LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 17:53 PM   1
ArtIsLife
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

Twins Likely after stopping BC?!

I just read that if you conceive just after stopping BC then you are more likely to have twins because your body pushes hard to ovulate after stopping BC and may release two eggs....AND my mom had twins! (I have twin sisters) so am I really a lot more likely to have twins since twins run on my moms side of the family AND I just got off the pill? (That is, if I conceive anytime soon)

Old Feb 15th, 2013, 03:41 AM   2
esmeralda74
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Active BnB Member

Twins would be lovely, bloody hard work I bet. Apparently the chance of twins increases with age as well.

Old Feb 15th, 2013, 09:18 AM   3
lilmonkey86
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

Fraternal Twins run on the mothers side, if your sisters are fraternal twins then yes you are more likely to have twins, if your sisters are identical then there in no increased chance, also age is a factor, over the age of 30 is more likely to have twins due to an increased amount of hormones produced thus the likely hood of more eggs dropping, also a BMI over 30 increases the chance of twins and above average height also contributes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtIsLife View Post
I just read that if you conceive just after stopping BC then you are more likely to have twins because your body pushes hard to ovulate after stopping BC and may release two eggs....AND my mom had twins! (I have twin sisters) so am I really a lot more likely to have twins since twins run on my moms side of the family AND I just got off the pill? (That is, if I conceive anytime soon)

Old Feb 15th, 2013, 09:43 AM   4
ArtIsLife
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

My sisters are fraternal. and she had them when she was 23.

Old Feb 15th, 2013, 10:03 AM   5
Ariannda
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

Yes to the BC question. We've been TTC for 13 months and my OB is already talking about putting me on BC after 6 months of clomid to halt ovulation for several months, then taking me off it to increase hyper ovulation, i will be 33 at that point. And yes because of the fraternal twins from mom. Do others on moms side have twins ?

Old Feb 15th, 2013, 10:11 AM   6
lilmonkey86
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

There is not actually a gene that dictates twins, it is actually a matter of hyperovulation (the tendency to drop 2 or more eggs) and that is what is passed on, hyperovulation can be passed on by males but obviously they do not ovulate so if your OH's family has a history of twins it does not affect the chances of twins for you, so when someone says it comes from the mothers side they are talking about the female attempting to get pregnant, not their mother necessarily, a grandmother on the females fathers side could be the one that has the hyperovulation gene, it may have been passed on to you by your mother but still does not guarantee that you will have twins.

My best way to describe it is that my great grandmother on my dads side was a twin and had twins and one of her twins had 3 sets of twins, so even though it is on my fathers side, he may have been a carrier and I may have twins!

Hope that helps to clarify lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtIsLife View Post
My sisters are fraternal. and she had them when she was 23.

Old Feb 15th, 2013, 10:17 AM   7
ArtIsLife
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

No other twins on my moms side that I know of, just my sisters, my mom had rare kids, they are twins and I'm a redhead. my mom is a redhead too. No other redheads in the fam either haha. Would be funny if I had twin redheads! Lol!

Old Feb 15th, 2013, 10:22 AM   8
Ariannda
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmonkey86 View Post
There is not actually a gene that dictates twins, it is actually a matter of hyperovulation (the tendency to drop 2 or more eggs) and that is what is passed on, hyperovulation can be passed on by males but obviously they do not ovulate so if your OH's family has a history of twins it does not affect the chances of twins for you, so when someone says it comes from the mothers side they are talking about the female attempting to get pregnant, not their mother necessarily, a grandmother on the females fathers side could be the one that has the hyperovulation gene, it may have been passed on to you by your mother but still does not guarantee that you will have twins.

My best way to describe it is that my great grandmother on my dads side was a twin and had twins and one of her twins had 3 sets of twins, so even though it is on my fathers side, he may have been a carrier and I may have twins!

Hope that helps to clarify lol!
Yes lol