LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 12:23 PM   1
want2bmomy
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Active BnB Member

pap smear test---is it really needed???

hi

m living in USA.....my gyno wants to do pap smear test...but is it compulsary?
M frm coutry....where nobody does this..i dont want to do this test

m ttc frm 8 months,irregular cycles..........so girls...plz share ur knowledge on this.

Thanks a lot

Old Apr 5th, 2012, 12:25 PM   2
AS116
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Active BnB Member

It's good to have them done, especially if you're sexually active. It doesn't hurt - just feels more awkward than anything else. It's over in about 30 seconds.

Old Apr 5th, 2012, 12:58 PM   3
LadyGriz11
Waiting To Try (WTT)
Chat Happy BnB Member

You definitely want to have a pap smear, like AS116 said, they don't take long at all and they don't hurt. It's good to know what's up with your cervix and it'll let you know if there are abnormal cells which could lead to some forms of cervical cancer.

Old Apr 5th, 2012, 17:45 PM   4
Melly Belly
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

i go every year...it is not something where i wake up and go "oh boy! time to go to the gynecologist today!" but, i know that a few minutes of pressure and uncomfortable-ness is worth it, if it might find something wrong or catch early cervical cancer, plus i just tell myself that once i finally get preggo, theyre going to be doing similar on a regular basis, plus internal ultrasounds, etc etc.

The first time going can be scary, if you have a good relationship with your dr/gyno, it makes it easier

Old Apr 5th, 2012, 18:30 PM   5
AS116
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Active BnB Member

Yeah my gyno has full on conversations while he's down there. Haha

Old Apr 5th, 2012, 19:13 PM   6
MrsSinclair
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

I had my first pap smear last week. I was very scared that it was going to hurt but it totally didn't!! My blood pressure was through the roof when she took it before my pap lol. My doc just laughed...But yes it is necessary if you are pregnant it is one of the first things they will do. Talk to your doc and maybe suggest waiting until you are actually pregnant to do one, unless ofcourse you are at risk of cervical cancer or anything. My doc said it was okay to wait until I got pregnant because she knew nothing would be wrong.

Old Apr 5th, 2012, 21:06 PM   7
silmarien
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Active BnB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2bmomy View Post
hi

m living in USA.....my gyno wants to do pap smear test...but is it compulsary?
M frm coutry....where nobody does this..i dont want to do this test

m ttc frm 8 months,irregular cycles..........so girls...plz share ur knowledge on this.

Thanks a lot
It's good to have it done.

My last pap smear came back irregular, but it turned out that the cells weren't pre-cancerous or cancerous after a cervical biopsy. However, if they had been cancerous, you risk losing your cervix if they find cancer and it's too late to just cut out the cancerous cells. No cervix=you won't ever be able to have kids. So it's better safe than sorry, IMHO.

Old Apr 5th, 2012, 21:15 PM   8
floatingbaby
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

I had one couple weeks ago...your head/brain is the worst part of it. I make sure to get it done with a female doc because I feel way more comfortable than with a male. But regardless, they are trained and experienced and do not pass judgement or anything like that. You will likely feel a bit of pressure on the inside, it's uncomfortable for me, but quick and worth it for your health's sake.
Plus, they lube you up so there's no difficulty getting in!

Old Apr 5th, 2012, 21:29 PM   9
MrsSpurbeck
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

Take someone you know and trust with you to help you feel more relaxed. Ask your hubby if he can go, or a close friend. When I had my first pap done I had my mom there and she was totally supportive. She gave me a run down on what to expect and my doctor at the time was totally understanding and explained everything she was going to do. Now they are no big deal, I go every year and you just get used to them.

Good luck!

Old Apr 6th, 2012, 08:59 AM   10
baby.sprout
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

Definitely have one. My last smear came up irregular with pre-cancerous cells found. If I hadn't had them removed, there's a good chance that they would have developed into full blown cervical cancer after a few years. It's not comfortable, but there are certainly worse things.