LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 13:41 PM   1
stellababy
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

cell free dna- vanishing twin

I found out that I had a "vanishing twin" at my 8 week US. The other baby was measuring well. i am 34 now but will be 35 before my due date so they referred me to the cell free DNA test.

however, the genetic counselor told me some of the twins dna could get into the test results, possibly giving a false positive. i ended up not taking the test.

anyone been in my situation? should i take the test anyways in a few weeks? i would hate to have a false positive and then have to get an amnio...

Old Jan 5th, 2017, 08:11 AM   2
DeuceMom
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

[QUOTE=stellababy;38047383] the genetic counselor told me some of the twins dna could get into the test results QUOTE]

I had twins this past Oct. I refused all the testing for that very reason. I would not have gotten an amnio even if the test was positive (as they would have had to do 2 of them, one for each twin, increasing the chances of losing one or both of them), but that would have added stress to the rest of my pregnancy, the wondering if there was something wrong. I'm a few years younger though (lower 30s). So I guess you must weigh your feelings on the matter and decide if you wouldn't get an amnio regardless of the result. Then I would recommend passing on the testing. If the vanishing twin makes you feel it's needed and that you would have an amnio, then get the testing. Of course, the results could always turn out negative, but I'm looking at the worst case scenario of a positive result.

Old Jan 9th, 2017, 19:40 PM   3
JT2013
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

A friend of mine had a vanishing twin after IVF - they did the cell free test slightly later than they otherwise would have and it was accurate for both genetic issues and gender, although of course it's possible that both twins were normal and the same gender. I'd say unless there are some specific markers at your 12 week ultrasound it's probably not worth doing if you'd be wondering about the accuracy of the result.

Old Jan 9th, 2017, 21:45 PM   4
stellababy
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT2013 View Post
A friend of mine had a vanishing twin after IVF - they did the cell free test slightly later than they otherwise would have and it was accurate for both genetic issues and gender, although of course it's possible that both twins were normal and the same gender. I'd say unless there are some specific markers at your 12 week ultrasound it's probably not worth doing if you'd be wondering about the accuracy of the result.
thank you! do you know how far along she was when she had it done?

Old Jan 10th, 2017, 01:07 AM   5
JT2013
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellababy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT2013 View Post
thank you! do you know how far along she was when she had it done?
She was 14+something weeks. Here they usually do the test at 11-12weeks so they left it a couple of extra weeks. The twin was present at 6 weeks and had vanished by a repeat scan at 8weeks.

Old Jan 27th, 2017, 13:35 PM   6
blessedmomma
Mum (Mom)
BnB Elite

I think I heard one of the tests differentiates between vanishing twin or something like that. I want to say it's panorama, but don't quote me on that.

SEO by vBSEO