LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 18th, 2017, 19:09 PM   1
edenthel
Trying to conceive (TTC)
New BnB member

Anxiety Disorder + TTC #1

Are you dealing with an anxiety disorder, or other mental health challenges while TTC? If so, I would love to chat and be your buddy!

Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 23:15 PM   2
margeandmom
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

Hi Edenthel! I know you posted this a few weeks ago, just saw it today! I'm trying TTC #1 and suffer with mental health issues! I'm definitely looking for a buddy if you're still interested!

Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 23:49 PM   3
Scholar
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Active BnB Member

Hey ladies! I suffer from a mood disorder and am TTC let get through this together!
I saw my psychiatrist today and I didn't like her opinions on the medication causing irregular periods (which makes TTC hard obviously) nor was I impressed while she googled current research on my medication and pregnancy. So I'm thinking of kicking the meds..

What do you guys think?
Do your medications mess with your cycles and do you think they are pregnancy friendly?

8 days late (no af yet!)
TTC since December 2016

Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 11:15 AM   4
margeandmom
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

Thanks for replying Scholar!!

YAY for my first ever thread!!

Hmmm... I'm meeting with my psychiatrist today too.

I am not sure about medications effecting ovulation / periods. Never heard of anything to that effect, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen!

ALSO: I am now a BIG fan of second opinions in regards to doctors. I just had the most frustrating experience. My psychiatrist has been keeping me at a low dose of one of my meds 75mg (I used to be on a higher dose 150mg) and I knew it wasn't working and kept asking her if we could go up. She said no because "side effects." But when I met with my OBGYN, she said that my medication doesn't even become effective until 150mg!! She had me go up and I immediately felt better. Now I am pissed that I was on an ineffective dose for a whole year (it ended up being an unnecessarily stressful year). I really wish I would have gotten a second opinion earlier!!

As for going off, it all depends on how you think you'd handle it.

I have tried twice now to go off all my medications for pregnancy purposes, and both times it has ended in total meltdown-level failure. I have finally concluded that, for me, it simply isn't an option

There may be some risks, but I've had to weigh that against my alternative -- to not sleep (AT ALL) and become a barely-functioning sleep deprived zombie.

How do you function without meds, Scholar?

Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 11:51 AM   5
Scholar
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Active BnB Member

I get manic, I have mania basically. But it's not as bad as it was earlier in college. I'm beginning to think my disorder is mind over matter. I really don't feel quite different on meds just able to think clearer. Maybe I should try yoga ( bad mental illness joke)

Pharmacists says the meds are class C minimal risk but I'm not sure I like that at all, if I can go without meds I'd like to.

Marg how bad was your episode off medication? Your dose is really low which could mean less adverse symptoms

Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 12:09 PM   6
TTCfirstovr30
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

Hi edenthel, Thank you for starting a thread like this. It is not really spoken about and great to hear and share each other experiences.

I am currently feeling like I am going through this alone because I don't know anyone else with a condition similar to mine. I am bipolar and need to be on my meds otherwise I go into "mania mode." You know you think everything is great and fine when you are on your meds and I know for me, its like, "I don't need the meds." Then I go off them and I usually have a melt down within 3-6 months and realize, yeah I need those meds.

Anywhooo I finally got my cocktail right, thanks to a no BS doctor. I needed a lot of help TTC and am now expecting #1. So, It is totally doable!

I made the decision that I didnt want to take my meds while pregnant because of the risks it could potentially have on the baby. I regularly meet with my therapist, and so far so good.

I will say that some days are a lot harder than others. But for the most part they are good days.

Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 16:23 PM   7
margeandmom
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

Thanks for saying that TTC, that's exactly how I was feeling. Very "alone" in the TTC journey. It initially like most people don't have to deal with the ethical dilemmas around "staying on" vs. "staying off" medications. It has been hard to weigh the "small risk of birth defects" vs. "depressed mom risks" too. But it's very nice to know that many others struggle with similar issues!

That's very impressive that you are staying off meds! Very impressive! Sounds like you've got a good team of doctors and therapists to help you.

Scholar -- my "non-med episodes" usually manifest in NO or little sleep. I have major depression + anxiety + ADHD + PMDD (Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder), and it took me many years and the right doctors to find the right medications. Without them I just cannot shut my brain off, I guess. I'm on two anti-depressents, plus Seroquel. The only med that seems to really help me sleep is Seroquel, which is the one that doctors had wanted me to originally get off because of increased risk of Gestational Diabetes.

But the real problem with my sleep deprivation is FREAKS my husband out. He has a lot of trauma from past years when I didn't sleep for months and eventually had to be hospitalized. He gets so worried, which is sweet, but also really hard because he blames himself and them becomes depressed himself. And then I become MORE depressed. Vicious cycle!

Last month my lack of sleep stressed him out so much that he finally was like "if we can't find a way to manage the sleep, I don't think we should have a baby. Because a baby will be constantly keeping you up. And I don't want you lose you." It was really hard to hear. He's right though. So that's what led me to decide that I am going to stay on Seroquel despite the risks. Plus one of my antidepressants too.

I've now talked to my OBGYN and my psychiatrist and they are generally in agreement.

I'm hoping and praying that me being "very happy" during pregnancy will outweigh the potential risks to the baby.

Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 16:26 PM   8
margeandmom
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

That second sentence is supposed to start out "I initially thought that..." instead of "I initially like"...

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to edit the post!

Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 18:53 PM   9
TTCfirstovr30
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

margeandmom - I think that sounds like the best option for what is good for you and what is ultimately good for a baby. My DH is just like your DH in the fact that any signs of me getting depressed he starts to get really freaked out, and then that in turn gets me really anxious and freaks me out. But we work through it and get the doctors involved when need be.

It helps to have doctors on board and supportive of your decisions.

The potential risks to baby are very minimal and you also have to keep your well-being in mind.

I know for me, as soon as that baby is out I am going back on my meds that very day. I discussed breast feeding but the risk of me being off my medication for that long just isn't worth it for breastfeeding for me.

Old Feb 6th, 2017, 14:03 PM   10
Babydust1234
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Active BnB Member

Hey girls. I suffer with generalised anxiety disorder and am ttc number one. It's nice to see other people in a good way of course to know how difficult it can be. Always here if any one needs a chat x

SEO by vBSEO