Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 03:24 AM   1
welshsarah
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wales
Posts: 734

:( feeling crappy. Is it worth working??


I dont know if this is the right place to put this. I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old. Just recently I have gone back to work, after discovering our working tax credits had been cut from 180 a month to 17 month. (my partner had to do a lot of overtime last year to pay for our car, a lot of things went wrong and we ended up having to buy a new one). Well anyway we had the letter saying we had been over paid by 1600 or something and our working tax was lowered. So as we were struggling on the one wage anyway I decided to go back to work. (we also want a final child in the future too ). Well anyway everything was ok for a while. I started working a lot of hours much to the disadvantage of the kids and I put my 2 year old in playgroup 3 mornings a week, only costing 90 a month, (I say only but I know other people pay a lot more than this).
I felt terrible leaving my children and as I was so desperate in my interview I got taken on as a temp with possibility as being made permanent in january. The only problem is the hours are all over the place and they are different each week. But what kept me going was knowing that I was going to bring home around 500 extra a month and be able to provide better for the family.
However I found out today that im working for peanuts as even through at the moment I may find i get extra money. In april they will review my tax credits and housing and take this off us.
So my child tax will reduce from 103 a week to 47 and Housing allowance from 35 a week to nothing.
224 loss in child tax credits
140 loss in housing allowance
Plus would have to pay back my working tax (27 a month)
and 90 im spending on childcare a month

So i be getting an extra 19 a month for doing 20 hours overtime. Advice please. I dont want to come across as a scrounger, but its breaking my heart leaving the kids and finding out this is hurting even more.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 03:34 AM   2
freckleonear
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Devon
Posts: 4,631
Personally, I don't think it's worth missing out on precious time with your children for such a small amount of extra money. They'll be at school before you know it, and there's plenty of time to work then.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 03:36 AM   3
welshsarah
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wales
Posts: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by freckleonear View Post
Personally, I don't think it's worth missing out on precious time with your children for such a small amount of extra money. They'll be at school before you know it, and there's plenty of time to work then.
This is what me and my partner are saying. Our kids are more important than money at the moment. I always imagined of having 3 children but without the extra income it looks like we will have to make do with the 2 we got.
xx



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 03:49 AM   4
hattiehippo
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Essex
Posts: 4,661
I'd totally agree that's it's not worth working that amount for that little money. It's a shame though because I think being a working parent is an excellent example to set your kids but like freckleonear says there will be time to work more once they're both at school.

On the other hand lots of women have no choice but to put their kids in child care from a lot younger than 2 and 3 mornings a week in play group is really not a lot and will help support his interaction with other children etc ready for school. Does he like going to the play group?



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 04:34 AM   5
welshsarah
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wales
Posts: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by hattiehippo View Post
I'd totally agree that's it's not worth working that amount for that little money. It's a shame though because I think being a working parent is an excellent example to set your kids but like freckleonear says there will be time to work more once they're both at school.

On the other hand lots of women have no choice but to put their kids in child care from a lot younger than 2 and 3 mornings a week in play group is really not a lot and will help support his interaction with other children etc ready for school. Does he like going to the play group?
he does. He only goes for 2 hours a morning, but if I wasnt working I would take him to mum and toddlers 3 times a week anyway. (would save me 78 a month for the same time also, as mum and toddlers is only 1 a session.)X



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 04:56 AM   6
happysaurus
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 587
I'd suggest thinking about the bigger picture. Just now you might not be better off by much working but, by working, you can start gaining experience and applying for better jobs and end up much better off. This is especially important if you want a third because otherwise you'll end up trapped on benefits, with the state supporting your children and I don't think that's good for anyone's self esteem. Yes, it will be tough in the short term but - if you take the leap off subsidies now - you'll be much better off in the future emotionally and financially.



Status: Offline
 
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 05:11 AM   7
Ozzieshunni
Mum (Mom)
BnB Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 19,288
We looked at me going back to work when Alex was born and it's just not worth it! We would be WORSE off (like yourself) if I were to go back to work.

You can gain experience by volunteering as well. It doesn't always have to be paid work. I volunteer with Victim Support. I can put it on my c/v and it shows consistancy.

Don't be ashamed of going on benefits for now. You won't be "trapped" on them.



Status: Offline
 
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 05:14 AM   8
welshsarah
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wales
Posts: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysaurus View Post
I'd suggest thinking about the bigger picture. Just now you might not be better off by much working but, by working, you can start gaining experience and applying for better jobs and end up much better off. This is especially important if you want a third because otherwise you'll end up trapped on benefits, with the state supporting your children and I don't think that's good for anyone's self esteem. Yes, it will be tough in the short term but - if you take the leap off subsidies now - you'll be much better off in the future emotionally and financially.
My partner has a degree and as been trying for 5 years to better himself since learning I was pregnant but theres nothing out there. I only have a nvq level 3 in health and social and some A levels. Im just worried I wont be able to advance and get a better job because Iv seen how hard my partner has been trying and its hopeless X



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 05:14 AM   9
welshsarah
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wales
Posts: 734
I wouldnt mind volunteering for a few hours each week. xx



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 05:17 AM   10
Ozzieshunni
Mum (Mom)
BnB Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 19,288
It's a great way to stay connected to the working world, but without the stress of committing to a specific time



Status: Offline
 
Reply



Bookmarks

Tags
crappy , feeling , working , worth

featured articles


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search






SEO by vBSEO