Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 8th, 2013, 13:04 PM   21
Emma867
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: West Midlands, UK
Posts: 896
I've got a couple of bumpers as part of matching sets and will be using them up until baby is moving. If our baby can manage the back stroke from the feet to foot position at the bottom of a cot bed up to the top where the bumper is, we will enter him into the Olympics!



Status: Offline
 
Old May 8th, 2013, 16:25 PM   22
exoticsiren
Pregnant (Expecting)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: hawaii
Posts: 2,082
If secure their fine..ill be using one.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 8th, 2013, 16:36 PM   23
bekkie
Pregnant (Expecting)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 4,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
There are some beautiful bumpers but I'm worried about their safety so I'm going to buy a breathable cot liner. They all tend to be in white but I've found this jungle one on Amazon:
xx
I saw this one a few weeks ago online and fell in love!! We only had the plain white one with DS, and now they have them in pink too - so it can be cute and safe!



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 8th, 2013, 16:52 PM   24
_Lexi_
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 3,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoticsiren View Post
If secure their fine..ill be using one.
This is wrong. It's not just about how secure they are.

"Researchers found reports from medical examiners and coroners of 27 accidental deaths of children ages 1 month to 2 years, that were attributed to suffocation when they became wedged against a padded bumper or strangulation by a bumper tie around the neck. Eleven of the infants who died most likely suffocated when their face rested against the bumper pad, 13 infants died when they became wedged between the bumper pad and another object, like the crib mattress, and three infants died when they were strangled by a bumper tie."

So strangulation by it not being secure isn't the main risk. Rebreathing of carbon dioxide is also another huge concern. Having bumpers restricts the airflow through the crib, which allows carbon dioxide to build up, which can also cause death/increase SIDS.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 8th, 2013, 17:07 PM   25
surprisedmama
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Lexi_ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoticsiren View Post
If secure their fine..ill be using one.
This is wrong. It's not just about how secure they are.

"Researchers found reports from medical examiners and coroners of 27 accidental deaths of children ages 1 month to 2 years, that were attributed to suffocation when they became wedged against a padded bumper or strangulation by a bumper tie around the neck. Eleven of the infants who died most likely suffocated when their face rested against the bumper pad, 13 infants died when they became wedged between the bumper pad and another object, like the crib mattress, and three infants died when they were strangled by a bumper tie."

So strangulation by it not being secure isn't the main risk. Rebreathing of carbon dioxide is also another huge concern. Having bumpers restricts the airflow through the crib, which allows carbon dioxide to build up, which can also cause death/increase SIDS.
I wouldn't waste my breath. Some people would rather stick their heads in the sand than look at the facts.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 8th, 2013, 17:16 PM   26
bekkie
Pregnant (Expecting)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 4,469
So if a large crib with bumpers can cause a risk of SIDS due to the restricted airflow, do bassinets pose the same risk? We were debating getting one to put next to the bed as I haven't found any local co-sleepers that attach to the side of the bed... but they are smaller, so the airflow would be even less I would think?

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index....uctId=16122416 is the one I'm looking at



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 8th, 2013, 17:45 PM   27
_Lexi_
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 3,901
Because bassinets/moses baskets are smaller, they don't pose the same risks. The sides are a lot lower/shallower so baby is closer to the airflow. Also, the lining on them is usually a thin material, not padded like a bumper, and the age a baby is when in one, they can't roll to the sides/wedge themselves against it x



 
Status: Offline
 
Old May 8th, 2013, 17:48 PM   28
ILoveCakee
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South West, UK
Posts: 436
I'll be using nothing, many Doctor's and professionals informed us in the past that bumpers are not allowed to be used until a baby is 1 year old due to risk of suffocation - so that's my reason for not using anything



Status: Offline
 
Old May 8th, 2013, 19:32 PM   29
krysb
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekkie View Post
So if a large crib with bumpers can cause a risk of SIDS due to the restricted airflow, do bassinets pose the same risk? We were debating getting one to put next to the bed as I haven't found any local co-sleepers that attach to the side of the bed... but they are smaller, so the airflow would be even less I would think?

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index....uctId=16122416 is the one I'm looking at
Bassinets and the like are also not regulated as strictly, at least here in the US.



Status: Offline
 
Old May 8th, 2013, 20:52 PM   30
leiapaulsen
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
There are some beautiful bumpers but I'm worried about their safety so I'm going to buy a breathable cot liner. They all tend to be in white but I've found this jungle one on Amazon:
xx
This is the same one I used with my son. I liked it because it was breathable so if baby got near it there was no risk of rebreathing... And also its Velcro on the outside in 2 spots no ties. I am a 911 dispatcher and ill tell u I was so scared about SIDS and all that even more so with my 3rd just due to having had to take some heartbreaking calls of parents who have lost their babies... Sad thing is that 99% of them could have been completely prevented with education on the risk of the padded bumpers and not putting baby to bed with stuffed animals, on a pillow, propping a bottle etc. once my boy got old enough that he was moving around a lot rolling over and such, I took it off to be safe. He is almost 2 now and he sleeps in a bare crib with a blanket and that's it.



 
Status: Offline
 
Reply



Bookmarks

Tags
airwrap , bumper

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



SEO by vBSEO