Hi all you lovely ladies I'll be officially in the trimester soon (god willing) but in the meantime I'm wondering if any of you have been in my shoes? At my 12 week scan the baby had increase nuchal fluid and was diagnosed with a cystic hygroma (5.7mm). I had the CVS testing done and all chromosomes are normal (after the doctors gave me a 50-60% chance of chromosomal abnormality!) so luckily we've hopped the first hurdle.
I know all I can do is play the waiting game but in the meantime I've been looking for people that can relate...anyone out there have increase nuchal translucency and still doing well with their pregnancy?
Next scan is 9/28 to see how things are progressing (hopefully shrinking).
Hi, I can relate to the angst. At the twelve week scan we were told that our baby had a high NT measurement of 3.4mm, but all of our blood work was fine. They advised against am amnio, but wrote something very worrying in the report that we read afterwards, saying that they had explained to the mother that the higher measurement can also be indicative of other chromosomal abnormalities or heart problems.
I am now 19 weeks pregnant and have spent the last 7 weeks stressing about it. I have looked at lots of things on the Internet, people saying that there have been many 'false positives' from the NT measurement and have gone in to have perfectly healthy babies, but it's hard not to worry, isn't it?
We had a scan at 16 weeks and the baby looked perfect from what they could see, femur measurement was normal, which is another soft marker for Downs Syndrome.
On Friday I am going back for the 20 week anomaly scan and a fetal echocardiogram to check our baby's heart in detail. After that I hope that we will finally be able to relax and enjoy our pregnancy.
I don't know about you, but I wish I had never had the NT measurement done. It has caused us nothing but worry and we won't know anything until the 20 week scan anyway!
How far along are you? Wishing you and your little one all the best. Glad you had the CVS done and that it all came back clear, it must allay your fears somewhat.
I have had no other problems with this pregnancy, touch wood, other than feeling yuck!
I had a cvs test done and all came back clear we had a measurement of 3.7mm fluid at the back of the neck we had a scan at 16weeks and they said baby looks fine got the heart scan at 20weeks at queen elizabeth fetal development unit and then get scans at 28 and 34 weeks at out normal hospital. So far so good if you wanna talk pm me xx
Sorry for your worries atm.. I had slight increased fluid at my 12 week scan. The hospital were worried as it was 2.7mm however the feotal medicine unit thought it was minimal altho it is higher than what I have seen most people have. I had an amino done which also came back normal.. turns out it was my bloodwork that made me very high risk not the nuchal. Did you have bloods done?
Babys lymphatic system isn't working properly until 14 weeks and if your cvs came back clear I would have thought that the fluid would eventually drain way over time.. You can have detailed scans and I guess they would check it again at 20weeks??
The NT measurement on my little girl was 3mm, we were told this is a bit high, had the bloods done for the testing too but the fricking hospital lost them!! So we had to wait until 16 weeks to have the quad screening done, which came back at low risk. Good luck honey FX for you! xxxxx
Thank you so much everyone! An increased NT scan is so rare that it's hard to find people who have been there on this site.
Ellie Mary--I know what you mean, I told my husband the next time around I do not want the 12 week scan. I actually went in thinking "oh, this will just be an extra peak at Bun!" and was devastated instead; the doctor was incredibly grim. As far as I can tell, Bun is still hanging in there but instead of being excited for my appointments I am now completely fearful of them. I hope everything turns out well for you
Dantes Mom--sounds like all is progressing well! I've done a ton of research and the one thing that consistently comes up is that if the NT fluid regresses into the "normal" range by 20 weeks, a good outcome can be expected!
Sarah--They drew my bloods, but since the initial doctor was sure everything was bad he didn't send the bloods in to be tested. I guess it doesn't matter since I had the CVS done anyway...I hope you're right and it's just a delayed lymphatic system developing.
JaysMum--thank you, your story is very encouraging! I know doctors have to go "worst case scenario" but I really think sometimes they shouldn't...
And I forgot who asked but I am 13 weeks 5 days (though Bun is measuring one day behind). Next scan is Wednesday (Bun should measure exactly 14 weeks).
If all goes well, I'm taking a trip back to my first sonographer's place and yelling at the doctor who initially diagnosed me with Turners after just looking at the scan. He was very wrong, and very rude to say how things were for sure bad. I asked him if things could resolve, to which he replied, "I don't want to give you false hope. Sorry." Ass!
Any opinions, advice, statements or other information expressed or made available on BabyandBump.Momtastic.com by users or third parties, including but not limited to bloggers, are solely those of the respective user or other third party. They do not reflect the opinions of BabyandBump.Momtastic.com and they have not been reviewed by a physician, psychologist or parenting expert or any member of the BabyandBump.Momtastic.com staff for accuracy, balance or objectivity. Content and other information presented on BabyandBump.Momtastic.com are not a substitute for professional medical or mental health advice, counseling, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical or mental health advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on BabyandBump.Momtastic.com. BabyandBump.Momtastic.com does not endorse any opinion, advice, statement, product, service or treatment made available on the website. If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or emergency services immediately.