LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 14:21 PM   1
Surreygal
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

nearly 40 and fat!

Hello Ladies,

Have today reached that feeling that I really need to take action to improve my chances of getting pregnant, so need some advice please!

I am 39, 40 in 6 months, have one LO (19 months old) who took a good while to conceive and had two early miscarriages before successful pregnancy.

I also have a high BMI (around 40 - oh dear), so know I need to get that down and am on steroids for a long term illness - although hoping to come off them soon. I've read of people being on steroids to get pregnant, so be interested to hear if anyone has done that...

So apart from losing weight, please please please post any good advice on what I can do to get pregnant again! Or just share your story if you're in the same boat as me! Thanks

Old Mar 28th, 2013, 10:27 AM   2
Blythe
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Chat Happy BnB Member

let me make you feel immediately more positive by saying im 'nearly 41 and fat'

Over the time i have been TTC i have tried various bits and bods and the ones that have stuck are in my signature. I think all we can do is be as sensible as possible when it comes to diet and booze and cut out the obvious stuff. Get yourself some decent quality vits and manage stress levels as best you can with regard to work/family stuff. what works for one is no good for another so i cannot provide any decent specific advice other than keep going and keep being as positive as you can be. The majority of women seem to get pregnant in the end so odds are you will too

I believe those sugar highs and lows i get play havoc with my hormones but i just cannot go a day without chocolate.....but i intend to dust off my juicer once this cold spell goes and regain some control over my eating. Its so difficult not to pig out when its this darn cold!

Old Mar 28th, 2013, 10:49 AM   3
weebubba
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Active BnB Member

I agree totally - I always gain in the cold months I call it my "winter coat"! I find it far easier to eat sensibly and drop a few pounds when the weather is beautiful.

Old Mar 29th, 2013, 11:37 AM   4
xxshellsxx
Pregnant (Expecting)
Chat Happy BnB Member

I'm 35 and i was fat until 5 months ago! BMI was 44.6 - I'm still overweight BMI now 32.3 but if you are looking to lose weight i can recommend slimming world extra easy plan... i've lost 3st.6lbs in 5 months and never felt better x

slimming world is real food, no faddy 'diet' and really really works, i've struggled with my weight all my adult life and i'm now lighter than i was when i was 21 and more hopeful that i might actually be a mother one day! xx

Old Mar 29th, 2013, 14:07 PM   5
Bravemom
Mum (Mom)
BnB Elite

Hi Hun ,I'm 45 and been trying for my fifth for seven years ,I've also had a bmi of 42 and lost 65 pounds getting it down to about 30 but still no luck Do you temp and use opks Hun or softcups and pre seed ?fixed you get a sticky bean soon

Old Apr 1st, 2013, 13:47 PM   6
Surreygal
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravemom View Post
Hi Hun ,I'm 45 and been trying for my fifth for seven years ,I've also had a bmi of 42 and lost 65 pounds getting it down to about 30 but still no luck Do you temp and use opks Hun or softcups and pre seed ?fixed you get a sticky bean soon
Ok, I definitely need help - I have no idea what opks is, or softcups, or pre seed - hope you can shed some light for me, thanks

Old Apr 4th, 2013, 13:52 PM   7
faithrainbow
Trying to conceive (TTC)
New BnB member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreygal View Post
Ok, I definitely need help - I have no idea what opks is, or softcups, or pre seed - hope you can shed some light for me, thanks
opk = ovulation predictor kit.
pre seed = a lubricant that's sperm-friendly (normal lubes can inhibit/kill sperm)
softcups = Instead Softcups are plastic cups (similar to a diaphragm) but you can put it in AFTER doing the deed, to keep the spermies close to the cervix. Softcups were designed to be an alternative to tampons during your period, but the fertility folks have taken them for their own purposes.

I just ordered some Pre-seed and Softcups! I'm excited to try them. Every little helps, right?

Old Apr 6th, 2013, 13:25 PM   8
Surreygal
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithrainbow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreygal View Post
opk = ovulation predictor kit.
pre seed = a lubricant that's sperm-friendly (normal lubes can inhibit/kill sperm)
softcups = Instead Softcups are plastic cups (similar to a diaphragm) but you can put it in AFTER doing the deed, to keep the spermies close to the cervix. Softcups were designed to be an alternative to tampons during your period, but the fertility folks have taken them for their own purposes.

I just ordered some Pre-seed and Softcups! I'm excited to try them. Every little helps, right?
Aha, all makes sense now, thank you!!!!

Old Apr 6th, 2013, 18:23 PM   9
ragae32
Mum (Mom)
Inactive

I agree totally