Forum Rules

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 27th, 2012, 20:17 PM   11
ThunderCat
On a break (TTC)
Active BnB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy09 View Post
When is the MaterniTY21 test going to be offered in the UK? That tests for DS with just a blood test. Much less risky
The MaterniT21 test is not just less risky, it's completely risk free. I just had it done and I'm SO happy I did! I am a high risk pregnancy AND I've had a child with Trisomy 18 before who had ZERO soft markers in the scans and serum tests, so I was a real rock in a hard place when it came to this amnio. The MaterniT21 was the answers to my prayers and only JUST became available in NY a few weeks ago!

I hope it becomes available in the UK for you guys soon. It's only available in the US now, I believe.

Old Jul 5th, 2012, 08:08 AM   12
ellyn
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

Hi all,
I haven't posted on here in a long time. But am now in my 2nd trimester at 14 wks. I'm 43 and used donor sperm.

I had good results with my NT scan and bloodwork, 1:780 risk for Trisomy's. I'm going to get an amnio still. Have an appt with my OB next week and I'll request it. I have a feeling she might not agree with me bc at my initial appt with her I asked about it and she said if my scan results had less chance of abnormalities and an amnio had more chance of mc why risk it?

I hope I don't have to argue with her, but no matter what, I want an amnio. I know these scans are not diagnostic and its possible they missed something. When I asked her about the accuracy rates, she said it was 95%, which is not what I've read at all. Much lower.

I live in Canada now, and unfortunately the MaterniT21 test isn't available here yet. I would go to the U.S. but I don't have the extra $2,000 it would cost me.

Old Jul 8th, 2012, 18:13 PM   13
flashy09
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abitheblue View Post
Hi ladies,
My first post in here (have been in the 1st tri for a few weeks). I am 36 with my first and about 10-11 weeks.

Had my first midwife appointment today and the only thing I think I am worried about is the risk of downs as I am over 35. I ask the midwife and she said really just said the same thing that I have read on here and on the Internet.

So I though I would ask the question... Have you all had the tests done? If so (and you don't mind saying) where you low or high risk? And if high risk did you then have an amino.

It has taken us a few years to get pregnant and so i am driving myself nuts that knowing my luck something will be wrong (hope that does not sound bad or horrible), so just want to see/hear the real life experience.

Is the MaterniTY 21 test offered in England? It's a blood test that will test for Down Syndrome and is very accurate. It came out last year in America and almost everyone I know has done it

Thanks absxxxxx

Is the MaterniTY 21 test offered in England? It's a blood test that will test for Down Syndrome and is very accurate. It came out last year in America and almost everyone I know has done it

Old Jul 8th, 2012, 20:33 PM   14
Larkspur
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict

I'm 36 and after the 12-week scan and bloods was low-risk (1:6500 for Downs and 1:100,000 for other trisomy) so no amnio for me. A friend who is 43 had an amnio after she came back 1:19 and got the all-clear after that.

I know it's easy to worry about the raw risks reported about age, but it's worth keeping in mind that the standard 1:250 risk factor still really means that there is a better-than-99.5 percent chance that your baby is not going to have any trisomy condition, and even a 1:20 risk means that 95 percent of babies with the same risk will not have any conditions.

I would not even bother considering something as invasive as an amnio unless you came back with an extremely high risk after a quad scan and felt you had to know for your own peace of mind or decision-making.

Old Jul 8th, 2012, 23:37 PM   15
Jeninpa
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

I wasn't asked about one yet but I would decline. I would love the baby anyway so to me it just doesn't matter.

Old Jul 9th, 2012, 13:25 PM   16
Marie131
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

I've declined it and I do have markers for T21. My baby is IUGR, we had a level 3 u/s done where we found 2 markers. I then did the quad (blood) screen and it came back as 1:15 for T21 but negative for T18. We are ok with having a DS baby and the peri said that finding out one way or the other wouldn't change the way my pregnancy/delivery is handled so I don't feel it is worth the risk for me right now. I may have it done later to check for lung maturity as I am most likely going to be having this baby early.

Old Jul 10th, 2012, 11:41 AM   17
canadadiva
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

I had an amnio. I was considered low risk but for my own personal reasons, and after gathering enough information to make an informed decision, I feel it was the right decision for me. I had it done at a center where only certain doctors are allowed to perform the procedure, which made me more comfortable, and I was able to go to an info session the week before which answered alot of my questions. The procedure itself was easy, quite painless. The anxiety before hand was way worse.

Old Jul 10th, 2012, 15:40 PM   18
chattyB
Pregnant (Expecting)
Chat Happy BnB Member

I have an amnio scheduled for 2 weeks time after my NT scan and bloods gave me a 1:11 chance of a baby with DS. I'd gone for a CVS but placenta location (posterior wall) prevented it. The wait and worry continue ....

Old Jul 18th, 2012, 12:22 PM   19
r3dangel
Pregnant (Expecting)
New BnB member

i hear you...in a very similar position. Getting married in 5 weeks and amnio results will be out the week before wedding! Don't know how I'm going to keep sane till then. Blood tests indicate high risk, 1 in 2 for DS.

Old Jul 18th, 2012, 14:06 PM   20
ellyn
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

I just had my amnio on Monday. Got the FISH results back today and all is normal! Thank god.

The amnio itself was no fun. I read tons online and most people said it wasn't bad, felt like getting blood drawn....not to me it didn't! It really hurt, but luckily its over in a few minutes.

Going into the amnio the risks are higher, generally 1:200 chance of mc. But in my region, they said the risks are lower, more like 1:600 because they do so many. After the Dr did the amnio, he said all went very well, and now my risk was about 1:1000 for mc, and if anything were to happen it would be within 48 hrs.

I rested yesterday all day and today and felt fine afterward. Had cramping for about an hour, but not severe.

I'm just glad its over and all was good. I still have to wait for the rest of the amnio results though, but the FISH tests for the 5 main chromosomes, and from what i understand, others that are picked up by the amnio are more rare and would've already caused mc by now. I just hope all stays normal.

For now I'm relieved and have started sharing my news with more family and friends. That's a huge relief!