LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 02:25 AM   1
Faith n Hope
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

Quick Vitex Question?!

Hello!
Just a quick question! I have irregular periods I always have done! I have probz got PCOS and I have a hormonal imbalance (testosterone higher) so I started taking Vitex during my last cycle on CD39 and got my AF day after CD51! It says on the packet that its 1000mg extract and that I can take 1-2 a day! I have been taking one a day! Do you think I should carry on with 1 per day or try 2 per day instead? I have also started drinking cups of peppermint tea to see if that helps! I just want more regular/normal cycle length periods to hopefully deffo ovulate so im in with a chance! I dont know whether to buy OPKS but I heard they sometimes arent that accurate?! Any advice would be much appreciated! I really wanna try proper meds but Dr hasnt prescribed anything yet so thought id try and give this a proper go while im on Af and starting a new cycle to see if it makes a difference at all?!
Thank you sooooooo much!
BABY DUST!
xox

Old Apr 14th, 2012, 10:14 AM   2
j1405
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

hi!!

wel, i'm on my 5th month of vitex. because its a herb it takes a bit longer to build up in your system. the best is to take 1200mg per day. that is one pill 3 x a day. (normally the pills are 400mg each). that would work the best for you. i take the tincture. it absorbes allot better, you should try get that instead of the pills. its 15 drops 3x a day.

taking 1 a day will have very little effect on your irregular cycles.

vitex will help for your pcos if you take it regularly and as above. it regulated my cycles very well! i now have a 27day cycle every month for the last 4 months. first month i took only 1 pill also and it didn't change anything. herbalist told me to take more and try the tincture! it WORKS!!

i use opk's also. they are very seldom not accurate because your lh only rises once a month. if you have pcos then yes, it might not be accurate. you can still use it and bd whenever you see a pos. or best way is to bd every 2nd day from after af till af shows again. that way you will catch the egg and both of you get a break from bding

try more vitex. it should definately make a difference!!

Old Apr 14th, 2012, 14:08 PM   3
Faith n Hope
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

Hello!
Thank you sooooooo much for your help!
Yeah Ive heard it can take a while to kick in fully and see effects!
Does the tincture last long? Do you just swallow the drops then?
So if mine is 1000mg should I up it to two for now then? Or will that be too much?
How irregular were you before?
Well we try to BD as much as possible but havent caught it so far?
Im just worried in case im not ovulating at all?
Thank you again!
GOOD LUCK AND BABY DUST!
xox

Old Apr 14th, 2012, 14:33 PM   4
Faith n Hope
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

Also do you take Vitex for the whole of your cycle or do you stop it during certain parts just ive been googling and reading loads of stuff on it but its all conflicting?!
Thanks!
xox

Old Apr 14th, 2012, 19:15 PM   5
Zahraa179
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

Confused :S Please help

my last proper period was on the 30th January and I haven't missed a period since I was about 14 and I had just started my period about 8 months before that. I had a miscarriage just before 2012 New years day and noticed that my period after the miscarriage was a week late which I had heard was normal to happen but I started taking Agnus Cactus (Vitex) supplement (herbal medicine that helps periods/hormones) just in case to help my periods get back to normal. A lot of women seem to take this particular herbal medicine when trying to conceive as it helps ovulation but it seems that it has done the complete opposite with me. I am seriously confused. I did have a little bleeding from the 7th March for about 3-4 days but it wasn't actual blood, it was brown fluid (old blood) with tons of clear and brown discharge which I found really odd as I have never had this before, I then had a tiny bit of spotting last friday (around my actual period time) but nothing, I've had the odd period cramps, no sore breasts which is also weird as I usually have sore breasts before I come on. I haven't seen any real period since January :S Please help I'm confused.

P.S I've been taking Vitex for just under 3 months now and the only changes I can see is that it has helped with AF symptoms but not actually helped AF itself!

Old Apr 15th, 2012, 05:42 AM   6
j1405
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

Wel the tincture lasts just about till af shows for me.. I take it the whole cycle till af then start again once af stops.

The tincture is usually cheaper as well so worth a try. I put the drops in a small bit of water then keep it in my mouth for a little while before swallowing. I drink a glass of water afterwards.

Since you have the pills now, I'd take 2 and see if you see a difference at all. I know pills gets absorbed 50% and the tincture 90%.

I had really short cycles before I took vitex. My lutheal phase was only 9 days and I don't even think I o'd many months bcoz af was like only 2 days sometimes.
I also had a cyst that had to be removed last year nov. My estrogen levels were crazy high causing the imbalance but vitex really worked!

Up the pills for now and if not pregnant try the drops next cycle

Old Apr 15th, 2012, 06:13 AM   7
Faith n Hope
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

Thank you very much! That helps sooooooo much!
Much appreciated and means a lot!
xox

Old Apr 15th, 2012, 20:09 PM   8
fertiliciousx
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1405 View Post
Wel the tincture lasts just about till af shows for me.. I take it the whole cycle till af then start again once af stops.

The tincture is usually cheaper as well so worth a try. I put the drops in a small bit of water then keep it in my mouth for a little while before swallowing. I drink a glass of water afterwards.

Since you have the pills now, I'd take 2 and see if you see a difference at all. I know pills gets absorbed 50% and the tincture 90%.

I had really short cycles before I took vitex. My lutheal phase was only 9 days and I don't even think I o'd many months bcoz af was like only 2 days sometimes.
I also had a cyst that had to be removed last year nov. My estrogen levels were crazy high causing the imbalance but vitex really worked!

Up the pills for now and if not pregnant try the drops next cycle
Hi j1405, quick one before i go on....loving your signature verse one of my fave verses. I've been recently told by my dr that i have a cyst on one ovary and hence PCO which could explain my long and irregular cycles. After been offered nothing else but told to eat healthy and lose aome weight (25 BMI) I read that Vitex / AC could help regulate your cycles so I got me some and started to use it 5 days ago...i;'ve been taking the dose which came on the pill bottle (2 pills of 400mg twice a day)....do you think that's good enough...I know it's only been 5 days but have not noticed much of a difference esp in CM....after reading your post i think i may be better of with the liquid drops...right now I'm in limbo, on CD49 no sign of AF and no ......What was your experience initially with vitex? thanks

Old Apr 15th, 2012, 20:27 PM   9
silmarien
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Active BnB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith n Hope View Post
Hello!
Just a quick question! I have irregular periods I always have done! I have probz got PCOS and I have a hormonal imbalance (testosterone higher) so I started taking Vitex during my last cycle on CD39 and got my AF day after CD51! It says on the packet that its 1000mg extract and that I can take 1-2 a day! I have been taking one a day! Do you think I should carry on with 1 per day or try 2 per day instead? I have also started drinking cups of peppermint tea to see if that helps! I just want more regular/normal cycle length periods to hopefully deffo ovulate so im in with a chance! I dont know whether to buy OPKS but I heard they sometimes arent that accurate?! Any advice would be much appreciated! I really wanna try proper meds but Dr hasnt prescribed anything yet so thought id try and give this a proper go while im on Af and starting a new cycle to see if it makes a difference at all?!
Thank you sooooooo much!
BABY DUST!
xox
My Vitex is only 400mg, and I took it 3x a day for 3 months. Then switched to 2 a day. So your dose probably depends on the person, and your PCOS might mean you need more. But good luck to you!

ETA: My cycles were 77 days long (started Jan 2012) while I was taking it 3x a day and it looks like my next cycle will be 45-50 days long. So it does help! Hopefully it mine will get to my pre BC normal of 30-33 day cycles with regular use. I've read Vitex is best with longer term use than just as a quick fix.

Old Apr 16th, 2012, 03:09 AM   10
Faith n Hope
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

Thank you I was just worried in case taking too much could also effect me?! I dont want to make things worse either!
xox