I had the NT scan and did the First trimester screening bloods with that. I got a 1/4500+ ratio for a baby with a chromosome abnormality (Tri 13 and/or 18). I got a 1/456 chance of having a baby with Down Syndrome. The cut off for failing the test is 1/300 so although my results were considered low risk I was offered the Modified Sequential Screening for the second trimester. I turned it down. I figure if there is anything I need to focus on I will see that at my Level 2 20 week scan and will make choices accordingly but won't do the amino regardless.
We chose not to do invasive testing as the bloods/NT and 16wk (and later 20wk and 24wk) showed everything okay/no anomalies to worry about. My risk was 1/27 for Downs and the bloods/NT took it to 1/162 and after the 20wk to 1/300 and for others 1/40 to 1/955. Incidentially, I am 44 (43 when conceived) and I always thought we would do the cvs/amnio, but I was worried about mc'ing a healthy baby and so far, he seems perfect.
I was sure from the very beginning that i would get an amnio no matter whether I was high or low risk. Saw the baby at the 12 week scan and my thoughts changed. I then decided I would only have it done if I was high risk (in UK thats anything under 1:150). Results for downs came back as 1:8796 so there was no way that I could justify to myself getting the amnio done. Im happy with my decision but Im also happy that I got the combined screening. x
I got the NT/blood screening too. For us it was a very easy decision with zero downside. We wanted to avail ourselves of all the non-invasive/risk-free testing we could because knowledge is power. We came back low risk for DS (1:1,150) and very low risk for neural tube defects (1:50,000) so we elected against invasive testing. However, if we had been moderate to high risk we definitely would have gotten the amnio because we felt we needed to know so we could make decisions about the pregnancy. We would not have continued the pregnancy had either condition been confirmed.
However, my midwife told me that the only point in taking the testing is to guide decision-making around the pregnancy. If a diagnosis of either disorder wouldn't have changed our decision-making, she advises not to test. If anything, my midwife was kind of against testing although she respected my choice.
I have seen a lot of people, including friends who declined testing, get pressured the other way by heath providers. Not cool - definitely stand up for what you and the baby's dad feel is right!
Any opinions, advice, statements or other information expressed or made available on BabyandBump.Momtastic.com by users or third parties, including but not limited to bloggers, are solely those of the respective user or other third party. They do not reflect the opinions of BabyandBump.Momtastic.com and they have not been reviewed by a physician, psychologist or parenting expert or any member of the BabyandBump.Momtastic.com staff for accuracy, balance or objectivity. Content and other information presented on BabyandBump.Momtastic.com are not a substitute for professional medical or mental health advice, counseling, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical or mental health advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on BabyandBump.Momtastic.com. BabyandBump.Momtastic.com does not endorse any opinion, advice, statement, product, service or treatment made available on the website. If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or emergency services immediately.