Forum Rules

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 9th, 2014, 15:15 PM   1
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 234

Is there a way to legally change baby's surname without the father's consent?

Is this possible to do?

Thank you.

Status: Offline
Old Oct 9th, 2014, 15:31 PM   2
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,152
Im not entirely sure, but I understood it that as long as he was paying SOMETHING towards support he was considered an "active" parent.

Status: Offline
Old Oct 9th, 2014, 22:36 PM   3
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,167
Kind of like pp said, he'd be considered an active parent and since his name is on the birth certificate you would need his consent. You might be able to take him to court to get the last name changed. I'm not too sure about it.

Status: Offline
Old Oct 9th, 2014, 23:22 PM   4
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 567
My sister just changed the surnames of her three sons to her own, in the end the father signed the agreement but I do remember that there was something to do with a period of contact between the children and the father. I'm not sure how it's proven, but after a certain amount of time without contact between father and child, she was allowed to change them. This was in the UK, mind.

For the straightest answer, I would contact a lawyer.

Status: Offline
Old Oct 20th, 2014, 18:30 PM   5
Waiting To Try (WTT)
BnB Addict
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Brantford, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,557
Where I live, as long as you have full custody and there is nothing in the court order that says you cannot change the child's last name, then you can change their don't need the father's consent, you just need to inform them.

Status: Offline