LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 14th, 2014, 12:15 PM   31
Jazzbird
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

Melly - wooooohooooo! Congrats! Another milestone completed!

Tryfor2 - lovely to read about your experiences.

Ging - I was advised to avoid underwired bras as it interferes with milk ducts. I think it's more relevant the later you are in pregnancy but as soon as I went for a fitting they suggested I get non underwired bras which I'm now wearing. God they're ugly!

Running out of iPhone battery - will post more later

Xxx

Old May 14th, 2014, 12:49 PM   32
tryfor2
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

Melly2--how wonderful. That's worth a partial sigh of relief, right? This pregnancy, doctors were so negative, saying "if" the pregnancy continues, "if" it's viable etc. (despite my not having had problems in the past). Each scan and HR check brought more relief, as it will you, I'm sure. Wait till you hit your v-day--then it will really seem real. Twenty-four weeks may seem like ages, but it will be here before you know it!

Old May 15th, 2014, 09:09 AM   33
melly2
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

I was curious if anyone is using a midwife? My husband and I are meeting with our midwife today, which I'm excited about. It's at a birthing center, not a hospital, and it's all midwives with the exception of one OB, if needed.

Old May 15th, 2014, 11:43 AM   34
Jazzbird
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

In uk antenatal and post natal care is run by midwives. In fact the birth is midwife led with support from doctors where necessary. So I've met mine a few times now. I'm not sure what I think to uk system! I'm just starting a natal hypnotherapy course to help me give birth. I'm scared that too much hospital intervention leads to too many problems but then again if something unexpected happens I would want to be in hospital. Tricky!

Old May 15th, 2014, 13:30 PM   35
tryfor2
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

I'm using an OB. Last pregnancy I did shared care between my GP (up to 32 weeks) and then an OB. I don't know, there are pros and cons to each--I love my OB. She's pretty relaxed but can be aggressive when necessary. I looked into midwifery last time but the ones around here were pretty clear about patients having to be in agreement with their views on medication and intervention (lack thereof) and that turned me off because I was pretty sure I wanted an epidural.

I know doctors get a bad rap for rising c-section rates (quicker, easier for them), but I didn't have that experience. I pushed for almost five hours--believe me, I was praying for a c-section! I did end up having some intervention--vacuum extraction and an episiotomy but it was very much needed. I had a stiff perineum and my vaginal opening would not stretch large enough to get my son's big head through. Episiotomies aren't often done anymore (tears heal better/faster) but the pressure was so great my dr. said I was going to "tear everywhere." So I very much appreciated her intervening. I know several people who had horrid tears and had to have reconstructive surgery afterwards, so I'd rather a little snip than that. I was up sitting crossed legged within hours.

Personally, I would not feel comfortable giving birth at home. Even if I were using a MW I'd want to be in a hospital because emergencies happen. My SIL had emergency CS for both her children. Had she been at home her babies likely would have died--it was that dire. I don't say that to scare anyone (there are plenty of perfectly safe, healthy home births, obviously), but to illustrate why I feel the need to be in a hospital setting.

Jazzbird: I'm sure it varies between countries, hospitals, doctors, patients, but I'm pretty certain you can say no to interventions as long as it doesn't endanger you or your baby (according to your dr.). In my case, I had been in labour and pushing for so long they were worried the baby would become distressed (necessitating a CS), hence the vacuum extraction. Had I been staunchly against it, they likely would have let me try a bit longer, but I was so exhausted I just wanted it to be over. But it's your body, so I think generally you get final say--within reason.

Also, I've heard really great things about hypnobirthing. My friend used it during her drug-free home birth and said that while she doesn't think it lessened the pain, it helped her remain calm and focused.

Old May 15th, 2014, 15:30 PM   36
melly2
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

I'm afraid that I'm definitely miscarrying. I have horrible cramps and more bleeding. I just think this one is not viable.

Old May 15th, 2014, 15:34 PM   37
gingmg
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member

Melly- OH NO!!! I hope you are wrong. Huge to you. I am so sorry. But you just saw the heartbeat, usually miscarriages happen much later after the baby has passed. I really don't know anything about anything, but I really hope you are wrong. Maybe the bleeding is like before? How bad are the cramps?

Old May 15th, 2014, 16:03 PM   38
Jazzbird
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

Melly - I'm so so sorry. Thinking of you. Xxx

Old May 15th, 2014, 16:29 PM   39
melly2
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

I have an ultrasound early tomorrow morning to see what's going on. To add insult to injury, my in-laws are here for the weekend and literally just when they arrived is when I started bleeding! I'm trying best to put on a good face and smile through these cramps know what is happening. We were planning to tell them, but of course, we're definitely not now.

Old May 15th, 2014, 16:47 PM   40
tryfor2
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

That's terrible Melly2. I'm very sorry. It's not fair.