LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 26th, 2016, 06:47 AM   1
Malia123
Waiting To Try (WTT)
New BnB member

How old is too old?

We have been blessed with there beautiful daughters and would love to TTC again. I am 37yo, my husband is 42 yo. Is this too old?

I am a little scared because there is so much talk about elevated risks.

I would love to hear your stories.

Old Jun 26th, 2016, 07:31 AM   2
mumlol
Pregnant (Expecting)
Inactive

there is more risks but imo ur not 2 old x

Old Jun 26th, 2016, 07:42 AM   3
BunnyN
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member

I am 36, 37 when #3 is born. We had our first at 33 and second at 35. I have always gotten pregnant easily but we have also had two losses. Lots of women, even younger ones, have MCs but I do think my age may have been a factor. Other than that we have not had any age related problems, except maybe a bit of high BP in pregnancy. I guess there are risks at any age so you just have to be aware of them and decide what you are comfortable with. Despite there being higher risk factors you still have a high chance of having a successful pregnancy at 37. By 40 your chances drop quite drastically.

Old Jun 26th, 2016, 11:07 AM   4
vix1972
Waiting To Try (WTT)
Active BnB Member

I am 43 and will be 44 when I have my 2nd one. First one is 21 this year and has her own baby girl! You are as old as you feel. I have looked after my granddaughter alot over the past 7 months since she was born and they do make you feel younger. Mind you we were going to have the should we hold any hope still talks when we both hit 45.

I have also lost 5 stone in weight, given up smoking, became vegetarian and tried this exercise lark so my body is fitter than it was when I had my DD at 23!

Old Jun 27th, 2016, 12:57 PM   5
CaliDreaming
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict

I gave birth to my first child at age 36 and my second at age 39, just 3 months shy of my 40th birthday. If all goes as planned we will be TTC a third child in November.

As for your question, I don't think there is a black-and-white answer to this. The answer is going to depend on your individual health, genetics and family history. A 20 something with multiple health issues may have more problems that a 40+ year old in excellent health. It all depends.

Statistically 35+ year old women do find it more difficult, but what other 35+ year old women may experience will have no bearing on what your experience will be.

Old Jun 28th, 2016, 03:26 AM   6
Malia123
Waiting To Try (WTT)
New BnB member

Thank you, mumioi, BunnyN, vix1972 and CaliDreaming!

We already have three beautiful daughters. I would LOVE to have another baby but it is fair for them? What if something happens to me or the child is born with a disability?

I know my husband would love to have a boy. There is a special bond between father and son.

My health is fine. I had three healthy pregnancies and natural births.

Nobody in my family ever had a child after 35 but I think it is just because they completed their family planning before.

I would love to have another baby but don't know if I am brave enough.

Old Jun 28th, 2016, 09:23 AM   7
CaliDreaming
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict

Maybe you could have a fertility workup with an RE. It might be helpful to know what your FSH levels are as well as your other hormones to determine what your actual risk may be.

Also keep in mind that the opinion in the medical community is ever evolving on its opinions regarding the effect of age on fertility. Some researchers are starting to revise the standard warnings on childbirth over 35.

Old Jun 28th, 2016, 23:46 PM   8
Katie Potatie
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member

No way too old!! Had my first at 32 and second at 37. My husband was 47 and 52. My OB didn't even classify me as "advanced maternal age," at 37, which some doctor's offices do. They only classified as AMA if you were 40 AND had a health condition that could impact the pregnancy like heart issues, pre-existing diabetes, etc. If your heart calls you both to try again, then do!

Old Jun 30th, 2016, 03:05 AM   9
vermeil
Other
Chat Happy BnB Member

The increase in odds of issues is small! And even then overall the odds are stil small. There are lots of articles on it. I had my kids at 38 and almost 42. Good luck.

Old Jun 30th, 2016, 03:17 AM   10
Larkspur
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict

When I first read your title, I thought to myself, "Well, 45 for the woman is probably pushing the boat out a bit." Then I read that you're 37!!! I was 36 with my first and 38 with my second and am far from the oldest mum I know! My OH was 48 and 50. No trouble with conceiving or either pregnancy.

SEO by vBSEO