LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 17:57 PM   1
gustav72
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Active BnB Member

Progesterone levels?

HI All...I have started the infertility process. I'm having all the blood tests before I can even meet with the doctor. My progesterone level was 3.9 on day 22 of my cycle. I thought I was ovulating at day 10-12. I was pretty discouraged when I got this result. This is pretty low, right?

My prolactin level was fine.

My next blood test will be next week for the FSH, pretty nervous about it. I just turned 40 last month and TTC with our first.

Old Dec 7th, 2012, 21:25 PM   2
Coolstar
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Active BnB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustav72 View Post
HI All...I have started the infertility process. I'm having all the blood tests before I can even meet with the doctor. My progesterone level was 3.9 on day 22 of my cycle. I thought I was ovulating at day 10-12. I was pretty discouraged when I got this result. This is pretty low, right?

My prolactin level was fine.

My next blood test will be next week for the FSH, pretty nervous about it. I just turned 40 last month and TTC with our first.
U r not alone hun .I did my test and my level was just 2.4 and i read anything below 5 means no ov.

Old Dec 8th, 2012, 02:04 AM   3
gustav72
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Active BnB Member

Sorry Coolstar...so, are you seeing any results with the Clomid? I haven't met with a doctor yet, but am assuming that's the direction they will have me go in and/or progesterone supplements.

Old Dec 9th, 2012, 14:17 PM   4
Coolstar
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Active BnB Member

My 1st round of Clomid 50mg, my level was 4.6 so he upped my dose to 100mg.I have not received my CD21 results yet.Will let u know when i get.Pls do update me when you meet your doc.

Old Dec 9th, 2012, 22:59 PM   5
gustav72
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Active BnB Member

Thanks Coolstar...I'm going in tomorrow to get my estrogen and FSH levels checked, a bit anxious about it. We are hoping to meet with the doctor soon! Good luck!! I'm hoping this clomid cycle works for you!

Old Dec 9th, 2012, 23:44 PM   6
Coolstar
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Active BnB Member

I have read low progesterone usually makes one Estrogen dominant although i have not checked my estrogen level.Do let me know when you get the results.Wish u all the luck.

Old Dec 11th, 2012, 14:53 PM   7
jenkb123
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

I have had some positive experience with clomid and Provera (progesterone supplements).

I am 37 (and my husband is 41) and we are ttc #1 (neither of us have any children). We started ttc as soon as we got married a year and a half ago. Due to my really long cycles and our ages they started looking at infertility issues about 7 months ago. My cycles were 50-60 days apart and I would often bleed for 3-4 weeks straight. They did a bunch of testing. My progesterone tested low. It did also show my estrogen levels were high so I think that they do go together. A theory was that due to low progesterone my body wasn't getting the right signals about when to start and stop bleeding. This allowed the estrogen to take over and let things build up way too long which caused me to bleed to long (a nasty cycle). I was given Provera (progesterone supplement) to kickstart my cycle. After the Provera I had 2 months of more regular cycles (about 30 days between, bleeding for a week). When the next cycle did not come when it should (and I was testing bfn) they decided to try clomid. I took Provera first to force cd1 and I took 50mg of Clomid from day 3 -7. We then did follicle tracking to see how things were progressing. The first day I went in for tracking (on a Friday) they said I had two follicles that looked promising and that that they expected I should ovulate by the time I came in for the next appointment (Monday). When I went in Monday nothing had happened. Again they said any minute. I went in Wednesday and again nothing had changed. At this point they figured that I might not ovulate on my own. I was given an HCG shot (10,000mg) to help force my body to ovulate. When I went back in Friday one of the follicles had collapsed which they said indicated ovulation. Due to the HCG shot I had to wait longer to test as a bfp would likely be the result of the leftover HCG from the shot. When it was all clear I had a real bfp and was ecstatic!! Unfortunately I had a miscarriage and lost the baby which has been very hard (but not related to the fertility treatments....it was just one of those unfortunate things that can happen to anyone). The fact that we figured out a way to get a bfp is still a very positive thing. I have to try and focus on that.

I hope that clomid works for you Coolstar!! Have you been given the option of follicle tracking. I would highly recommend it if it is available. Without the tracking we wouldn't have seen that I wasn't ovulating on my own and I wouldn't have been given the HCG shot. Without the shot I don't think it would have worked. I am hoping that it will work for me again.

I just got my first af after my m/c and was anxious to try again. Unfortunately I can't get the tracking this month due to Christmas holidays but I will try the clomid without it and see what happens. If it doesn't work I will try it with the tracking again next month.

I hope you get some answers with your testing Gustav!! This whole infertility process can be discouraging at times....we just have to try to focus on the fact that each new piece of information we get from testing can get us that much closer to figuring out the magic formula to create our bfp!!

Old Dec 11th, 2012, 22:58 PM   8
Coolstar
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Active BnB Member

Thanks jenkb123, i am sorry for your mc but i pray that u get your bfp soon.I have not done follicle tracking just going with clomid.Did progesterone test last thur but yet to get my results.
Thank you so much for the info.At least there is some hope for ladies like us !!

Old Dec 11th, 2012, 23:49 PM   9
gustav72
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Active BnB Member

I'm sorry to hear about your miscarriage jenkb123...thoughts are with you. I'm glad they figured out how to kickstart ovulation for you! Keep us posted.

I got my FSH test and estrogen back....both were normal and my FSH was 6.6, which I was very happy about since I'm 40. I'm still unsure about the progesterone, but the interesting thing is I took my level on CD 22 but then started my period early on CD 25, so thinking the low level could be because it is supposed to dip before menstruation. We finally have an appointment scheduled with the infertility doctor on 1/10/13...in the meantime, we will try again this month and I will concentrate on keeping myself busy and not obsessing! I wish positive pregnancy tests for us all soon!

Old Dec 12th, 2012, 11:55 AM   10
Coolstar
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Active BnB Member

gustav72: Glad that your results came back normal.I am yet to get my results.Maybe u can check your progesterone once more, it might be fluke that your level was so low that time.