Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 19:30 PM   1
Butterfly89
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,611

Castor oil as last resort instead of pitocin?


I know there are risks with castor oil and dangers of meconium... though I've heard it isn't that common. But I've still been avoiding it as being up all night in the bathroom doesn't sound great either, lol!

However! They've set my induction date as next Friday and said I *can* push it ahead a week possibly if everything seems ok. But even still, if I am getting to my induction date (whether that be at 41 or 42 weeks) then should I try castor oil?

I really don't think I'm going to go on my own! I will have hours and hours of cramps and BH and literally every labour sign, even bloody show, and then it will stop and go away! And I haven't dilated any more in the past week despite using EPO, DTD, and lots of brisk walking/squats.

I think my body needs an extra kick of some kind to get going! What do you think all? Is castor oil better than Pitocin? I know it might not even work, but should I try before going in to be induced?

And if so, how much should I take?



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 19:58 PM   2
cbass929
Pregnant (Expecting)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 3,977
I did it with DD and she was fine I went into labour that night and there was no meconium. I was in early labour for almost 2 weeks with my last lo and 2 days before having him I took 2 tbsp but it didnt help any and there was no meconium in the sack this time either.
I think the only way it really works any is you have to have started progressing on your own and you have to drink a lot. More then just a couple tablespoons. But the stuff is SO nasty I couldn't do it! Just thinking of it makes me want to !!

I'd say go for it and good luck!!



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 20:31 PM   3
Butterfly89
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,611
I'm going to wait until next wednesday after my appointment and if nothing has changed, I'm going to go for it I think! I'm hoping I'll just go anyway before then since I've been having so much pelvic pressure and constant bloody show and cramping all day though!! But it keeps tricking me so I'm not tooo hopeful lol.

Last week, I was 2cm dilated, totally soft, but still a little bit of effacement to go (he said there was still an "edge" he could feel). I keep reading with your first, you usually efface before dilating, but I guess that's not for everyone.

I found this too: http://www.babycenter.ca/x1048133/ca...ring-on-labour
And it does say to probably avoid it because of nausea, but not that its an extreme danger or anything....

Edit: The more I search, the more scary stuff I find LOL. I might end up being too nervous to do it.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 22:11 PM   4
JillMc
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: N. Ireland/Maryland USA
Posts: 405
My SIL did it with all 5 of her kids and all were born within 10 hours of drinking it and all fine. I was 2 weeks over with my DD and they were still holding of inducing me (Stupid NHS at times) and I was at my witts end. I went looking for caster oil because like you I had been having all the signs for over a month but still no baby. But my search turned up nothing. Found out afterwards when I talked to a midwife that the NHS had them take caster oil off of the shelves because of too many women taking it and a problem with "slippery babies" She told me that now the only way you can get caster oil is on script from GP. I hope you have better luck finding it in Canada



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 23:00 PM   5
cbass929
Pregnant (Expecting)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 3,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly89 View Post
I'm going to wait until next wednesday after my appointment and if nothing has changed, I'm going to go for it I think! I'm hoping I'll just go anyway before then since I've been having so much pelvic pressure and constant bloody show and cramping all day though!! But it keeps tricking me so I'm not tooo hopeful lol.

Last week, I was 2cm dilated, totally soft, but still a little bit of effacement to go (he said there was still an "edge" he could feel). I keep reading with your first, you usually efface before dilating, but I guess that's not for everyone.

I found this too: http://www.babycenter.ca/x1048133/ca...ring-on-labour
And it does say to probably avoid it because of nausea, but not that its an extreme danger or anything....

Edit: The more I search, the more scary stuff I find LOL. I might end up being too nervous to do it.
If you are already 2cm dilated and having bloody show I would go ahead and take it now tbh! There's ups and downs to everyone for everything. It's just like medication all have a warning label for alllll the things that could go wrong. My dr said it was safe to use. My cousins dr also told her to drink a small bottle full a few days before her induction.
I would also maybe take EPO and insert EPO. I think it really helped me along. The last week of my pregnancy I was taking 2000mg orally and 1000mg inserted.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 00:09 AM   6
Bumpblessing4
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 530
I guess I am going to be the only one to say the opposite. I almost tried it with my first, but then I read a story from a mother whose baby nearly died after she used castor oil to induce labor. I believe it was from "precipitous labor" (labor that is much too fast), but I don't all recall the details now. Maybe the fast labor allowed him to inhale meconium as you mentioned? I know that can lead to pneumonia and respiratory distress. Maybe they inhale the meconium because they get diarrhea in utero from the castor oil like we can get diarrhea and vomiting from it and castor oil crosses the placenta. I'm sure many mothers have used it safely before, but the risk just doesn't sound worth it to me.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 00:57 AM   7
fides
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,362
I am so sorry you are facing this decision - a very difficult one! As you know, the fact is, any time a woman agrees to any induction intervention, there are risks.

The risk of baby passing meconium has been talked about a lot on BnB with castor oil and it's still an open-ended question of whether the castor oil caused it or it was coincidental (women going past their EDD are more likely to have babies pass meconium; women who resort to castor oil are usually going to be past 41 weeks).

Dehydration is also a risk associated with castor oil, which makes total sense to me, so if you are going that route, please, please make sure to drink LOTS of water and electrolyte drinks! I had a bad stomach bug the day before I gave birth last time around which left me very dehydrated, and I think that is why my labor was so painful.

For pitocin, I just did a quick search online and found the following as risks:
- For mothers: Anaphylactic reaction, Postpartum hemorrhage, Cardiac arrhythmia, Fatal afibrinogenemia, Hypertensive episodes, Nausea, Vomiting, Premature ventricular contractions, Pelvic hematoma, Subarachnoid hemorrhage, Hypertensive episodes, Rupture of the uterus
- For babies: Bradycardia, Premature ventricular contractions and other arrhythmias, Permanent CNS or brain damage, Fetal death, Neonatal seizures have been reported, Low Apgar scores at five minutes, Neonatal jaundice, Neonatal retinal hemorrhage

So, like I said, any intervention has risks, but I applaud you for trying to weigh your risks and options responsibly.

I'm like you - loads and loads of prelabor signs that have gone nowhere. I am terrified of hitting the 42 week mark this coming week b/c I'll be facing the same decision you are. Let's hope our little ones come on their own, like ASAP!!



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 04:46 AM   8
patch2006uk
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Mids, UK
Posts: 6,087
*I've removed my post based on what's happened today. Hope you understand. All I'm going to say is please don't take risks with your babies by trying to intervene with home remedies. I don't regret any decisions we made. I can't imagine how I would feel if there was any chance I caused this heartbreak myself*



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 05:51 AM   9
Jemmacalland
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Runcorn, cheshire
Posts: 118
My sister was in the same boat as you but couldn't find it anywhere apart from online, with my first I got some, tried a tiny tiny bit but couldn't do it, when I did start labour days after she had passed a movement inside me if I had taken the oil I would of blamed that x



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 11:50 AM   10
jen_rios
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: texas
Posts: 240
ill just share my experience.
with my first, i induced with caster oil. i took 2 tbsp and was in labor 13 hrs, then he was here.
with this one i planned to induce at 37 wks bcuz the father is in the army and had to have a specific time. my dr gave me the ok. well i was about 36 and a few days and went to the hospital cuz i thought i was leaking fluid, and found out that i wasnt, but i was 2cm dilated. so i figured i'd go ahead and do it. i took a whole 6 oz bottle within 3 days and NOTHING! im only at a 3 now and still pregnant. ive walked, dtd, everything! i told the dr i took it and he thinks everything is fine, it just didnt work. so due to certain issues, i am having a c-sect on the 18th instead of inducing on the 15th as 2nd plan. so it may work, or not. i did have a sore booty afterwards lol



 
Status: Offline
 
Reply



Bookmarks

Tags
castor , oil , pitocin , resort

featured articles


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search






SEO by vBSEO