Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 11:59 AM   1
Fire_fly
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 275

Severe spd, co-codomal and problems after delivery


Hi all, so had a check up at the hospital today at 30+1 and was asked how I was moving about as I'm on crutches (painfully and slowly with a toddler to look after was the answer and resting at night and if I get the chance during the day for 5 minutes). The midwife was asking as being too imobile would mean I might need blood thinners to prevent blood clots.
My constulant has prescribed me co-codomal 8/500 mgs for the pain as paracetamol (tyconel?) In America? wasnt helping the pain at all which I've been taking 3 times a day. I had a different doctor today who was nice enough but worried me by mentioning my baby might have to go special care for a couple of days after delivery as he might have problems with breathing from the pain killers but they still want me be mobile to prevent blood clots and I can only do that with pain killers, without them I'd really struggle to walk. I'm on the lowest dose possible for them. Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation before the birth of their baby and how it turned out?
Thanks



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 15:26 PM   2
Boothh
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Huddersfield/Manchester
Posts: 9,762
That's quite a low dose of codeine I really wouldn't worry too much. They're only mentioning it just in case so you're prepared. . If you need them you need them don't feel bad. And to prescribe them to you obviously they feel the benefit to you outweighs the risk to the baby x



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 17:16 PM   3
Fire_fly
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 275
Yeah, that's what she said, I really do need them and have been offered the 30/500 ones from my consultant if I need them. Tbh they would probably help manage the pain better but I can get by on the 8's provided I take it easy at night with my partner taking care of more of the house work. Don't want to take them if I can help it really but would be pretty immobile without anything for it, just not possible with a 2 year old aswell. She said if I could, to try and wean off them a bit just in case and I felt terrible the thinking I could be hurting my baby, just feels like a catch 22 really as they don't want me on blood thinners as my c-section is being booked soon and it's too risky and the pain killers are only way to stay active enough and look after my toddler
I think I'll try 2 in the morning and 2 at night so I'm cutting a dose out for now and see how it goes.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 02:18 AM   4
Boothh
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Huddersfield/Manchester
Posts: 9,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_fly View Post
Yeah, that's what she said, I really do need them and have been offered the 30/500 ones from my consultant if I need them. Tbh they would probably help manage the pain better but I can get by on the 8's provided I take it easy at night with my partner taking care of more of the house work. Don't want to take them if I can help it really but would be pretty immobile without anything for it, just not possible with a 2 year old aswell. She said if I could, to try and wean off them a bit just in case and I felt terrible the thinking I could be hurting my baby, just feels like a catch 22 really as they don't want me on blood thinners as my c-section is being booked soon and it's too risky and the pain killers are only way to stay active enough and look after my toddler
I think I'll try 2 in the morning and 2 at night so I'm cutting a dose out for now and see how it goes.
I was on 30s through two of my pregnancies and I think I stopped them at 37 weeks went to the lower dose and was sectioned at 39 weeks both times. I've had some this time when I've needed them too. If you actually look at the side effects the only real thing is it can make the baby drowsy. You're being prescribed by a professional who has the best interests of both of you. I'm on different meds this time and have had to have a neonatal alert sheet in my notes meaning the baby will have her own doctor at birth to check her. But I can't come off my medication and it's better for all the babies to have a well mummy. That's most important I think. X



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 04:14 AM   5
Fire_fly
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_fly View Post
Yeah, that's what she said, I really do need them and have been offered the 30/500 ones from my consultant if I need them. Tbh they would probably help manage the pain better but I can get by on the 8's provided I take it easy at night with my partner taking care of more of the house work. Don't want to take them if I can help it really but would be pretty immobile without anything for it, just not possible with a 2 year old aswell. She said if I could, to try and wean off them a bit just in case and I felt terrible the thinking I could be hurting my baby, just feels like a catch 22 really as they don't want me on blood thinners as my c-section is being booked soon and it's too risky and the pain killers are only way to stay active enough and look after my toddler
I think I'll try 2 in the morning and 2 at night so I'm cutting a dose out for now and see how it goes.
I was on 30s through two of my pregnancies and I think I stopped them at 37 weeks went to the lower dose and was sectioned at 39 weeks both times. I've had some this time when I've needed them too. If you actually look at the side effects the only real thing is it can make the baby drowsy. You're being prescribed by a professional who has the best interests of both of you. I'm on different meds this time and have had to have a neonatal alert sheet in my notes meaning the baby will have her own doctor at birth to check her. But I can't come off my medication and it's better for all the babies to have a well mummy. That's most important I think. X
Thanks, it's really helpful to hear from someone in the same situation, I think the doctors have to tell you the worst case situation don't they. I totally agree, a stressed mummy all the time isn't good for baby at all and that's what it was like before they gave me the co-codomal, in tears mostly because I couldn't move. I'm going to have to try and remember that and your advice tbh. Part of the reason I'm a bit wary of the 30's is because I get really sick on them.
Another 9 weeks to go! Hope it's fly's by x



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 11:38 AM   6
Bonnie11
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South East UK
Posts: 2,194
Firefly I have nothing much to add apart from I feel your pain!! It's a killer and so depressing, I just focus on the weeks I have left of pregnancy and counting down. I'm taking co codamol too, was not happy about taking it but to be honest I couldn't manage without it. The only thing that has really really helped is osteopathy! If you haven't tried it yet I would really recommend 100%. I was so sceptical but it's made such a huge difference and I have so much less pain now and don't need crutches anywhere near as often. It's been a game changer so maybe worth a try for you, make sure you choose one that specialises in SPD. I have about 1 treatment every 3 weeks and I daresay I also have the odd day with no pain (infrequent!) but still a huge improvement as I couldn't have Carried on how I was xx



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 13:02 PM   7
Fire_fly
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie11 View Post
Firefly I have nothing much to add apart from I feel your pain!! It's a killer and so depressing, I just focus on the weeks I have left of pregnancy and counting down. I'm taking co codamol too, was not happy about taking it but to be honest I couldn't manage without it. The only thing that has really really helped is osteopathy! If you haven't tried it yet I would really recommend 100%. I was so sceptical but it's made such a huge difference and I have so much less pain now and don't need crutches anywhere near as often. It's been a game changer so maybe worth a try for you, make sure you choose one that specialises in SPD. I have about 1 treatment every 3 weeks and I daresay I also have the odd day with no pain (infrequent!) but still a huge improvement as I couldn't have Carried on how I was xx
Sorry to hear you've been suffering with this too, it's awful. Totally get what you mean, no easy at all to get through a day without them. I would absolutely love to see the osteopath as all I've heard is good things but no room in our budget unfortunately. That's great it's helping though, anything that helps is a definite plus! Heres to counting down till baby's are here! How long have you got left? xx



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 13:24 PM   8
Bonnie11
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South East UK
Posts: 2,194
Ahh sorry to hear that.. it's an expensive undertaking I know! Luckily I don't need to go so often now thank goodness. Have got around 12 weeks but have GD so they may want to go earlier.. have to wait and see. Hoping for a VBaC this time around. And this will definitely be my last pregnancy!! The combo of GD andSPD is rubbish and I can't do it again!

How about you?



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 14:10 PM   9
Fire_fly
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie11 View Post
Ahh sorry to hear that.. it's an expensive undertaking I know! Luckily I don't need to go so often now thank goodness. Have got around 12 weeks but have GD so they may want to go earlier.. have to wait and see. Hoping for a VBaC this time around. And this will definitely be my last pregnancy!! The combo of GD andSPD is rubbish and I can't do it again!

How about you?
Just under 9 weeks, meant to be 10 but having a section booked soon for 39 weeks. I've got gd too, sucks right? and they don't want me going past my due date, it was the same with my first pregnancy, was induced at 39+5. Might be worth mentioning to your midwife and see what your hospitals take is on it? I did ask about going naturally this time (before my spd kicked in and was put on metaformin) and they said they'd let me go a few days over as long as my numbers were good but unfortunately diet alone just wasn't working. I hope you get the vbac your wanting even if it is with an induction.
Same here! There's no way I can do this again! x



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 01:53 AM   10
Bonnie11
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South East UK
Posts: 2,194
Yeah mh midwife is supportive of my VBaC so far, just have to see what my bloods do for the last trimester and how big baby is. I can't be induced because of previous section so just have to hope I go naturally! At the moment they are happy for me to go to 40 with sweeps from 38 and hope for the best.. but it all comes down to whether he wants to pop out! Induction failed last time and ended up with a section so to be honest I wouldn't really want to do that again anyway so I'm not too gutted I can't be induced! Just going to try everything to go naturally x



 
Status: Offline
 

SEO by vBSEO