BabyandBump

BabyandBump (http://babyandbump.momtastic.com/)
-   Pregnancy - Third Trimester (http://babyandbump.momtastic.com/pregnancy-third-trimester/)
-   -   Circumcision (http://babyandbump.momtastic.com/pregnancy-third-trimester/251282-circumcision.html)

blondeNklutzi Jan 7th, 2010 10:55 AM

Circumcision

So I have a question for the ladies who are having boys or have had boys before...sorry if I'm being too nosy. Are you having/did you have your little boy circumcised?

OH and I have decided NOT to have the baby circumcised when he is born, OH is not and I don't want to subject a newborn to an unecessary (sp?) surgery. My OB is being really really pushy about this though! Luckily our pediatrician is supportive. I understand the reasons for circumcision and have done my research and decided that the benefits don't outweigh the risks, I'm perfectly happy for my little boy to remain intact the way nature made him!

Any experiences? And did anyone else have this issue with their Dr/mw? I honestly don't know how common circumcision is in the UK...:dohh:

Seity Jan 7th, 2010 10:58 AM

We're having a boy and we'll be having him circumcised. When we found out it was a boy I told my husband it was his decision to make because he'd know more about what it might be like for our boy and the whole cleanliness/teasing/whatever that might go with either choice.

chocaholic Jan 7th, 2010 11:00 AM

Don't think it's very common over here in the UK, it certainly wasn't even mentioned when my son was born - could be wrong tho x

Mitsuko Jan 7th, 2010 11:01 AM

I'm under the impression it's more of a US thing. Here (Belgium, I cannot talk about UK), only Muslims and Jewish people have their little boys circumcised. To me, it's a question of personal/cultural choice... I've never heard of any problems connected with being uncircumcised or with being circumcised. Or rather, if I have, it's because I've read on US forums! ;)

Just go according to what you think is best for your LO! :)

dani_tinks Jan 7th, 2010 11:01 AM

Doesn't happen over here unless it's for med reason or religion so nope, won't be having our LO done.

Seity Jan 7th, 2010 11:02 AM

It's so common over here that I've never seen an uncircumcised penis.

blondeNklutzi Jan 7th, 2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seity (Post 4019976)
It's so common over here that I've never seen an uncircumcised penis.

Haha, I hadn't either until I got with my OH! At first I thought there was something wrong with him! :blush:

I wasn't sure if that was a US thing or not, kind of had a feeling it was. Like someone said, its my child, so why is my OB flipping out about this?

Aidan's Mummy Jan 7th, 2010 11:06 AM

I didnt get aidan circumsied as I just didnt see the need to and neither did OH so he left it

But I dont think I can get it done over here unless there is a medical reason but I could be wrong

I had only really heard of it in the jewsih faith but it seems to be a big thing in the US. Is that correct
xx

NattieLou Jan 7th, 2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blondeNklutzi (Post 4019871)
My OB is being really really pushy about this though!

WTH? :growlmad: No, our little boy will be staying intact unless there are any specific medical issues that arise that would necessitate circumcision. I don't feel it's our place to make the choice to remove a normal, healthy, functional part of his genitalia. My husband is American and cut, but he feels the same way as me. Luckily circumcision is not the norm in the UK.

blondeNklutzi Jan 7th, 2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NattieLou (Post 4020053)
Quote:

Originally Posted by blondeNklutzi (Post 4019871)
My OB is being really really pushy about this though!

WTH? :growlmad: No, our little boy will be staying intact unless there are any specific medical issues that arise that would necessitate circumcision. I don't feel it's our place to make the choice to remove a normal, healthy, functional part of his genitalia. My husband is American and cut, but he feels the same way as me. Luckily circumcision is not the norm in the UK.

That's kind of the way OH and I feel about it. OH is NOT cut and I'm sure that plays a big part in his desire to have his son intact too!

Aidens Mummy-yes, it is very common in the US for boys to be circumcised as newborns. The prevailing reasoning is for cleanliness sake. In addition, there have been studies that show that boys who are circumcised are slightly less likely to pass STD's on to their partners (very very very very slight statistical difference however). And finally, there is a prevailing notion that a little boy should look like his daddy and since most adult men are circumcised...