Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 19th, 2017, 16:22 PM   1
misspriss
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Arkansas, US
Posts: 9,368

Stayed team yellow at the scan, but it got ruined


Ugh. I'm so upset right now. Like irrational pregnant upset.

Stayed team yellow at the scan, the tech was awesome about it, it was great.

Got a message today they added new stuff to my online health record, and there was my ultrasound report. I looked at it, I didn't think they'd put the gender in as it's not medically necessary. I was careful though I looked for all the headers before I read the info, like "Placenta location:, heart chambers:" etc - none for gender. I am skimming through and I see the tech added a note at the bottom that read "Confidential!!! _____(gender)" Just a note- it wasn't required on the report. I know it's just an unfortunately mishap, but still. I was so looking forward to the birth and getting to find out the gender then.

I'm disappointed and in a foul mood.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 19th, 2017, 16:28 PM   2
Berri
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 931
Oh that sucks. Totally understand your irritation.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 19th, 2017, 16:32 PM   3
misspriss
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Arkansas, US
Posts: 9,368
It's not like you can get that experience back. This is probably our last pregnancy, so it would be the last chance I'd get.

The good news is that my MIL is wrong At least that brings me a bit of joy...



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 19th, 2017, 16:57 PM   4
tcinks
Pregnant (Expecting)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,758
Oh no! I'd be so upset too. I also get my reports online and have been nervous to look through them for this reason! Definitely going to stay away for sure now.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 19th, 2017, 17:00 PM   5
misspriss
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Arkansas, US
Posts: 9,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcinks View Post
Oh no! I'd be so upset too. I also get my reports online and have been nervous to look through them for this reason! Definitely going to stay away for sure now.
I assumed it would be all medically necessary stuff in the report, I didn't assume they'd notate the gender in a report that they know is made available to the patient. It wasn't a space specifically requested in the form (like you have fill in certain things), it was just put into the notes. Maybe that is normal for techs? I'm not sure. I'm disappointed.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 19th, 2017, 19:23 PM   6
DobbyForever
Pregnant (Expecting)
BnB Elite
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SF Bay, California
Posts: 10,240
Were you not EMUsed? Was it super HAWKward? Did it leave a CHIRP off your shoulder? Did it ruffle your feathers? Ok I'm sorry. I had to. Homophone mix up: foul not fowl

On to my actual response, I am so sorry. I asked to know sex asap, and I did notice that gender confirmation was the first thing on the ultrasound report. It is standard for it to be included as it is pertinent medical/anatomy information BUT the fact the released it to you without redacting it is unfortunate. I only got my reports when requested. Did you request yours? The tech was very adamant it was for doctor's eyes only and my SO and I lit her up. And then I b*ed to my gyn and she printed it for me. I could see a miscommunication when requesting records. Too many hands on it. Or they might assume you wouldn't look and just discuss results with your doctor. Idk. =\. The note probably was to let techs know the gender but keep it a secret to you, and all the notes have to be made available.

But I'm so sorry. I'd be pissed as well. are you going to tell people now or still let everyone else be surprised?



 
Status: Online
 
Old Apr 19th, 2017, 19:34 PM   7
misspriss
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Arkansas, US
Posts: 9,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by DobbyForever View Post
Were you not EMUsed? Was it super HAWKward? Did it leave a CHIRP off your shoulder? Did it ruffle your feathers? Ok I'm sorry. I had to. Homophone mix up: foul not fowl

On to my actual response, I am so sorry. I asked to know sex asap, and I did notice that gender confirmation was the first thing on the ultrasound report. It is standard for it to be included as it is pertinent medical/anatomy information BUT the fact the released it to you without redacting it is unfortunate. I only got my reports when requested. Did you request yours? The tech was very adamant it was for doctor's eyes only and my SO and I lit her up. And then I b*ed to my gyn and she printed it for me. I could see a miscommunication when requesting records. Too many hands on it. Or they might assume you wouldn't look and just discuss results with your doctor. Idk. =\

But I'm so sorry. I'd be pissed as well. are you going to tell people now or still let everyone else be surprised?
Thank you for pointing that out. I'm sure a lot of people like to be publicly called out on their grammatical errors, especially when they are admittedly upset already.

It was the last thing on my report, under the "notes:" section, not a specific section for gender. It is not medically necessary to note the gender, it is necessary to note that the anatomy is "normal". That is word used for everything else in the report, either "normal" or a numerical entry denoting size. The notes can say that the genetic anatomy is "normal" without stating which gender it is. I'm sure I'm not the first person to stay team yellow, surely the doctor could come up with some kind of covert way for the staff to get it in the report without it being blatantly obvious, like writing "confidential!!" then LEAVING SOME BLANK RETURN SPACE SO YOU KNOW IT'S COMING.

I did not request records, due to the Affordable Care Act, health records should be stored electronically and a record be made available for the patient. I log on to an electronic patient portal to fill out my forms, update my information, etc - I can view summaries of all of my appointments after the doctor has reviewed them. I got a message that the doctor had reviewed my last visit and it was available on the portal. There were links in the message to my ultrasound report, my notes, and my lab report. They note my weight, BP, the bacteria culture from my UTI, etc - all of the information is mine and is available to me. I think it is required by law in the US, so you should be able to access it as well. Perhaps ask the administrative staff at your OB office about a patient portal?



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 19th, 2017, 19:48 PM   8
DobbyForever
Pregnant (Expecting)
BnB Elite
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SF Bay, California
Posts: 10,240
It was a joke to lighten to mood and cheer you up with some puns. I love puns, so I just hoped it would make you smile.

Different hospitals have different policies as to what goes into the report and how it is arranged. Some information is considered too personal/confidential for online posting and I can only get those records via phone, face to face appointment, or formally requesting them (free of charge) from the facility. And ugh do not get me started on the ACA lol

But still I want to say again how sorry I am. . Especially with it being something they can't undo/take back.



 
Status: Online
 
Old Apr 19th, 2017, 19:55 PM   9
misspriss
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Arkansas, US
Posts: 9,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by DobbyForever View Post
It was a joke to lighten to mood and cheer you up with some puns. I love puns, so I just hoped it would make you smile.

Different hospitals have different policies as to what goes into the report and how it is arranged. Some information is considered too personal/confidential for online posting and I can only get those records via phone, face to face appointment, or formally requesting them (free of charge) from the facility. And ugh do not get me started on the ACA lol

But still I want to say again how sorry I am. . Especially with it being something they can't undo/take back.
It is okay, I am just having a horrible night already and I have my glucose test in the morning. And my daughter's childcare fell through. And I have to pick up my car from service tomorrow and switch out the carseats from the loaner....

I have never had any hospitals say that. They use a purpose built, secure medical records service, it is not just emailed, the email just says you have records. I giess everywhere is different.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 19th, 2017, 19:59 PM   10
tcinks
Pregnant (Expecting)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by misspriss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DobbyForever View Post
It was a joke to lighten to mood and cheer you up with some puns. I love puns, so I just hoped it would make you smile.

Different hospitals have different policies as to what goes into the report and how it is arranged. Some information is considered too personal/confidential for online posting and I can only get those records via phone, face to face appointment, or formally requesting them (free of charge) from the facility. And ugh do not get me started on the ACA lol

But still I want to say again how sorry I am. . Especially with it being something they can't undo/take back.
It is okay, I am just having a horrible night already and I have my glucose test in the morning. And my daughter's childcare fell through. And I have to pick up my car from service tomorrow and switch out the carseats from the loaner....

I have never had any hospitals say that. They use a purpose built, secure medical records service, it is not just emailed, the email just says you have records. I giess everywhere is different.
This is how most of the hospitals around here are, too. All test results and medical records are just available in an online patient portal. It's nice to not have to wait for a call from the doctor's office to get results from something!

I hope your week gets better.



 
Status: Offline
 
Reply



Bookmarks

Tags
ruined , scan , stayed , team , yellow

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



SEO by vBSEO