LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 17:49 PM   1
mobaby1975
Trying to conceive (TTC)
New BnB member

IVF - 5 embryo transfer?

Hi-

I'm 41, and just had a retrieval of 11 eggs, and 8 fertilized. I am still waiting to hear about embryo quality tomorrow, which could help influence my decision of how many to transfer. My Dr. is recommending a transfer of 5 embryos if it's on day 3, and 3 blasts if it's on day 5.

The numbers seem insanely high to me, but they continue to recommend it based on my age.

Has anyone transferred this many, or been given that advice?

I feel very confused, as all of my friends who have gone thru IVF thought these numbers were really high.

I would love to know if anyone out there has been given similar advice by their Dr. Thank you!

Old Feb 10th, 2017, 13:15 PM   2
PaisleeHeart
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Active BnB Member

Hi! I am also 41 years old and retrieved 10 eggs yesterday, only 6 were mature and 5 fertilized. We had originally planned for a frozen cycle but, I thought we'd have more to PGS. Now I am wondering if I am going to switch to day 5 transfer. From what I've read, I would only transfer 1 or 2 on day 5 and freeze any remaining. My doc will only transfer 2 blasts. 3 does seem high to me.... (I don't have any input on day 3 because it was never a consideration for us.)

Old Feb 10th, 2017, 14:06 PM   3
gingmg
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict

That seems high to me as well. I don't think my clinic will transfer anymore than 3 at a time at the very most. Have you posted this question in the Assisted Conception section? You might find you get more responses there as well.

Old Feb 23rd, 2017, 16:17 PM   4
futurebbmoma
On a break (TTC)
Active BnB Member

In 2014 I had my first IVF fresh transfer. They put back 4 day3 blasts.
2 graded B and 2 graded C

My last (5th) embryo was frozen. I wish that I had frozen more and put less back as fresh. I got pregnant from the frozen transfer but it ultimately failed. Had I frozen more embryos I could have tried again with another FET. But at the time I just wanted the best possible chance for the fresh transfer to work. I think my body responded better to the preparation with FET and I may have had a better outcome with more tries at it. Or maybe not! Something to consider when deciding how many to put back.

Old Mar 1st, 2017, 19:50 PM   5
vermeil
Other
Chat Happy BnB Member

Hello! At 41 I had an ivf cycle, they extracted 22 eggs (!) I overreacted to the stims, then almost cancelled the cycle but at the last minute the docs decided to go ahead.

Of the 22, 11 fertilized and we had 6 3day embryos. We transferred 2, we had an early miscarriage at 6 weeks. We had a fet cycle, put 2 more and that gave me my beautiful daughter.

I think fet cycles have better success rates than fresh because our bodies are not awash in horhomes but of course I'm not an expert. 5 seems a lot to me too.

Old Apr 20th, 2017, 15:52 PM   6
Aleriya
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Active BnB Member

I know I'm late to this forum, but 5 embryo's is very high. My partner is 42, and our Dr. will only do 2 embryo's on a 5 day transfer. I believe 3 is the ethical max they will allow for a 3 day transfer. However, success rates with a 5 day are supposed to be higher, which is why we are going with the 2 at 5 days. Best of luck, and I hope you have a successful cycle.

SEO by vBSEO