I don't know what to do. My husband travels a lot for work and wants to be there for the baby to be born. I discussed it with my doctor and he said in this case we can schedule my delivery. We talked about inducing labor (at due date, not before) or having a c-section. He actually surprised me by recommending a c-section. His reason is that if they go to induce me on my due date and my cervix is still "rock hard" and not ready, I could have a two day induction and end up needing an emergency c-section anyway. I guess it makes sense. I'm just not sure which to chose. I know a c-section is major surgery because my sister had 3 of them. Please share your experience with either procedure. Thanks.
I haven't had either, but know a few friends who got induced. I think your doc is right about the induction thing, it can take forever if your body just isn't ready to be in labor yet. My friends who got induced had very long labors, and one of them was sent home because she wasn't progressing so ended up having to wait anyways.
I think its a hard decision, since obviously a c-section is going to be longer recovery if you go that way. But if it were me, I think that's what I would pick given the situation of wanting your hubby to be there, and not knowing if he will be there for a natural labor.
I'm on my 3rd pregnancy and tho I've never had a c-section, both of my previous pregnancies I was induced. With my 1st son, I was a month early, and induced because I had a pinhole sized hole in my water and it was leaking inside of me. With my 2nd son, I was induced because I was a week overdue. With my experience with my 2nd son, I was in labor for 2 days...he did NOT want to come out. They were THIS close to sending me home, because even with the medicine to induce me, I was not dilating beyond 1cm. I refused to go home though, because I had begun to bleed. I told them to call my doctor and ask him if they could break my water, which I knew would jump start my active labor. He agreed, they broke my water with a scalpel (spl), and I had my son a mere few hours later. In my experience I would rather be induced than go for a c-section...but just my opinion. I wish you all the best of luck in forming your decision.
With my first pregnancy I had GD and was induced on my due date. As soon as the process started, my labor progressed nicely and within a couple of hours I was already at 5cm with just the cervadil- no pitocin (sp?) yet. 20 hours later- and lots of the induction drugs (pitocin)- I was still only 5 cm and my baby went into distress. Off to the OR we went for an emergency c-section. In the end everything was just fine and my daughter is a happy, healthy, active two year old, but it was a scary couple of hours to go through. Given the choice with the experience I had, I would go c-section all the way- but everyone is different and a c-section is major surgery and the recovery isn't always easy- although I am told that a c-section without labor is easier to recover from than a c-section after having been in labor so there is that to consider as well. You never know. Some women are induced and go on to have a fast, easy labor, others not so much. With this pregnancy, I have already spoken to my doctor and was given the option of c-section or trying for a vbac and I have already made it clear that I am heading straight to the OR.
We asked dr about it today because we want/need to get my knee medially examined. If they can't induce, I want them to check on her cord (son was born with issues with his cord and we didn't know it so now terrified of that happening and worse).
He told us that if the cervix is favorable then they can do an induction. I then embarrassed my husband in front of the dr when I said "sex and walks everyday at 37 weeks"
Wow, what great advice. Thanks so much ladies. My dream would be to go naturally but I cant very well tell my DH he can't be there for the birth of his first son. If I got a c-section I am not looking forward to the recovery time but AM looking forward to not having to push. I think it would take away labor anxiety. Thanks again for your advice.
I've had both. I was induced at 42wks, got to push and everything but had an EMCS as his heart rate went up and they were concerned about his safety. Given the choice between induction and an elective section (different story to an emergency one where you're already exhausted) I would choose the section. However I would say a natural delivery would be preferable to either of these. Is there no way he can speak to his work and be based closer to home around your due date? And is he going to be off for long after baby is born? Or do you have lots of support handy? Recovery from a section can be difficult for some (for others they seem to heal really quickly)
My DH was so bored at work as they couldn't schedule too much work for him in case I went into labour, as it was I went 2 weeks past the EDD so he had about 3 weeks where he had very little to do!!!
I was actually told by a classmate of mine that she loved being induced. She had to be prior to being ready for labor because she had very low blood counts. She loved it apparently it was very quick, faster than her natural labors and painful, but because it was over quickly she didnt mind. I found that weird because I had heard a lot of people take longer when induced
Any opinions, advice, statements or other information expressed or made available on BabyandBump.Momtastic.com by users or third parties, including but not limited to bloggers, are solely those of the respective user or other third party. They do not reflect the opinions of BabyandBump.Momtastic.com and they have not been reviewed by a physician, psychologist or parenting expert or any member of the BabyandBump.Momtastic.com staff for accuracy, balance or objectivity. Content and other information presented on BabyandBump.Momtastic.com are not a substitute for professional medical or mental health advice, counseling, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical or mental health advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on BabyandBump.Momtastic.com. BabyandBump.Momtastic.com does not endorse any opinion, advice, statement, product, service or treatment made available on the website. If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or emergency services immediately.