LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 08:06 AM   31
Regin7
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Active BnB Member

Hi! I was 36 when started TTC. Unfortunately we had to take some of the assisted conception routes. Unfortunately 1 round clomid, 2 fresh cycles ivf with own eggs didn't bring success. Though time flew we had to take a long 1 year break to heal mentally, physically and emotionally. Then finally we were told we needed donor egg for the procedure. Fortunately our overseas clinic didn't have age limits only age limits.
So I'm driving to the point that as far as you have your eggs healthy and you feel strength and have great desire to have another baby -- just do it!

Old Dec 23rd, 2016, 15:13 PM   32
TTC74
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict

I'm 42 and expecting a rainbow baby girl in February. I have two grown DDs. So, I was terrified of the increased risks. After a ton of testing, though, it looks like our baby girl will be as healthy as can be (fingers crossed!). We did struggle to conceive for 2.5 years with two losses, but it was worth it in the end. Good luck to you!

Old Dec 23rd, 2016, 17:31 PM   33
lucy_smith
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Chat Happy BnB Member

i think it depends on the individuals. i was 23 when i fell pregnant with my 1st and currently ttc my 2nd. was ntnp/ttc for 2 years with my first and been ttc over 1 year for my second. ( soooo glad i started ttc sooner rather than later due to this reason)

reasons for me ttc so young is because i have endo. which can cause fertility issues. i also didnt want to wait because my mum and grandma went through menopause early ( pretty much over and done with at 40) which is another reason for me not to leave it late as in my head my fertility could peak sooner than most.

but if you are healthy enough and loving the idea of a baby then go for it!!

Old Feb 16th, 2017, 09:43 AM   34
Sarahh89
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member

In my opinion, all over 40 is too old because the older you get, the higher risk that your baby will get ill or some kind of syndrome (ex. Down)

Old Feb 16th, 2017, 12:02 PM   35
lisap2008
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahh89 View Post
In my opinion, all over 40 is too old because the older you get, the higher risk that your baby will get ill or some kind of syndrome (ex. Down)
The risk does increase with age but there is a risk of birth defects with all ages.
I have seen very young women have very ill babies, some with down syndrome or other birth defects and I have seen women aged 40+ some even 45+ have perfectly healthy babies some with donor eggs and some with their own eggs. it all comes down to genetics and how well you take care of yourself , age is just a number, taking 3mg of folate every day helps prevent birth defects in all ages.
I dont think a woman should stop trying do to risks there are risks in everything, there are risks in even young women TTC. So if you think 40 is too old then you don't try over 40 ,
other women are free to do as their heart desires and many blessings to all women trying.

Old Feb 16th, 2017, 15:10 PM   36
CaliDreaming
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisap2008 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahh89 View Post
The risk does increase with age but there is a risk of birth defects with all ages.
I have seen very young women have very ill babies, some with down syndrome or other birth defects and I have seen women aged 40+ some even 45+ have perfectly healthy babies some with donor eggs and some with their own eggs. it all comes down to genetics and how well you take care of yourself , age is just a number, taking 3mg of folate every day helps prevent birth defects in all ages.
I dont think a woman should stop trying do to risks there are risks in everything, there are risks in even young women TTC. So if you think 40 is too old then you don't try over 40 ,
other women are free to do as their heart desires and many blessings to all women trying.
I totally agree.

Also it should be mentioned that even though the risks increase with age, overall they still remain very low. And with anything, a woman's individual circumstances are going to trump age every time.

Old Feb 16th, 2017, 15:37 PM   37
AngelUK
Mum (Mom)
BnB Elite

Agreed^.
Sarahh89 it is easy to judge women of over 40 to be too old when you are fertile and in your 20s (which I assume the 89 indicates) but reality is different when you actually reach that age. Thank goodness, or I would be childless.

Old Feb 17th, 2017, 08:05 AM   38
BunnyN
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member

I think its something each couple have to decide for themselves taking the risks into account. I used to think I wouldnt have children over 35 when I was younger. Like you say its different when you get to that age. I think one of the biggest factors is that at some point you actually won't be able to get pregnant anymore so for those who are younger and thinking of waiting I would say dont wait too long but if you are already that age and want to try go for it.

Old Feb 17th, 2017, 08:11 AM   39
TTC74
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict

I'm staring at a beautiful, healthy baby girl born 3 days ago to her very grateful 42 year old mum (yours truly). I have two grown daughters who have grown into wonderful young women, but IMO, this little girl will have an even better upbringing thanks to the patience I have learned over the past two decades.

Old Feb 17th, 2017, 09:01 AM   40
CaliDreaming
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict

Awwww, congratulations TTC74!! Was she a Valentine's baby?? My daughter was also born on Valentine's Day!