LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 14th, 2017, 16:00 PM   4331
cutestuff
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

Kay that's really weird. I know dd had mild jaundice for a while but I was never recommended to not have her on her tummy. I think that in that case you just have to make up for it in other ways. One of dds favorite sleeping spots is on top of my chest which still allowed for dd to get in some tummy time without pressure on the belly. I lived in a 200 sq foot space while she was little so until she was 5-6 months old she didn't do a lot of laying on the belly just on my chest and such. I think that helped her a lot but she was about 15 pounds at that age so it was a lot easier than now at 22 pounds and more than 10 inches taller... Try the saucer and jumper. Also try not providing much support when he's sitting with you. He will get there.

Afm the gloves are off. Officially no longer careful and dtd 2 times during fertile weeks. I doubt I'll be preggo but won't do any planning or full force trying for a few more months.

Happy Mother's Day to all you ladies and I hope everyone gets massive doses of baby dust today if you are still trying

Old May 15th, 2017, 00:47 AM   4332
KatO79
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict

Problem was that he was super sleepy and for many weeks I had to wake him for every feed. So don't think tummy time helps when baby is so sleepy And I've tried him on me, it doesn't help! I've tried so many tummy time variants but he still rolls over or tries to after a few minutes. So not sure what to do. Oh and I've now read that the medical professionals here don't recommend jumpers or exersaucers

Old May 15th, 2017, 13:38 PM   4333
cutestuff
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

Kat I don't really know what to say. It's okay to make a decision that goes against recommendations. Lots of people do just look at the number of kids who don't get vaccines or religions that prevent medical intervention it happens and it may not be the best choice but it's how parents champion for their kids. I think maybe a good idea would be to get one of those nursing pillows and use that to prop him up. You could sit him up inside it and put toys around him or lay him down on top of it and do the toys that way. I also think when he sits on your lap sit him as far away from you as possible maybe start carrying him on your hip instead of shoulder and the last suggestion would be to go renegade status and just do what feels right. Screw the medical profession they aren't raising your kid and should not always factor into your decision making... Sorry if that's harsh it just seems like every idea is shot down and it's hard to see people you almost know having a hard time if they don't need to

Old May 15th, 2017, 13:50 PM   4334
KatO79
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutestuff View Post
Kat I don't really know what to say. It's okay to make a decision that goes against recommendations. Lots of people do just look at the number of kids who don't get vaccines or religions that prevent medical intervention it happens and it may not be the best choice but it's how parents champion for their kids. I think maybe a good idea would be to get one of those nursing pillows and use that to prop him up. You could sit him up inside it and put toys around him or lay him down on top of it and do the toys that way. I also think when he sits on your lap sit him as far away from you as possible maybe start carrying him on your hip instead of shoulder and the last suggestion would be to go renegade status and just do what feels right. Screw the medical profession they aren't raising your kid and should not always factor into your decision making... Sorry if that's harsh it just seems like every idea is shot down and it's hard to see people you almost know having a hard time if they don't need to
I'll try the pillow thing but he topples over very easily and quickly, don't think his balance is very good yet although he does sometimes try to correct himself.

I'll have to discuss with DH what we may feel most comfortable with but I'm thinking it'd be the jumper since the age group is 6 months and up while the exersaucers here are 9 months and up. I just don't want to do something that could potentially hurt him or make things worse. For a start we'll use it sparingly if we do decide to try it and see how that goes.

Old May 16th, 2017, 07:31 AM   4335
KatO79
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict

So talked to my HV and she is concerned that his spine might be locked so he's now booked to see a chiropractor on the 6th. Going to hold off on trying anything other than tummy time variants until then.

And she told me that it's actually bad for babies to be sitting unassisted before they're able to crawl so Alexander is fine and it's the mothers teaching their babies to sit before crawling that are wrong.

Old May 17th, 2017, 07:40 AM   4336
Moomi
Pregnant (Expecting)
New BnB member

Hey!!im 30 and my bf is 26. Been ttc for 6 months now, I'm currently in the tww which is driving me crazy... good luck everyone x

Old May 18th, 2017, 11:16 AM   4337
cutestuff
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

Welcome moomi. Yes the tww is no ones friend especially if there's even the smallest chance you are pregnant. I'm spending some quality time there too.
Kat I'm glad you found information that helps you. Hopefully he gets the help he needs. Though I will say your post was somewhat condescending. I think there is a difference in health advice even in the same doctors office I will use my daughter as an example. I was asked at her 9 month appointment if she was clapping and at the time it was no. When we went in for her 12 month she was just starting to clap kind of but the doctor we saw that time wasn't concerned just said if she was waving and pointing it was fine. I think most moms do the best they can for their kids but just because one thing holds true for some kids doesn't mean it's true for all kids. My dd sat unassisted at 5 months and was scooting around by 6 and doing the worm by 8 with first steps at 9.5. That doesn't mean anyone else has to keep up with her. It's totally normal for kids to not crawl until 12 months and start walking at 14. Some kids wait until they are 18 months to walk. It's all variations of normal but the constant theme of your posts suggest stress and worry so suggestions were provided based on my experience. There's no need to say I am wrong because my experience didn't match what your hv has said to you. She's never met me or my dd and it's inappropriate for her or anyone else to judge me.
Afm I've been trying to let dd go around the house without a diaper to see if she'll use her potty but all she's doing is peeing on the floor and yesterday there was a huge turd on my kitchen floor. Cracks me up but damn the things you do that you may have never thought about....

Old May 18th, 2017, 15:12 PM   4338
Angel5000
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict

Kat - I hope that they can help you with the chiropractor. I am going to be really blunt here but I feel like you are being incredibly condescending. I've felt that way before and held my tongue but I really don't think I can keep quiet. Every time I feel like something is recommendef you shoot it down. And that is fine that is your prerogative. But I notice that anything we say that doesn't exactly match what you say your HV suggests or recommends is also shot down. Ex: when I mentioned a long ago that my friends kids were STTN by 3-4 months you told me there's no way if they were EBF. But they were EBF and did sleep 6-8 hours by 4 months. When I said my kid was teething you told me it was impossible. Even though my niece did the same thing and had teeth before her 3rd month. And now when we are talking about babies sitting you tell us that we're wrong for helping our babies sit before they can crawl. Medical recommendations vary widely from person to person and state to state and country to country. And within the country doctors can't even agree. Heck, half the doctors here say we can start solids at 4 months the others are adamant that it's 6. Doing one or two things differently won't cause permanent damage. Justnlike using an exersaucer a little early won't either. Not all kids progress at the same rate.

I'm sorry to say this but I just can't keep coming to this thread anymore. I feel like anything I suggest is shot down, or I'm constantly told I'm wrong. I've appreciated you all during my time TTC but I think this group is no longer meeting my needs and the tone has changed too greatly for me to appreciate it.

Thank you all for the great months we had.

Old May 18th, 2017, 16:11 PM   4339
cutestuff
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

Angel I'm with you there. I remember you mentioning about early teething and just wanted to apologize if I dismissed you. I would like to start a new thread for us parents if you are in

Old May 19th, 2017, 04:39 AM   4340
KatO79
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict

Wow. Ok.

I don't think I've been condescending. I don't see anything wrong in saying if any advice given isn't working or going to work in this case. Great if e.g. lying baby on you gives them extra tummy time. I've tried that and many other variants and Alexander doesn't stay on his tummy for any longer than he does on the floor. That I'm hesitant to use any tools that could potentially do more harm than good I also don’t see an issue with. Maybe the ladies who are insulted by me not being able to use the suggested methods should try and see why they feel that way? I never get insulted if people can't use my advice, especially if I don't know them personally or don't have much knowledge about the topic. Frankly I feel a few here have been very judgemental about my parenting e.g. Alexander's jaundice. I've explained that he had the rare breast milk type and that it didn't warrant treatment because his number was going down plus that it lasting that long is normal. Yet I still feel like because your babies needed treatment but had different jaundice types to mine that I've been neglectful in not pushing for Alexander not getting treatment when all doctors who saw him said it isn't necessary. How hurtful do you think that was?

As for the teething I wasn't the only one who doubted it and I don't think I ever have said it was impossible, just unlikely which it is at that age. Same goes for the STTN thing, I doubt I categorically denied it completely but expressed doubts as many babies that age will still wake for 1-2 feeds.

Despite all this I still wish you both and your babies all have happy lives!

SEO by vBSEO