Forum Rules

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 02:06 AM   1
workingnurse
Pregnant (Expecting)
New BnB Member

Mixed emotions at 35yrs old

Hi, this is my first time to post a blog. But I had to talk to someone since only my husband and I are the only ones that no Im expecting. I am only 4 weeks prego and I am so confused right now...

We werent really trying but not really preventing either. I have a 10 yr old and a 15 year old.. So basically havent taken care of a newborn in awhile so to speak.

So now that its happening I am so nervous and with mixed emotions of joy and being afraid of the unexpected. My husband feels the same therefore it seems even harder. He usually is my rock. I think because we know how much things are going to change and sometimes change is difficult even when the prize is a great one!

Also my 10 year old has special needs and we will be doing CVS to test for any genetic disorders and that itself brings on a whole other level of stress! But we know that God does not make any mistakes and he will get us through this.

Glad to have somewhere to share my thoughts!

Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 02:36 AM   2
DeeM73
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

I know how you feel!I'm pregnant again at 38 and we have a 13 and 12 year old so it's like starting all over!I worry about change also but I'm sure things will just fall into place I have 2 little helpers that can't wait for their little brother or sister!I'm really looking forward to it but so nervous at the same time!xx

Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 07:23 AM   3
Dorian
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

Welcome, and congrats!! I know exactly what you mean too. We weren't trying/weren't preventing. I had a mc 5 yrs ago, and after a year or so after wards just figured that was it, no more babies. Here I am, 41 yrs old and starting over.

My children are 17, 13 and 7, so I am starting over pretty much too. Although I'm happy to say my 7yrold still likes to sit with me and snuggle

God will walk you thru it, let Him be your rock.

Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 08:10 AM   4
workingnurse
Pregnant (Expecting)
New BnB Member

Thanks for your encouraging words. I really need them right now. Everything will work out for the good. Keep me posted!

Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 09:41 AM   5
mtnprotracy
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

Welcome . I'm Tracy. My husband and I are expecting our 4th child at the end of April. Our boys are 16, 15, and 12---and each of them is about to have a birthday! My situation is very similar. We were sort of sailing along---certainly not trying, but really not thinking we would get pregnant. Our 12 year old is also severely autistic. Once the initial shock wore off, we've allowed ourselves to be excited. Of course, because of our special needs child, I am a nervous wreck at every appointment, every scan. I felt much better after meeting with the genetic counselor.

Again, congratulations. This is a fabulous board with extremely supportive members. I look forward to hearing about your progress .

Tracy

Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 09:50 AM   6
Maple Leaf

Hello, there are a few of us ladies in similar situations. My DD will be 13 and my DS 10 when this baby is born. Not only did we not expect anymore children but we also moved 1000s of miles from the UK to Canada 4 years ago so have no family support except my DH and children.

It certainly took us some time to get used to the idea. Being pregnant in your 20s for me was carefree, I never even considered the consequences of having a baby at that age, however before even having my first scan this time around I was convinced there would be something wrong. My results have been fantastic, as have many of us lovely older ladies. As I am getting kicked in the ribs and constant Braxton hicks right now, I wouldnt have it any other way.! Lol

This is a great forum, and we can share the worries,highs an lows together, so welcome aboard. X

Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 10:30 AM   7
Torontogal
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

Congrats and welcome! I am a first timer so it is totally new to my husband and I - I have no advice to give. But I did want to say welcome and hi! There are a lot of pluses to being over 35 and pregnant.

Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 11:37 AM   8
DeeM73
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

It certainly is a great forum everyone is so friendly and helpful,always nice to come on here and have a little blether with lovely ladies xx

Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 13:05 PM   9
zennie
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

Congratulations. Wishing you the very best of luck.

I'm 38 and due my 3rd in may. There will be a 10 year gap from our last. Like starting all over again . We're delighted and cant wait. I know it will mean big changes for our family. Peoples reactions can be cruel & rude though, many saying "are you mad going back to all that again" and " wow, what an age gap"!! Have learned to just smile at them and say that we're delighted and thats all that counts.
It'll just take a bit of getting used to, the idea of a newborn in the house again. I'm sure you & your hubby will be a great support to each other.
Please god everything works out just fine for ye.

Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 13:12 PM   10
disneyleanne
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

Congratulations on your lovely news!

I think the feelings you have are perfectly normal. I am nearly 35 and we were trying to conceive for 6 months. However when we found out I was expecting I felt panicked and wondered if we had done the right thing. We have two boys who are 11 and 9 so it felt like we were starting over.

Best thing you can do is keep the communication open with your husband. Share how you are both feeling. Sometimes your feelings may make you feel guilty or ungrateful to be expecting a baby but don't be hard on yourself. It took me 4-5 weeks to get my head around it and now everything feels right and I cannot wait!