I had the blood screen for DS once at 10 weeks and the 2nd at 18 weeks. My doctor called me today and told me I am high risk. She said because of my age I was already 1:600 (I am only 30) and after the test I am 1:190 and 270 or lower is considered high risk. I told her I just had a scan about a week ago, and the tech said the baby looked fine. She said she had a look at the scan and it did look fine, but she wants to send me to a specialist and have a detailed scan done. If that scan shows anything she wants me to have an amnio done.
Has anyone else been told they are high risk? I am scared, sad, and confused all at the same time right now and wish I had never had the test done. Either way doesn't change the fact that I love this baby and want him.
Easy for me to say but try not to worry too much (i still havent had the results of mine yet) 1 in 190 is still pretty slim hun.
Its up to you to decide if you are going to go ahead with the amnio dont let anyone push you into anything, keep thinking positve babe
again easy for me to say hun, but try not to worry too much 1:190 may be 'high risk' in their eyes but its 0.52% which is not even 1% don't worry until you know for sure hun you dont want to cause yourself any more stress. xx
I know EXACTLY how you feel. I didn't want the triple blood test but my husband wanted me to so at the hospital i relented and signed the form. Then during my scan the sonographer called someone else in to check my measurements because they were high so i got a bit worried and then thought how bad can it be? i'm 27, don't drink, smoke, have a bmi and am perfectly healthy. So a couple of weeks ago i get a message on my midwife for me to call back so i do am told i also am a high risk 1:130. I was so so upset and also been offered an amnio. I have an appointment at the hospital next thursyda morning. They said that they will scan me again and talk everything through with me and then they will do am amnio if i decide its what i want. Hubby and I have gone round and round trying to decide and have now decided on not deciding anything until we get there and talk to the doctors thoroughly. If you need to talk i'm here just PM me because even if the risk is still relatively low its not a nice thing to be told and everyone saying that they know someone who was fine doesn't make it any easier if you know what i mean. Am thinking of you xx
Awhh, I think you will be fine hun. Im praying for you. My DH and I elected not to have any testing for this same reason. We will love the baby whether it has special needs or not. God doesnt give you more than you can handle.
I am 1 in 15 and decided against the amnio (I lost my last son to pprom where the waters go early so can't risk an amnio for that reason - plus it would not change my decision but I know some people feel they have to know for sure either way).
The 1 in sounds scarey but with me its like 93% everything will be fine - that sounds much better odds. I think your odds sound great to me! and I think I would be relieved if I was 1 in 100000000 but it still means you could be that one!
The detailed scan will look for problems in the heart and other markers for downs, but on my scan report it says something like ' patient aware that 50% of the cases of downs will not be picked up on the scan' - but he said for us that he sees not heart problems that was a positive (although again not conclusive).
I think you have to decide what YOU want to do - its not good anyone else advising or pressuring you (i felt my hospital were all geared to push you for the amnio and didnt really know what to say when I told them no repeatedly!)
I felt much happier in my decision not to test after looking at the down syndrome web site and speaking to some mummies on here who have had a child with downs. I used to think about it all the time when I first got the result but I only think about it when I see posts like this.
I know what its like to be told your high risk, its devestating as none of us really expect to be told that - but I hope you have good support to help you make the right decisions for you.
So sorry you're going through this stress, tiffanie, vitriolic and secret. I agree - all your risks, while classified as elevated - are actually quite low. If you happen to be the 1 in 190 (99.47% chance than you won't be), then you'll still be fine. Children with downs are happy, loving family members.
Whether or not you have an amnio is such a personal decision - I can't imagine what I'd do. No matter what you decide, sending you all hugs.
Thank you for all the support and responses. I called my hubby right after I spoke to the doctor...in tears of course. He called the doctor because he wanted more info. She told him that they get more false positives then negatives and not to worry. She said she has had women with a 1:4 risk give birth to perfectly healthy babies. I will get the scan and see what it shows. I am not going to get an amnio, not only because the risks scare me, but because either way I will still love this LO.
Any opinions, advice, statements or other information expressed or made available on BabyandBump.Momtastic.com by users or third parties, including but not limited to bloggers, are solely those of the respective user or other third party. They do not reflect the opinions of BabyandBump.Momtastic.com and they have not been reviewed by a physician, psychologist or parenting expert or any member of the BabyandBump.Momtastic.com staff for accuracy, balance or objectivity. Content and other information presented on BabyandBump.Momtastic.com are not a substitute for professional medical or mental health advice, counseling, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical or mental health advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on BabyandBump.Momtastic.com. BabyandBump.Momtastic.com does not endorse any opinion, advice, statement, product, service or treatment made available on the website. If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or emergency services immediately.