Early Induction due to Gestational Diabetes/Big Baby - Anyone?
I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes just after 28 weeks and after following the strict diet my levels were still not coming down so I am currently on insulin twice a day. I am back at clinic tomorrow and suspect insulin will be upped again as my levels are still high.
At my last growth scan (I was 30+4) my baby was estimated to weigh 5lb 9oz already and the abdominal circumference was above 97th centile. The obstetrician said 'umm we have a very big baby here' and seemed concerned, he was nice but not all the chatty so didn't talk much. I am due to be scanned again in a weeks time when I will be 32+4 to see how the growth is going but I am feeling pretty scared about what to expect, especially as my bs levels are not under control yet.
The consultant did say that they do not let gd ladies go to term when big babies are suspected but I have no idea at this point when they are thinking, does it depend on how things go?
I wondered if anyone has been induced earlier than 38 weeks due to GD or a big baby??? I was induced with my son at 36+4 due to pre-eclampsia and he was a healthy 6lb 8oz.
Part of the reason I am asking is because I have a trapped sciatic nerve and achy pelvis that makes it very difficult for me to stand or walk for more than 10-15 mins and of course carrying this weight is making it much harder. I'm not sure how this will impact the labour either but I would rather avoid a c-section as I am overweight I hear there are more risks??? Plus I hear doctors try to avoid c-sections with overweight ladies???
Turned into a long one sorry, just wondered if anyone had any advice or experience etc?
Thank you xxxx
I have GD and I'm on insulin 4 times a day and big doses to try and get my levels down. At my last two growth scans baby has been exactly on 50th centile so just right but i have been told that they will induce me at 38 weeks as there is a slightly higher risk of stillbirth with GD. I'm not sure but think they may induce earlier if your levels are not well controlled or baby is growing too big but best thing is to ask next time you go to the hospital. Good luck!
I was an elective section at 37 weeks due to GD. Wasn't a candidate for induction as I had an em c section due to an abruption with DS2, not to mention my history of pre-eclampsia, eclampsia, HELLP etc.
Amber was off the scale on her last scan (she had been along the 75th up till then) and we were expecting a whopper. She was all of 6lb15oz....
As for being overweight, my BMI was 33. The section was great this time, walking the next day (Amber was taken to NICU due to low blood sugar common with GD babies), driving and into my pre-pregnancy jeans 2 weeks later.
I'd still have preferred an induction, but we went for what was safer for me.
Hi hun i had gd and went into pre term labour and had ds at 35 weeks, he was 8lb1oz but then again i wasn't stable on insulin at all and was always getting 12's etc on the blood sugar tests i had to do.
I hope your sugars get under control, i'm here if ever you want to chat xx
I'm being induced at 38 weeks because GD, my consultant doesn;t let anyone with GD go past 38 weeks. I've been pretty well controlled on insulin, although I did find it difficult between 29-32 weeks, hormones must have been going crazy.
My baby was just ok size wise at my last scan. I think they try and get you to 38 weeks but I was told 36 weeks might be the time they get him out if I was uncontrolled or he was really big. I'm hoping to be induced but I'm seeing the aneathatist (sp?) on Thursday just in case I have to have a c section, but I'm hoping it wont come to that
Just wanted to say a huge 'delayed' thank you for all your replies unfortunately since I posted I have been in and out of hospital for various reasons, GD not under control and showing signs of pre-eclampsia so seen every 48 hours!
My scan last week showed babies est weight is 7lb 2oz at 32+4!!! My consultant seemed shocked and concerned but he is quite arrogant and unappoachable so I left without any answers to my q's he mentioned a higher rate of stillbirth between now and labour and also higher risk of bith injuries, he wasn't very tactful so have spent alot of time in tears since. Am feeling a bit stronger and more ready to ask some questions this wed, not having another scan till the following week but having an ecg this week, I just have no clue on the plan i.e latest they let GD ladies go before inducing, induction v's c-section etc etc
I am also really keen to talk to a feeding advisor as due to my son having severe allergies and anaphylaxis his consultant has advised against any top ups of formula being given to our new baby to try and protect her as much as we can (early introduction can trigger the allergic process), when I mention 'allergies' I sort of get fobbed off, I realise that babies health is the most important thing but we have almost lost our son a few times due to his reactions and if I can do anything to avoid or make it less severe this time around then I really want to try. I have heard you can express milk before baby is born and freeze it for top ups but surely I need a plan and some dates to do this.......
Any opinions, advice, statements or other information expressed or made available on BabyandBump.Momtastic.com by users or third parties, including but not limited to bloggers, are solely those of the respective user or other third party. They do not reflect the opinions of BabyandBump.Momtastic.com and they have not been reviewed by a physician, psychologist or parenting expert or any member of the BabyandBump.Momtastic.com staff for accuracy, balance or objectivity. Content and other information presented on BabyandBump.Momtastic.com are not a substitute for professional medical or mental health advice, counseling, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical or mental health advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on BabyandBump.Momtastic.com. BabyandBump.Momtastic.com does not endorse any opinion, advice, statement, product, service or treatment made available on the website. If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or emergency services immediately.