weeks old.....would this be what you'd suggest I do? Does one size fit fine from say around a month old to when they're out of nappies, and do they last ok all that time?

I'm still a little confused on how to go about this as you can see x
Thanks ladies!

Old Apr 26th, 2013, 10:56 AM   5
chicka.chicka
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

This will be my third cloth-diapered baby. I didn't start with them until #8. I love them! Over the last 3 years I have tried some of everything, but always end up coming back to the basics - flat diapers and waterproof covers. I have used disposables from time to time for different reasons, but have used cloth a good 85% to 90% of the time since I started. I love cloth!

Old Apr 26th, 2013, 10:59 AM   6
chicka.chicka
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

You can definitely cloth diaper from birth; no need to use disposables for the first month, although some prefer to use them until the meconium as passed and/or the cord has fallen off. I used cloth on #8 and #9 from the beginning, and intend to do the same for this one. Most one-size diapers start to fit well at about 8 pounds, but there are newborn size diapers that work well until the one-size start to fit. Most of my stash is flats and one-size covers since I already have 2 in diapers, but I will have some newborn size covers to get this next one by until they can fit the one-size covers.

Old Apr 26th, 2013, 12:35 PM   7
Shanoa
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Active BnB Member

I'm curious, what is the benefit of cloth? There's the obvious environmental argument, I guess. But what do you ladies prefer about it?

Old Apr 26th, 2013, 12:40 PM   8
J22
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member

The 2 reasons I want to use cloth are environmental and cost (I believe it's about half the cost for the first year alone and you can continue to use the same nappies after that). The environmental issue is a big thing for me too.

Does anyone have any more accurate info on cost saving?

Old Apr 26th, 2013, 14:10 PM   9
chicka.chicka
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

Cost is the biggest factor for me, too. Especially with having more than one in diapers, the cost of disposables really adds up, and it bugs me to feel like I'm literally throwing all that money in the trash.

The savings difference is very subjective. It really depends on what kinds of cloth diapers you use, how many you have, whether you tend to buy all the latest, greatest things or whether you go the inexpensive prefold/flat route and stick with it all the way through. Many cloth moms I know will freely admit that they have easily spent far more on cloth than they would have on disposables, but for them it was as much a fun hobby as anything. So it really just depends. For me, I can't really quantify how much I've saved over using disposables all this time, but I know I have saved quite a bit since even with all the experimenting I have done I bought used, re-sold what I didn't want to use, and have mostly stuck with an inexpensive system.

I will say that the increased laundry/energy costs associated with washing cloth diapers has been very negligible for me. It has barely made a difference in our overall utility costs, but then we are a large family already so an extra 3 loads of laundry a week is a pretty small drop in the bucket anyway.

Old Apr 26th, 2013, 14:28 PM   10
Kaites
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member

I also preferred that the cloth seemed to hold in nasty poop blowouts better than disposables. I also find that disposables smell more than cloth- something about the chemicals in them mixing with the urine makes for a worse smell, imo